Amica car insurance review Jul 2020
Get discounts, good driver rewards and other perks from this customer favorite.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want amazing customer service and discounts.
- Pick something else if your Amica quote is too expensive.
- Almost any driver can get coverage through Amica.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|Pay schedule||6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Pays dividends
- Discounts for safe driving, bundling and more
- Roadside assistance
- Available in 49 states
- Limited coverage area
- Can be expensive
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Amica might not be a household name everywhere in the US, but its customer service, great perks and dividend policy option make this provider worth considering. If you’re looking for comprehensive auto insurance coverage and are willing to pay for it, Amica might be the right choice for you.
Amica doesn’t have a lot of downsides. You won’t be able to get coverage in Hawaii, and while its customer satisfaction scores top the charts, there is the odd review with complaints. And sometimes that stellar service doesn’t come cheap, with some customers seeing rates slightly higher than the big national companies. That shouldn’t dissuade you from getting a quote, though, if you value great customer support.
Why choose Amica?
Amica scored 4.5 out of 5 stars in the finder rating scale, making it one of the highest rated car insurance providers. Amica has top scores in customer satisfaction, coverage options, discounts and financial stability.
The perks, great customer service, and competitive discounts make this provider best for those looking for comprehensive coverage at reasonable rates.
What car insurance coverage does Amica offer?
- Collision coverage. Provides coverage against damage to your vehicle from at-fault accidents.
- Comprehensive coverage. Coverage for your vehicle on and off the road including collisions, weather damage, theft, vandalism, and more.
- Glass coverage. You can choose who repairs or replaces your windshield, or Amica will help you find one. Plus, you won’t pay a deductible on repairs or replacement.
- Liability coverage. Covers you when you are legally responsible for an accident.
- Medical coverage. Get coverage for you and your passengers for injuries caused by an accident.
- Rental coverage. Rental car reimbursement covers a replacement vehicle if your car is not drivable or in the shop.
- SR-22 insurance. If you’ve had a major driving infraction and need an SR-22, Amica can help.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist. Both property damage and bodily injury coverage is available in case the driver who causes the accident isn’t properly insured.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Amica offer?
Besides the standard comprehensive coverage and great customer service, Amica offers a number of perks and special programs to benefit customers:
- Airbag repair. If your airbag deploys, Amica will cover the cost of repairing it.
- Bail bonds. Get up to $1,000 for bail.
- Car Connection. A program and dealer network to help you get better prices when purchasing a new or used vehicle.
- Convenient lock and key replacements. No deductible for lock replacement when your keys are lost or stolen.
- Disappearing deductible. Earn Advantage Points with Amica Platinum Choice Auto and reduce your deductible or remove it altogether.
- Lost earnings. Full reimbursement for lost earnings if you attend court due to a claim at Amica’s request.
- Lifetime claim repair warranty. Amica has a network of over 1,200 certified repair shops that provide a lifetime warranty on any claims-related repair work. And if you have auto repairs that aren’t covered, Amica can still refer you to a repair facility.
- No deduction on depreciation. Depreciation is not factored in when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of ownership.
- Platinum Choice Auto. Extend your auto insurance coverage with optional rewards, identity-theft protection, full glass coverage, rental car coverage up to $5,000 and more.
- Roadside assistance. Coverage for roadside assistance if you break down and need a tow or repair.
What discounts can I get with Amica?
Amica maintains competitive pricing on comprehensive car insurance coverage, but also offers a handful of discounts that can help further reduce your premiums. Keep in mind that discounts and eligibility requirements can vary by state.
- Antitheft. Receive a discount if your vehicle has an approved anti-theft device installed
- Autopay. Sign up for automatic payments to receive a discount.
- Claims free. Go without a claim for three or more years to get a discount.
- Defensive driver. Adult drivers who complete an approved driving course can get discounted rates.
- Good student. Rates can drop for full-time students under 25 with good grades.
- Homeowner. If you own your own home, you can qualify for a discount — even if you don’t have your homeowners insurance through Amica.
- Legacy. Qualify for a discount if you’re under age 30 and your parents have had an auto policy with Amica for at least 5 years.
