AmTrust commercial insurance review
Get workers’ compensation for small businesses.
- Get a quote if you need a customized or specialty business policy.
- Pick something else if you prefer personal risk advice.
- Many small- to medium-sized businesses can get coverage.
New car protection
|Description||AmTrust Financial Services is an industry-leading insurance provider, focusing on small business insurance solutions with an emphasis on workers’ compensation coverage.|
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|Payment schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly (fee applies)|
- Leader in worker’s compensation
- Flexible, customized policies
- Covers small businesses
- Safety training
- Established company
- Works through smaller companies
- No personalized risk assessments
- No safety discounts
- May deny coverage for certain businesses
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Paid in full discount|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Other discounts||Not specified|
No info available
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
What commercial insurance does AmTrust offer?
AmTrust provides standard protection or flexible specialty coverage, such as:
- Business owners policy (BOP). Customize your policy to fit your business, including general liability, property and business interruption coverage.
- Workers’ compensation. Help your employees recover from workplace injuries while paying expenses for medical bills, lost wages and retraining.
- Employment practices liability insurance (EPLI). Pay legal fees if an employee files a case against your business for discrimination, sexual harrassment or wrongful demotion or termination.
- Cyber liability. Cover expenses related to cyber attacks such as legal fees or the cost to repair your computer systems.
- Website media content liability. Use this branch of cyber liability to cover plagiarism or accidental violation of privacy, copyrights or trademarks.
- State disability. Pay out lost wages if employees suffer short-term disabilities lasting a few weeks or months. Available for customers in New York or New Jersey.
- Excess and surplus. Get specialty coverage if your business requires customized, flexible policies like hospitals, real estate or contractors.
- Commercial packages. Offer insurance to your business customers with a range of options like general liability or product liability.
What features does AmTrust offer businesses?
This company helps you keep more profit by lowering business risks with several tools:
- Safety training. AmTrust provides training videos covering workplace, transportation and commercial property safety through an online account.
- Warranties. Protect your business bank account from equipment repairs, or extend services to your customers like vehicle service contracts or payment protection.
- VIP program. Select AmTrust insurance agents and wholesalers can receive 25% of the underwriting income that flows through their business, on top of commission.
- Opioid prescription risk report. An initiative to lower opioid use among employees for workplace injuries. This decreases prescription drug claims and improves employee health.
- PolicyWire. The company blog provides news and updated information about accident risks and prevention.
How reliable is AmTrust?
AmTrust has a B- rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) due to several unanswered complaints. The company isn’t accredited by the BBB. However, it does have a strong financial rating of A- from AM Best and has established itself in 34 countries, suggesting business stability.
Where can I get commercial insurance from AmTrust?
AmTrust is a global company that includes coverage throughout the US.
Is Wesco Insurance Company part of AmTrust?
Yes, AmTrust acquired Westco Insurance Company in 2008, and all Westco policies were transferred to AmTrust or canceled by policyholders. Westco was a fire and casualty insurer before AmTrust’s purchase. Wesco now acts as a holding company and does not sell insurance directly anymore.
Pros and cons of AmTrust
- Flexible policies. As your business grows you can add and update coverages so that your offering is always tailored to the needs of your employees and customers.
- Safety training. The company includes training videos to prevent injuries and damage.
- Leader in workers’ compensation. AmTrust is the fourth largest US insurer for workers’ compensation.
- Established company. AmTrust has holdings in 34 countries with high financial ratings from AM Best.
- Covers small businesses. Despite its global size, AmTrust builds policies customized to small-business risks too.
- Works through smaller companies. AmTrust owns and partners with multiple companies, possibly leading to confusing communication.
- No personalized risk assessments. The company doesn’t advertise giving risk assessments to your specific business, although it does provide safety training.
- No safety discounts. Competitors may offer savings for improving business safety.
- May deny coverage for certain businesses. AmTrust doesn’t work with some nonprofits and prefers low-risk companies in industries like transportation or restaurants.
Alternatives to Assurance
How to contact AmTrust
Get in touch with company representatives by phone, contact form or mail.
- Phone. Call a representative at 877-528-7878.
- Contact form. Fill out the contact form on AmTrust’s contact page and get a return call or email.
- Snail mail. Send mail to:
- AmTrust Financial Services, Inc.
- 59 Maiden Lane
- New York, NY 10038
AmTrust customizes policies to your business needs, with a focus on worker’s compensation for small businesses. However, the company doesn’t work with every business type or provide personalized risk advice. Find out how AmTrust stacks up to other business insurers out there.