Amica renters insurance review
Enjoy the best benefits by bundling or earning credits toward future home insurance.
- Get a quote if you plan to bundle with car insurance.
- Pick something else if you want nonstandard coverage options.
- Many renters can apply.
All 50 states
- Top-notch business ratings
- Earn credits for home insurance
- Multiple discounts
- Excellent car insurance for bundling
- Standard coverage
- Can’t buy a policy online
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||No|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Amica makes a statement with its consistent top customer service rankings from J.D. Power. Those rankings make it competitive despite not being the largest insurance company out there. This company also offers stellar car insurance, so consider bundling for car coverage options and discounts.
On the flipside, you can probably find more options with another company if you’re wanting additional benefits or protection. Get a quote if you want top-rated customer service and only need basic coverage, but always compare other renters insurance quotes to find the best fit for you.
What renters insurance coverage does Amica offer?
Amica keeps its coverage simple with these standard offerings:
- Personal property
- Personal liability
- Loss of use
- Personal property replacement cost
- Scheduled personal property
- Smart devices and computers
- Identity fraud
- Water backup and sump pump overflow
What does Amica’s essential coverage package include?
Amica offers a coverage package with wide protection — and choosing the package can speed up your online quote process. Coverage includes:
- Up to $20,000 for personal property
- $300,000 for liability
- $1,500 for computers
- Identity fraud coverage
- $100 homeowner credit for each year with Amica, up to $500
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
You can snag several discounts on your renters policy, including:
- Claim-free discount after three years
- Bundle car and renters to save up to 15%
- Loyalty discount after two years
Pros and cons of Amica renters insurance
- Earn credits for home insurance. You can earn a $100 credit each year you keep an Amica renters policy. Amica applies that credit when you switch to a home policy.
- Top-notch business ratings. Amica consistently earns the top spot for its customer service from the J.D. Power Property Claims Satisfaction Study, including in 2019. It also holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau as of December 2019.
- Multiple discounts. Qualify for multiple easy discounts, plus avoid billing fees with autopay. These discounts aren’t always offered with renters insurance.
- Excellent car insurance. Bundling could serve you well here since you can get free perks, wide coverage and stellar customer service with Amica’s car insurance.
- Standard renters coverage. This company has standout offerings for car and home policies, but mostly basic choices for renters.
- Can’t buy a policy online. You’ll have to call a representative after getting your quote to purchase coverage.
How to apply for Amica renters insurance
Although you can see a quote online, you’ll end up talking with a representative either way to purchase a policy. Follow these steps to apply:
- Got to the Amica website.
- Select Renters, choose your state and click Get a quote.
- Answer basic questions about your current insurance. Click Continue.
- Fill in basic personal information, read the disclosure and click Start my quote.
- Answer questions about your rental space and safety features. Click Continue after each set of questions.
- Add optional coverage and click Get your quote.
- Review your quote and edit coverage if needed. If you agree to your quote, click Continue to buy.
- You’ll be prompted to call 844-395-4418 to finalize your policy.
Phone. Reach a representative over the phone at 800-242-6422.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with Amica?
Keep your application process smooth by having some key information on hand:
- Current insurance company’s name and years insured
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Residence construction type
- Distance to fire station and fire hydrant
- Coverage needed
- Coverage start date
- Bank account or credit card information