Amica car insurance review Oct 2020
Get discounts, good driver rewards and other perks from this customer favorite.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want amazing customer service and discounts.
- Pick something else if your Amica quote is too expensive.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
- Pays dividends
- Discounts for safe driving, bundling and more
- Roadside assistance
- Available in 49 states
- Limited coverage area
- Can be expensive
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Amica might not be a household name everywhere in the US, but its customer service, great perks and dividend policy option make this provider worth considering. If you’re looking for comprehensive auto insurance coverage and are willing to pay for it, Amica might be the right choice for you.
Amica doesn’t have a lot of downsides. You won’t be able to get coverage in Hawaii, and while its customer satisfaction scores top the charts, there is the odd review with complaints. And sometimes that stellar service doesn’t come cheap, with some customers seeing rates slightly higher than the big national companies. That shouldn’t dissuade you from getting a quote, though, if you value great customer support.
Why choose Amica?
Amica scored 4.5 out of 5 stars in the finder rating scale, making it one of the highest rated car insurance providers. Amica has top scores in customer satisfaction, coverage options, discounts and financial stability.
The perks, great customer service, and competitive discounts make this provider best for those looking for comprehensive coverage at reasonable rates.
What's in this guide?
- Why choose Amica?
- How to apply for Amica car insurance
- How to find a local Amica agent near me
- What discounts can I get with Amica?
- What car insurance coverage does Amica offer?
- How does Amica bundling work?
- Amica car insurance reviews and complaints
- Pros and cons of Amica car insurance
- Alternatives to Amica
- Frequently asked questions about Amica car insurance
How to apply for Amica car insurance
You can get a quote for Amica auto insurance either online or by phone. However, you’ll need to speak with an agent to purchase a policy. To get started:
- Visit Amica’s home page, then look for the Get a quote section near the top
- Select your state and auto insurance from the drop-downs, then click Go
- Answer the preliminary questions then proceed to the next page
- Enter your personal information and email, then click Start my quote
- Enter your vehicle information, then proceed to the next step
- Enter driver information for anyone you plan to ensure
- Confirm all info, then click Get your quote
- If you’re satisfied with your quote, call 855-862-3026 to purchase coverage
Phone. To apply for auto insurance by phone, reach an agent at 800-242-6422.
What info do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including ZIP code
- Social Security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle information and registration
- Financial information
- Quote reference number, if you filled out an online quote
How to find a local Amica agent near me
To speak to a local Amica agent, search for the closest office location near you through the agent locator:
- Go to Amica’s contact page and scroll to the bottom.
- Enter your location and tap Search.
- See locations near you on the map or in the list window.
- You can see the address in the window. Or click View location details for the office phone number.
- Call the number or visit the office in person.
What discounts can I get with Amica?
Amica maintains a handful of discounts to lower your premiums. Discounts and eligibility can vary by state.
- Antitheft. Get a discount if your vehicle has an approved antitheft device installed
- Autopay. Sign up for automatic payments for quick savings.
- Claims free. Go without a claim for at least three years to get a discount.
- Defensive driver. Adult drivers who complete an approved driving course can get discounted rates.
- Good student. Rates drop for full-time students under 25 with good grades.
- Homeowner. If you own your home, you can qualify for a discount — even if you don’t insure it through Amica.
- Legacy. Qualify for a discount if you’re under age 30 and your parents have kept Amica auto insurance for at least 5 years.
- Loyalty. If you’ve kept continuous insurance with another company, you’ll save when switching to Amica.
- Multicar. Insure more than one car with Amica to save on your policies.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 30% by combining auto with home, condo, renter, life or umbrella insurance.
- Paid in full. Save when you pay your entire premium at once before the due date.
- Paperless. Sign up for electronic bills and policy documents to save more money.
- Safe vehicle. You may get discounts for adaptive headlights, electronic stability control, airbags, collision warnings or passive restraint seatbelts.
- Student away. If your child leaves the car at home when they go to college, you could get a discount.
What car insurance coverage does Amica offer?
- Collision. Provides coverage against damage to your vehicle from at-fault accidents.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for your vehicle on and off the road including collisions, weather damage, theft, vandalism, and more.
- Glass. You can choose who repairs or replaces your windshield, or Amica will help you find one. Plus, you won’t pay a deductible on repairs or replacement.
- Liability. Covers you when you are legally responsible for an accident.
- Medical. Get coverage for you and your passengers for injuries caused by an accident.
- Rental. Rental car reimbursement covers a replacement vehicle if your car is not drivable or in the shop.
- SR-22 insurance. If you’ve had a major driving infraction and need an SR-22, Amica can help.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist. Both property damage and bodily injury coverage is available in case the driver who causes the accident isn’t properly insured.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Amica offer?
Besides the standard comprehensive coverage and great customer service, Amica offers a number of perks and special programs to benefit customers:
- Car dealer network. A program and dealer network to help you get better prices when purchasing a new or used vehicle.
- Disappearing deductible. Earn Advantage Points with Amica Platinum Choice Auto and reduce your deductible or remove it altogether.
- Lifetime repair warranty. Amica has a network of over 1,200 certified repair shops with a lifetime warranty on claims-related repairs. And if your repairs aren’t covered, Amica can refer you to a repair shop.
