Associated Bank American Express® Cash Rewards Credit Card review
A no-annual-fee credit card with accelerated cash back on gas purchases.
- Get this card if you mostly spend on gas.
- Pick something else if you want a higher rewards rate.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 3%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 6 billing cycles (then 13.99% to 22.99% variable)
|Welcome offer||$25 after your first purchase|
|Rewards||3% on gas on up to 6,000 (then 1%), 2% at supermarkets, and 1% on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 6 billing cycles (then 13.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 6 billing cycles (then 13.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Associated Bank American Express® Cash Rewards Credit Card comes with accelerated cash back on gas and purchases made at supermarkets. You also get to earn a small welcome offer and save money on interest with a short intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases.
But these perks may not be enough to compete with similar credit cards, which often come with a more generous signup bonus and a longer intro APR period.
How to apply for the Associated Bank American Express® Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Visit the Associated Bank website and locate the card.
- Click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form with your personal and financial information.
- Request a balance transfer or add an authorized user if you want to.
- Review the application form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
Increase your chances of approval with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
- Cash back. Earn 3% cash back on gas purchases on the first $6,000 annually — after that, a 1% cash back applies. Earn 2% back at supermarkets and 1% back on all other purchases.
- Welcome offer. Earn $25 once you make your first purchase. This is low compared to similar cashback credit cards where you can earn up to $200 bonus.
- Intro APR period. Use your first 6 billing cycles to make balance transfers and purchases with a 0% intro APR. After that, a variable APR of 13.99% to 22.99% applies.
- No annual fee. Earn cash back and use the card’s perks without paying an annual fee.
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fees. Purchases made abroad or online with foreign merchants will incur a 2% fee if the transaction is made in US dollars. It will incur a 3% fee if it’s made in foreign currency.
- Balance transfer limitations. You can only use the 0% intro APR period if you make your transfers within 186 days of account opening.
Compare cash back credit cards
If you’re looking for a no-annual-fee credit card with rewards on purchases and gas made at supermarkets, the Associated Bank American Express® Cash Rewards Credit Card could be an option worth considering.
But make sure to compare similar credit cards because you may find one with better value.