Assurant home insurance review
Shelter against nearly any type of home damage, high-risk homes included.
- Get a quote if you want to work with an agent who can help you find the best policy.
- Pick something else if you’d like to get an online quote or shop directly with insurers.
- High-risk homes may be able to get coverage with Assurant.
AZ, CA, DC, FL, GA, IL, KY, MN, NY, OH, PA, SC, SD, TX, WA, WI
- Accepts most homes
- Available in over 40 states
- Service through local agents
- No online quoting
- Little online information
- Few discounts
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||No|
|Valuable personal property||No|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Andrew Flueckiger is a licensed insurance agent and Certified Insurance Counselor with experience in insurance and finance. A graduate of Indiana University, Andrew contributes a wealth of knowledge and experience to Finder. When Andrew isn’t writing, reading or practicing insurance, he can be found spending time with his family and playing the guitar.
Assurant is available in most states and will insure almost any type of home. But since it’s only offered through independent insurance agents, you’ll have to ask specifically for an Assurant quote since agents will have more standard insurance options also.
If you have a home that’s not in great condition, it might be worth talking to your agent about home insurance with Assurant. To see how Assurant compares with other insurance options, you can compare different insurance companies here.
What home insurance coverage does Assurant offer?
Assurant offers a standard home insurance policy with fairly broad coverage.
- Preferred program. Assurant’s preferred home program offers more competitive rates and broader coverage options, though it has stricter program requirements.
- Non-preferred program. If your home is in disrepair and doesn’t qualify for the preferred program, you can still get coverage with Assurant’s non-standard program.
- Open perils. Assurant’s only policy type offers open peril coverage, which essentially means your home is covered for almost anything. Note that this only applies to your physical home rather than your contents.
- Liability. Get coverage for lawsuits and defense costs if you’re sued for a number of reasons, like if someone gets hurt on your property.
- Water backup. Protect your home from water damage if your sump pump or water retention system fails and you have standing water in your house.
What home insurance discounts can I get?
Assurant only lists one discount on its homeowners policy, an alarm discount. You’ll see savings if you have a fire alarm or central alarm security system in your house.
Pros and cons of Assurant home insurance
- Can insure almost any type of home. With both a preferred home program and a nonstandard program, almost any type of home in any condition can be insured.
- Widely available. You can insure your home with Assurant in over 40 states, making it available nearly nationwide.
- Serviced through local agents. Assurant operates through local independent insurance agents, meaning you can talk with someone face-to-face about your policy.
- No online quoting or claims. You’ll have to contact a local agent to get a home insurance quote or file a claim, as Assurant doesn’t offer either service online.
- Information is hard to find. You won’t find much info about its home insurance product on its website, meaning you’ll need to call or talk to your local agent to find out more.
- Limited discounts. Assurant only offers one discount on its home insurance policies.
How to apply for Assurant home insurance
In order to get a quote or apply with Assurant, you’ll need to contact a local independent agent that offers Assurant.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Assurant?
When talking with a local Assurant agent, you’ll likely need the following personal and property information:
- Prior address if you recently move
- Phone number
- Marital status
- Prior insurance company
- Prior claims in the past five years
- Mortgage information
- Type of house
- Age of house
- Age of roof
- Year of home updates
- Square footage
- Detached structures
- Dogs owned
- Valuables you want to insure