- Lock and key replacements. No deductible for lock replacement when your keys are lost or stolen.
- Lost earnings. Full reimbursement for lost earnings if you attend court due to a claim at Amica’s request.
- New car replacement cost. Depreciation is not factored in when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of ownership.
- Platinum package. Extend your coverage with optional rewards, identity-theft protection, full glass coverage, rental car coverage up to $5,000 and more.
- Roadside assistance. Coverage for roadside assistance if you break down and need a tow or repair.
How does Amica bundling work?
Amica offers many insurance options for bundling discounts up to 30% off your premium. Many companies only bunlde auto with home or renters insurance.
Amica car insurance reviews and complaints
Amica holds solid customer support scores with an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau as of October 2020. However, about 75 customers have filed complaints with the BBB, citing poor customer service and that the company evades liability for collisions.
Other comparison sites like ValuePenguin and Policygenius praise Amica for its high customer support rankings, excellent claims process and wide list of coverage and discounts.
Keep in mind that customers often rate a product or service when they want to rant. You might not have the same experience if you choose this company. In contrast to the negative reviews, Amica holds a number of customer satisfaction awards from J.D. Power.
Amica Mutual Insurance user reviews
Pros and cons of Amica car insurance
- Stack up the discounts. Pay lower premiums for safe driving, bundling services, multiple cars, being a good student and more. Amica offers quite a long list of discounts compared to other insurers.
- Pays dividends. As a mutual insurance company, Amica offers a dividend to its policyholders at the end of each term — generally between 5% to 20% of your annual premium.
- Wide coverage and perks. Between a broad range of coverage, perks, and customer service, you can feel confident that you’re properly covered.
- Customer service. Amica took home the award for best customer satisfaction in the New England region from the J.D. Power 2019 Auto Insurance Study — its seventh win in a row.
- Mixed online reviews. You’ll find a smattering of negative reviews online about its customer service and coverage.
- Not available in Hawaii. Amica doesn’t offer policies in this state.
- Not always the cheapest. While competitive on pricing, expect to pay slightly higher premiums than with companies like Progressive or Geico, especially if you opt for the Platinum Choice Auto program.
Alternatives to Amica
See how Amica’s coverage and customer service fares alongside competitors. Tick the Compare box to see up to four companies’ features side by side.
Amica office locations
Amica has regional offices in the US to serve your needs if an office is close to you. Its locations include:
|Arizona||2075 W. Pinnacle Peak Road, Suite 110|
Phoenix, AZ 85027-1219
|California||3200 Park Center Drive, Suite 650|
Costa Mesa, CA 92626-7215
|California||1650 Corporate Circle, Suite 110|
Petaluma, CA 94954-6963
|Colorado||10375 Park Meadows Drive, Suite 650|
Lone Tree, CO 80124-6865
|Connecticut||101 East River Drive, Fifth Floor East|
Hartford, CT 06108
|Florida||11486 Corporate Boulevard, Suite 160|
Orlando, FL 32817-8350
|Florida||3109 W. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Suite 550|
Tampa, FL 33607-6240
|Georgia||2180 Satellite Boulevard, Suite 350|
Duluth, GA 30097-4939
|Illinois||2300 Cabot Drive, Suite 200|
Lisle, IL 60532-4618
|Indiana||14390 Clay Terrace Boulevard, Suite 209|
Carmel, IN 46032-3676
|Maryland||6711 Columbia Gateway Drive, Suite 410|
Columbia, MD 21046-2555
|Massachusetts||596 Paramount Drive|
Raynham, MA 02767-5172
|Massachusetts||1 Research Drive, Suite 401B|
Westborough, MA 01581-3958
|New Hampshire||5 Chenell Drive|
Concord, NH 03301-8540
|New Jersey||One Maynard Drive, Suite 1104|
Park Ridge, NJ 07656-1878
|New York||1 Park Place, Suite 303|
Albany, NY 12205-2687
|New York||370 Woodcliff Drive, Suite 100|
Fairport, NY 14450
|Nevada – National sales center||2475 Village View Drive, Suite 200|
Henderson, NV 89074
|North Carolina||8537 Six Forks Road, Suite 100|
Raleigh, NC 27615-6545
|Ohio||9277 Centre Pointe Drive, Suite 230|
West Chester, OH 45069-4844
|Oregon||5005 Meadows Road, Suite 350|
Lake Oswego, OR 97035-4287
|Pennsylvania||2 Walnut Grove, Suite 230|
Horsham, PA 19044-7704
|Rhode Island – Sales center||10 Amica Center Boulevard|
Lincoln, RI 02865-1167
|Rhode Island – Corporate office||100 Amica Way|
Lincoln, RI 02865-1156
|South Carolina||5 Independence Pointe, Suite 110|
Greenville, SC 29615-4538
|Texas||7500 Rialto Boulevard, Building II, Suite 200|
Austin, TX 78735-8552
|Texas||3001 Dallas Parkway, Suite 400|
Frisco, TX 75034-8637
|Texas||2150 Town Square Pl, #600|
Sugar Land, TX 77479-1465
|Washington||12410 East Mirabeau Parkway, Suite 500|
Spokane Valley, WA 99216-2293
|Virginia||4701 Cox Road, Suite 230|
Glen Allen, VA 23060-6802
Frequently asked questions about Amica car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.