Amica home insurance review
Lay a foundation of wide coverage from a highly acclaimed insurer.
- Get a quote if you value excellent customer service.
- Pick something else if you live in Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana or Mississippi.
- Many homeowners can apply, including home business entrepreneurs.
AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY
- Highly rated customer service
- Wide coverage, including replacement cost
- Dividend policies
- Not available in HI, FL, LA, MS
- Discounts vary by state
- May not have the lowest rates
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Amica’s claim to fame is its high customer service and claims ratings from J.D. Power. Also, helpful options like dividend policies, replacement cost and catastrophe coverage make this insurer stand apart from the pack.
However, perks vary between the states offering coverage and rates aren’t the most affordable on the market.
What home insurance coverage does Amica offer?
Protect your nest with wide options for your home and personal belongings, including:
- Personal liability. Take responsibility for injuries or personal property damage that happens on your property.
- Dwelling. Protect against unpreventable damage from fire, lightning, wind or hail.
- Dwelling replacement cost. Replace your home with 30% higher limits than standard dwelling coverage.
- Other structures. Other structures on your property get physical damage coverage too, including fences, sheds and garages.
- Personal property. Shelter personal belongings that aren’t permanently installed in your home like furniture, clothing and electronics.
- Personal property replacement cost. Replace your belongings with higher policy limits than standard coverage, based on the limit you choose.
- Loss of use. Let this coverage account for higher living costs for lodging and food if you’re living away from your home during major repairs.
- Valuable items. Protect your prized possessions like expensive jewelry or fine art from fire, theft and other covered events.
- Catastrophe. Bolster your home’s protection against earthquakes or flooding. This coverage includes a deductible.
- Identity fraud. Get reimbursed for unauthorized use of your credit card, plus advice for restoring your identity.
- Home business liability. Safeguard yourself and customers against injuries or damaged property if your business brings customers to your home.
- Home business equipment. Protect equipment and supplies from damage, such as your work desk, computer or photography equipment.
- Platinum Choice package. Get higher policy limits for liability, dwelling, personal property, plus separate coverage for valuable items, electronics, credit card fraud, water backups and business property. You also get extra loss assessment coverage for shared spaces like condos or gated communities.
What home insurance discounts can I get with Amica?
Get a few cozy discounts that are in line with the industry standard:
- Alarm system for having fire sprinklers, a fire alarm or theft alarm
- Automatic monitoring systems for temperature, gas leaks or water leaks
- Claim-free for three years.
- Dividends up to 20% of Amica’s profits that year
- New or remodeled home credit
Pros and cons of Amica home insurance
- Highly rated customer service. Amica was rated at the top for J.D. Power’s home insurance and property claims studies.
- Wide coverage, including replacement cost. The company has helpful options, like coverage for earthquakes or flooding, home businesses or its premium package with high coverage limits.
- Dividend policies. With a mutual company, you’ll get back up to 20% of your premium if Amica files fewer claims than expected each year.
- Not available everywhere. Home coverage is unavailable if you live in Hawaii, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi.
- Discounts vary by state. Your state might not get some of the discounts listed above.
How to apply for Amica home insurance
Amica has a simple application process, with a few quick steps:
- Click Get a quote from Amica’s homepage.
- Choose the type of insurance and your state. Click Submit.
- Answer basic questions about your current insurance. Click Continue.
- Enter basic personal information. Click Start my Quote.
- Fill in information about your home and click Continue.
- Include or deny optional coverage, review your information and click Get Your Quote.
- Edit coverage or choose the default limits and deductibles. Click Continue to buy.
- Finalize your payment and policy details and start coverage.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Amica?
Whip through your application in a few minutes with this key information handy:
- Phone number
- Year built
- Construction type
- Estimated replacement cost
- Coverage needs
- Payment information