Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to buy and sell Apple stock (AAPL)
Invest in this tech giant armed with news, trends and market history.
Synonymous with design and style, Apple is a tech favorite whose loyal community of customers buy everything it manufactures, from phones and tablets to desktops and smartwatches. Which makes it a popular choice for people who want to buy and sell its stock.
Recent stock performance of AAPL
Before investing in a company like Apple, review its past stock prices, recent news headlines and something called the moving average convergence/divergence — or MACD. MACD is a trading indicator that uncovers the strength, momentum and duration of a trend. Remember, past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Apple’s technical performance
Technical analysis is the mathematical study of a stock’s price based on its recent trends. You have many more ways than the MACD to analyze market trends. Here’s what several key technical indicators are saying about Apple’s current stock trend, according to charting service TradingView.
Apple’s financial performance
Review how Apple has performed as a company over the past three years.
|Apple financial reporting figures||Revenue||Operating income||Net income||Total assets||Total equity||Number of employees|
|2015||$233.715 billion||$71.230 billion||$53.394 billion||$290.479 billion||$119.355 billion||115,000|
|2016||$215.639 billion||$60.024 billion||$45.687 billion||$321.686 billion||$128.249 billion||116,000|
|2017||$229.234 billion||$61.344 billion||$48.351 billion||$375.319 billion||$134.047 billion||123,000|
Compare trading platforms that offer Apple stock
How to stay up to date with Apple stock
When buying or selling stock in a company, pay attention to its current affairs by monitoring elements like:
- Financial reporting. Know when a company typically releases its financial reports. These reports can let you know how the company is performing, which affects the stock price. Apple reports annually on September 30th.
- Company news. Keep an eye on the news. New releases, new countries or markets and hiring and firing staff can all affect a company’s stock.
- Wider news. Be aware of external events and news that can affect Apple’s share price — for instance, news about the mobile industry or their competitors.
- Company dividends. Apple pays back some of its profits as dividends to its shareholders. Dividends can reveal the success of a brand.
- Shareholder meetings. Often held annually, these meetings invite large shareholders to attend and vote on matters relating to the company, pushing the direction of the company. Apple hosts its shareholder meeting annually in February.
Things to consider
Before investing in any company, know the answers to key questions like:
- What does the company do? This might sound silly for a company like Apple. But if you can’t explain what the company does in a few sentences, do some research before investing.
- Is it making profits? If you’re not sure whether a company is profitable, it could be a red flag. You can read Apple’s quarterly or annual earnings reports and look at the figures for yourself.
- Who are the main competitors? Know if the company is a market leader, a newcomer or a fast-growing disrupter. If the company you’re considering operates globally, you need to keep an eye on foreign competition, too.
- Who runs the company? It’s easy to track down who runs a company, and any decent company lists its senior managers too. Knowing the leaders can tell you something about the company’s stability and management style.
- Is the company’s position sustainable? If you’re looking for a long-term investment, you need to evaluate the likelihood of the company sticking around. If you’re looking for a short-term gain, this is less important.
- Is there room for future growth? Look at the company’s outlook for medium- to long-term growth to determine whether it’s reached its maximum size or has room to grow.
Apple is an industry leader, which means that it’s a popular choice for buying and selling stocks. Before purchasing shares through an investment or brokerage account, though, do your research and make sure you’re comfortable with the risk.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert