Assurant renters insurance review
You won’t see these coverage options everywhere — and customer experiences are mixed.
- Get a quote if you’re going to use the unique add-ons or you’re a Geico customer.
- Pick something else if you want top customer ratings.
- Many renters and their roommates can apply.
All 50 states
- Lets you add roommates
- Extra coverage included, plus helpful add-ons
- Low $100 or $250 deductible
- Geico insurance partner
- Mixed customer reviews
- Charges a $5 billing fee
- Few discounts
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Other discounts||Paying in full|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||No|
|Identity theft coverage||Optional|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Assurant brings a variety of offerings to your table, including coverage for mold, replacing your belongings at cost, roommate coverage and pet liability at no extra charge. It also offers protection for pet damage and paying your rent for added peace of mind. Plus, its Geico partnership adds credibility to this company’s name.
However, Assurant doesn’t provide many discounts, possibly leaving you with a higher rate than what’s standard. Combine that with its many customer reviews on both positive and negative sides, and you might land a better policy with another renters insurance company. Still, Assurant’s wide coverage may be worth a quote.
What renters insurance coverage does Assurant offer?
Assurant offers a wide variety of coverage, including several types not typically offered by renters insurance. Loss of use, food spoilage and bed bug coverage depends on your location. Coverage includes:
- Personal belongings. Protect your personal belongings anywhere in the world.
- Personal and property damage liability. Protect yourself from legal fees and others from medical bills or property damage that happens at your home — including injuries caused by your pets.
- Liability only. Opt for the minimum liability coverage if you live in a partnering community. You can add up to three roommates.
- Replacement cost for belongings. Pay to repair or replace damaged belongings at today’s cost, so you’re not paying the rest out of pocket.
- Roommates. Add your roommates to your policy so they’re covered for liability and damage to their personal belongings up to the policy limits.
- Mold damage. Covers injuries or property damage caused by dry rot, fungi or mold.
- Limited loss of use. Reimburses extra living expenses if you need to evacuate because of flooding or power outages. This coverage may be limited to certain cases.
- Food spoilage. Cover the cost of food spoiling in your refrigerator or freezer after a power outage.
- Bed bugs. Pay for professional bed bug treatment, additional living expenses and damaged belongings.
What add-on renters coverage does Assurant offer?
Assurant stands out with its extra offerings while still providing a few add-ons you’d expect, including:
- Water sewer backup. Repair or replace damaged belongings after a backed-up drain or sewer causes water damage.
- Identity fraud. Protect yourself from expenses related to restoring your identity and recovering fraudulent charges.
- Pet damage. Repair damage your pet causes to the rental.
- Earthquake. Pay for damaged belongings and additional living expenses after an earthquake.
- Rent protection. Cover your rent even after you lose your job.
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
The main discounts you can get is through the payment plan you choose. You’ll get the best rate from Assurant by:
- Paying in full
- Paying in four payments
- Bundling with Geico insurance
Pros and cons of Assurant renters insurance
- Combine a policy with roommates. You can add your roommate to your policy so you can share coverage for liability and personal belongings.
- Extra coverage and helpful add-ons. Assurant includes several types of coverage you’d normally pay for and offers options you won’t find everywhere else.
- Low deductibles. Choose deductibles as low as $100 or $250.
- Geico insurance partner. The company writes renters policies for Geico, depending on your location. That means you can manage your policy and receive discounts through Geico, too.
- Mixed customer reviews. Many customers leave positive reviews on Trustpilot, praising the company’s quick claims. However, customers also leave negative reviews on the Better Business Bureau for a rough claims process, including over 1,200 complaints filed as of November 2019.
- Charges a billing fee. Unless you pay in full, you’ll see a $5 billing fee on each payment you make.
- Few discounts. You might find a better rate with a competitor since Assurant offers few discounts.
How to apply for Assurant renters insurance
Assurant keeps its online application smooth with a few, simple steps:
- Go to the Assurant website.
- Click Get my price.
- Enter your address and click Get my price.
- Answer basic questions about yourself and click Submit or wait for the next question.
- Choose your start date and hit Continue.
- Choose your coverage add-ons, limits and deductible. Click Continue.
- Choose your coverage and limits, then select discounts you qualify for. Click Continue.
- Select your payment plan and click Continue.
- Enter your personal information, add any roommates and include payment information. Click Review details.
- Finalize and start your policy.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with Assurant?
The company will ask for this information when you’re applying for a policy:
- Type of property
- Number of claims within three years
- Pet information
- Policy start date
- Coverage and deductible needed
- Phone number
- Date of birth
- Roommate details
- Payment information