Amica car insurance review 2021
Get discounts, good driver rewards and other perks from this customer favorite.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
Bottom line: Amica stands out for its stellar customer experience, perks and discounts, though sometimes that service comes with a higher cost.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
- Pays dividends
- Discounts for safe driving, bundling and more
- Roadside assistance
- Available in 49 states
- Limited coverage area
- Can be expensive
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Amica might not be a household name everywhere in the US, but its customer service, great perks and dividend policy option make this provider worth considering. If you’re looking for comprehensive auto insurance coverage and are willing to pay for it, Amica might be the right choice for you.
Amica doesn’t have a lot of downsides. You won’t be able to get coverage in Hawaii, and while its customer satisfaction scores top the charts, there is the odd review with complaints. And sometimes that stellar service doesn’t come cheap, with some customers seeing rates slightly higher than the big national companies. That shouldn’t dissuade you from getting a quote, though, if you value great customer support.
How to get a quote for Amica car insurance
You can get a quote for Amica auto insurance either online or by phone. However, you’ll need to speak with an agent to purchase a policy. To get started:
- Visit Amica’s home page, then look for the Get a quote section near the top
- Select your state and auto insurance from the drop-downs, then click Go
- Answer the preliminary questions then proceed to the next page
- Enter your personal information and email, then click Start my quote
- Enter your vehicle information, then proceed to the next step
- Enter driver information for anyone you plan to ensure
- Confirm all info, then click Get your quote
- If you’re satisfied with your quote, call 855-862-3026 to purchase coverage
Phone. To apply for auto insurance by phone, reach an agent at 800-242-6422.
What info do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including ZIP code
- Social Security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle information and registration
- Financial information
- Quote reference number, if you filled out an online quote
What discounts can I get with Amica?
Amica maintains a handful of discounts to lower your premiums. Discounts and eligibility can vary by state.
- Antitheft. Get a discount if your vehicle has an approved antitheft device installed
- Autopay. Sign up for automatic payments for quick savings.
- Claims free. Go without a claim for at least three years to get a discount.
- Defensive driver. Adult drivers who complete an approved driving course can get discounted rates.
- Good student. Rates drop for full-time students under 25 with good grades.
- Homeowner. If you own your home, you can qualify for a discount — even if you don’t insure it through Amica.
- Legacy. Qualify for a discount if you’re under age 30 and your parents have kept Amica auto insurance for at least 5 years.
- Loyalty. If you’ve kept continuous insurance with another company, you’ll save when switching to Amica.
- Multicar. Insure more than one car with Amica to save on your policies.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 30% by combining auto with home, condo, renter, life or umbrella insurance.
- Paid in full. Save when you pay your entire premium at once before the due date.
- Paperless. Sign up for electronic bills and policy documents to save more money.
- Safe vehicle. You may get discounts for adaptive headlights, electronic stability control, airbags, collision warnings or passive restraint seatbelts.
- Student away at school. If your child leaves the car at home when they go to college, you could get a discount.
What car insurance coverage does Amica offer?
- Collision. Provides coverage against damage to your vehicle from at-fault accidents.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for your vehicle on and off the road including collisions, weather damage, theft, vandalism, and more.
- Glass. You can choose who repairs or replaces your windshield, or Amica will help you find one. Plus, you won’t pay a deductible on repairs or replacement.
- Liability. Covers you when you are legally responsible for an accident.
- Medical. Get coverage for you and your passengers for injuries caused by an accident.
- Rental. Rental car reimbursement covers a replacement vehicle if your car is not drivable or in the shop.
- SR-22 insurance. If you’ve had a major driving infraction and need an SR-22, Amica can help.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist. Both property damage and bodily injury coverage is available in case the driver who causes the accident isn’t properly insured.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Amica offer?
Besides the standard comprehensive coverage and great customer service, Amica offers a number of perks and special programs to benefit customers:
- Car dealer network. A program and dealer network to help you get better prices when purchasing a new or used vehicle.
- Disappearing deductible. Earn Advantage Points with Amica Platinum Choice Auto and reduce your deductible or remove it altogether.
- Lifetime repair warranty. Amica has a network of over 1,200 certified repair shops with a lifetime warranty on claims-related repairs. And if your repairs aren’t covered, Amica can refer you to a repair shop.
- Lock and key replacements. No deductible for lock replacement when your keys are lost or stolen.
- Lost earnings. Full reimbursement for lost earnings if you attend court due to a claim at Amica’s request.
- New car replacement cost. Depreciation is not factored in when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of ownership.
- Platinum package. Extend your coverage with optional rewards, identity-theft protection, full glass coverage, rental car coverage up to $5,000 and more.
- Roadside assistance. Coverage for roadside assistance if you break down and need a tow or repair.
Amica car insurance reviews and complaints
Amica holds solid customer support scores with an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau as of October 2020. Only 75 customers have filed complaints with the BBB, citing poor customer service and that the company evades liability for collisions.
Other comparison sites like ValuePenguin and Policygenius praise Amica for its high customer support rankings, excellent claims process and wide list of coverage and discounts.
Keep in mind that customers often rate a product or service when they want to rant. You might not have the same experience if you choose this company. In contrast to the negative reviews, Amica holds a number of customer satisfaction awards from J.D. Power.
Alternatives to Amica
See how Amica’s coverage and customer service fares alongside competitors. Tick the Compare box to see up to four companies’ features side by side.
How to find a local Amica agent near me
To speak to a local Amica agent, search for the closest office location near you through the agent locator:
- Go to Amica’s contact page and scroll to the bottom.
- Enter your location and tap Search.
- See locations near you on the map or in the list window.
- You can see the address in the window. Or click View location details for the office phone number.
- Call the number or visit the office in person.
How does Amica bundling work?
Amica offers many insurance options for bundling discounts up to 30% off your premium. Many companies only bunlde auto with home or renters insurance.
Frequently asked questions about Amica car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.