Ready to upgrade your Mac, iPad or iPhone?
Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales are upon us, when retailers the world over slash prices. And shoppers lose their minds over the best discounts and deals of the year.
This year, among the most attractive discounts on the horizon are Apple’s typically pricey iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. But how much can you expect to save this upcoming Black Friday? And is the Apple Store really the best place to shop?
Shop Apple devices and accessories now available at Amazon
Shop from the official Apple Store on Amazon and take advantage of your Prime benefits
Buy Apple iPhone XS now
Apple sale event: Save on Apple products and accessories
Savings on iMacs, iPads, iPhones and more
5% off everything with Target REDcard
Our top product picks for Black Friday and Cyber MondayBest Buy, Amazon, Walmart and other top retailers often beat Apple to the punch to sell the brand’s products at discounted prices. Here’s the best of what we found in 2017 to give you an idea of what to expect.
Apple iPad Pro
Is Apple participating in Black Friday and Cyber Monday?
True to its history, Apple isn’t labeling any sales “Black Friday” or “Cyber Monday” this year, but the company is holding its own four-day shopping event that just so happens to coincide with these huge shopping days.
From November 23, 2018 to the 26th, you’ll find exclusive savings on select Apple products. Here’s a rundown of some of the biggest offers in 2018:
- Get a $50 Apple Store Gift Card when you buy select SIM-free iPhone models.
- Get an Apple Store Gift Card of up to $100 when you buy select iPad models.
- Get a $200 Apple Store Gift Card when you buy select Mac models.
- Get a $50 Apple Store Gift Card when you buy Apple Watch Series 3.
- Get a $50 Apple Store Gift Card when you buy HomePod. Or a $25 gift card when you buy Apple TV.
- Get a $50 Apple Store Gift Card when you buy select Beats.
Save on Apple products at Target’s Black Friday sale
Even if Apple doesn’t exactly get in on Black Friday sales, you still might be able to save some cash on those expensive tech gifts at Target’s Black Friday sale. The Target REDcard may just free up more of your holiday budget when you take advantage of these perks:
- Save 5% on Target and Target.com purchases. The Target REDcard offers a 5% discount on qualified purchases at Target stores and online. If you’re planning on making a big purchase on Apple products, this could be a sizable discount.
- Early access to Black Friday deals. Cardholders get access to select deals online on November 21 — a full two days earlier than Black Friday.
- Free two-day shipping on qualifying orders. Use the REDcard and spend $35 or more to qualify for free two-day shipping — and let’s be honest, you’ll easily meet that minimum when buying Apple products.
- 30-day extended returns. Get an extra 30 days on top of the normal return window when you buy with the REDcard. This applies to purchases made at Target locations and Target.com.
Our pick for Black Friday savings: Target REDcard™ Credit CardRead more
Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals on Apple products
Will I find deals on the new Apple iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max?
While Apple isn’t offering any direct discounts on its products right now, you might be able to find deals when you purchase them through other retailers.
If you’ve lived outside the buzz, Apple’s latest models include premium features like:
- A12 Bionic processor, beating even the fastest MacBook.
- IP68 certification, rated to survive in up to 2 meters of water for up to half an hour.
- Updated cameras, with Smart HDR.
- Editable depth effects and improved portrait photos.
- 512GB storage option for half a terabyte of space on your phone.
- Dual SIM reader for easy transition between networks.
The fanciest of new features don’t come cheap: Prices start at $999 and go up to an astonishing $1,349. The XS Max is even more spendy, with prices ranging from $1,099 to $1,449. Cross your fingers that they go on sale this Black Friday.Back to top
Will I find Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals on the Apple iPhone X?
Called the most expensive iPhone ever, the iPhone X retails anywhere from $999 to $1,490. It’s not surprising that lots of Macheads are wondering if they’ll snag a Black Friday deal on this hot product.
Now that it’s been out a while, expect to see discounts on the iPhone X — though not through Apple. The best deals appear to be through providers like Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint.Back to top
Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals on the Apple iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
If you’re looking for the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus, you could be in luck. These phones were discounted even in 2017, which makes even greater savings likely in 2018.
Here’s how customers scored in 2017:
- Save $200 at Best Buy with AT&T, Sprint or Verizon activation.
- Earn a $250 Target gift card with AT&T, Sprint or Verizon activation.
- Earn a $300 Walmart gift card with AT&T or Verizon activation.
How to save on Apple products on Cyber Monday
Cyber Monday is another huge shopping event for big-ticket electronics, including Apple iPhones, iPads and computers. In years past, Apple offered the deepest discounts on older models, saving smaller savings for the latest phones, tablets and laptops.
This year, Apple customers can expect a similar situation. But to take advantage of Cyber Monday, your best bet may be other retailers, given Apple itself doesn’t typically take part in Cyber Monday’s price slashing.
Many of the same iPhone deals you can get on Black Friday will likely be available throughout Cyber Weekend and into Cyber Monday. Shoppers can also expect iPads, MacBooks, Apple watches and accessories on sale for Cyber Monday from stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Kohl’s and Newegg.
What’s the best credit card for shopping online
If you’re planning on spending hundreds — possibly thousands — of dollars online this holiday season. Here are four top rewards credit cards to get you the most bang for your buck:
|Rewards credit cards||What you can earn|
|American Express Cash Magnet® Card||Unlimited 1.5% Cash Back||Learn more|
|HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card||Unlimited 1.5% Cash Back||Learn more|
|Target REDcard™ Credit Card||Save 5% at Target and get free 2-day shipping||Learn more|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express||Earn $250 after spending $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months||Learn more|
How to save on Apple products on Cyber Monday
The Apple Store doesn’t usually participate in Cyber Monday sales, so you’ll have to look elsewhere to save on your fave Apple products. Be on the lookout for price cuts on popular Apple phones, laptops, tablets, accessories and more from other retailers, like Amazon, eBay, Best Buy, Walmart, Target and Newegg.
In previous years, most retailers that slashed prices on Apple products for Black Friday carried those same deals through the weekend and into Cyber Monday.
How can I save on previous generation of iPhones?
While you might not find huge deals on the latest Apple releases, you can save big on previous models. Here are a few tips for finding older generation iPhones for less on Black Friday and Cyber Monday:
- Look for refurbished and second-hand iPhones from retailers like eBay, MacMall, Newegg and Best Buy.
- The iPhone SE is one of the most affordable iPhones available, but you’ll need to get it from a marketplace or other retailer, since the Apple Store no longer carries this model.
- Check out the iPhone 7. This model is a great mix of some of the latest technology and updates, but without the hefty price tag of the newest iPhones out there.
How can I get the iPhone X?
Apple stopped selling the iPhone X when it released the new XS and XR models in October 2018. The good news is that this means carriers and third-party retailers are also trying to get rid of their iPhone Xs, so you might be able to snap them up at a great price this year.
But don’t count out the XS or XR if you’re not entirely sold in the X. Here’s a rundown of some of the main differences between all three models:
- Has 3D Touch and a dual-camera setup
- Portrait mode
- OLED screen
- Does not have 3D Touch and a dual-camera setup
- Portrait mode
- LED screen rather than OLED screen
- Significantly cheaper than the X or XS
- 120Hz touch sensing for better touch response rate
- Smart HDR for even better photos
- OLED screen
Frequently asked questions
Photo by Julian O’Hayon on Unsplash