- Loyalty. The more time spent with another insurer, the more you save for switching to Amica.
- Multicar. Insure more than one vehicle with Amica to save on your policies.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 20% by combining auto with home, condo, renter, life or umbrella coverage.
- Paid in full. Save money when you pay your entire premium before the due date on the first bill.
- Paperless. Sign up for electronic bills and policy documents to save some more.
- Safe vehicle. Discounts for having adaptive headlights, electronic stability control, airbags, collision warnings, passive restraints and more.
- Student away. If your child leaves the car at home when they go away to college, you could get a discount.
How does Amica bundling work?
Amica offers a variety of insurance options you can bundle to receive steep discounts up to 20% off your premium. Many insurance companies only offer discounts for bundling auto with home or renters insurance.
You can also buy these products with Amica:
- Wedding or event
- Small business
Pros and cons of Amica car insurance
- Stack up the discounts. Pay lower premiums for safe driving, bundling services, multiple cars, being a good student and more. Amica offers quite a long list of discounts compared to other insurers.
- Pays dividends. As a mutual insurance company, Amica offers a dividend to its policyholders at the end of each term — generally between 5% to 20% of your annual premium.
- Wide coverage and perks. Between standard coverage, perks, and customer service, you can feel confident that you’re properly covered.
- Customer service. Amica took home the award for best customer satisfaction in the New England region from the J.D. Power 2019 Auto Insurance Study — its seventh win in a row.
- Mixed online reviews. You will find a smattering of negative reviews online about its customer service and coverage.
- Limited coverage area. Amica doesn’t offer coverage in Hawaii.
- Not always the cheapest. While its prices are competitive, you can expect to pay slightly higher premiums than with providers like Progressive or Geico, especially if you opt for the Platinum Choice Auto program.
Alternatives to Amica
How to apply for Amica car insurance
Getting a quote for Amica auto insurance is straightforward and can be done online or by phone. However, to actually purchase coverage, you’ll need to actually can and speak with an agent. Here’s how to get started:
- Visit Amica’s home page, then look for the Get a quote section near the top
- Select your state and auto insurance from the drop-downs, then click Go
- Answer the preliminary questions then proceed to the next page
- Enter your personal information and email, then click Start my quote
- Enter your vehicle information, then proceed to the next step
- Enter driver information for anyone you plan to ensure
- Confirm all info, then click Get your quote
- If you’re satisfied with your quote, call 855-862-3026 to purchase coverage
Phone. If you’d rather apply for auto insurance coverage by phone, you can reach an agent at 800-242-6422.
What info do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including ZIP code
- Social Security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle information and registration
- Financial information
- Quote reference number, if you filled out an online quote
Amica reviews and complaints
Amica has overall fairly good customer support scores. It been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 1957 and receives an A+ rating from the agency. However, of the over 50 customer reviews on the site, 75% of them are negative, with customers complaining of poor customer service and that the company evades liability for collisions. JD Power gave Amica a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars
Other comparison sites like ValuePenguin and Policygenius praise Amica for its high customer support rankings, excellent claims process and wide list of coverage and discounts.
Keep in mind that customers often only rate a product or service when they want to rant, and this might not be your experience with the company if you choose this provider. In contrast to the handful of negative reviews, Amica holds a number of customer satisfaction awards from J.D. Power.
How do I contact Amica?
Questions? Concerns? Contacting Amica is very straightforward and there are a number of ways to do so:
- Email: Fill out the contact form on the Contact us page
- Phone: For general customer service call 800-242-6422. Or visit the Contact us page to find the right phone number for your situation.
- In person: Use the Find an office tool on the Contact us page.
- Postal mail: Address information can be found on the Contact us page.
How do I find an Amica agent near me?
Amica has over 40 offices in the US to serve your needs in person, if an office is close to you. To view locations:
- Go to Amica’s contact page and scroll to the bottom.
- Enter your location and tap Search.
- See locations near you on the map or in the list window.
- You can see the address in the window. Or click View location details for the office phone number.
- Call the number or visit the office in person.
Frequently asked questions about Amica car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.