Amica car insurance review
Get discounts, good driver rewards and other perks from Amica.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want amazing customer service and discounts.
- Pick something else if your Amica quote is too expensive.
- Almost any driver can get coverage through Amica.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Pays dividends
- Discounts for safe driving, bundling and more
- Roadside assistance
- Available in 49 states
- Limited coverage area
- Can be expensive
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Amica might not be a household name everywhere in the US, but its customer service, great perks and dividend policy option make this provider worth considering. If you’re looking for comprehensive auto insurance coverage and are willing to pay for it, Amica might be the right choice for you.
Amica doesn’t have a lot of downsides. You won’t be able to get coverage in Hawaii, and while its customer satisfaction scores top the charts, there is the odd review with complaints. And sometimes that stellar service doesn’t come cheap, with some customers seeing rates slightly higher than the big national companies. That shouldn’t dissuade you from getting a quote, though, if you value great customer support.
Why choose Amica?
Amica scored 5 out of 5 stars in the finder rating scale, making it one of the highest rated car insurance providers. Amica has top scores in customer satisfaction, coverage options, discounts and financial stability.
The perks, great customer service, and competitive discounts make this provider best for those looking for comprehensive coverage at reasonable rates.
What car insurance coverage does Amica offer?
- Collision coverage. Provides coverage against damage to your vehicle from at-fault accidents.
- Comprehensive coverage. Coverage for your vehicle on and off the road including collisions, weather damage, theft, vandalism, and more.
- Medical coverage. Get coverage for you and your passengers for injuries caused by an accident.
- Liability coverage. Covers you when you are legally responsible for an accident.
- Rental coverage. Rental car reimbursement covers a replacement vehicle if your car is not drivable or in the shop.
- Glass coverage. You can choose who repairs or replaces your windshield, or Amica will help you find one.
- SR-22 insurance. If you’ve had a major driving infraction and need an SR-22, Amica can help.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Amica offer?
Besides the standard comprehensive coverage and great customer service, Amica offers a number of perks and special programs to benefit customers:
- Roadside assistance. Coverage for roadside assistance if you break down and need a tow or repair.
- Car Connection. A program and dealer network to help you get better prices when purchasing a new or used vehicle.
- Glass coverage. No deductible for glass repair (if replacement is not necessary).
- No deduction on depreciation. Depreciation is not factored in when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of ownership.
- Convenient lock & key replacements. No deductible for lock replacement when your keys are lost or stolen.
- Lost earnings. Full reimbursement for lost earnings if you attend court due to a claim at Amica’s request.
- Platinum Choice Auto. Extensive auto insurance coverage with optional rewards, identity-theft protection, full glass coverage, rental car coverage up to $5,000 and more.
- Lifetime claim repair warranty. Amica has a network of over 1,200 certified repair shops that provide a lifetime warranty on any claims-related repair work. And if you have auto repairs that aren’t covered, Amica can still refer you to a repair facility.
What discounts can I get with Amica?
Amica maintains competitive pricing on comprehensive auto insurance coverage, but also offers a handful of discounts that can help further reduce your premiums. Here are a few of the many discounts available on Amica auto insurance:
- Multi-policy. Save up to 15% by combining auto with home, condo, renter, life or umbrella coverage.
- Anti-theft. Receive a discount if your vehicle has an approved anti-theft device installed
- Defensive driver. Adult drivers who complete an approved driving course can get discounted rates.
- Loyalty. The more time spent with another insurer, the more you save for switching to Amica.
- Safe vehicle. Discounts for having adaptive headlights, electronic stability control, airbags, collision warnings and more.
- Legacy. Qualify for a discount if you’re under age 30 and your parents have had an auto policy with Amica for at least 5 years
- Autopay. Receive a discount when you sign up for automatic or online payments.
- Paid in full. Save money when you pay your entire premium before the due date on the first bill.
- Good driver. The Amica Advantage program give you points for safe driving, referring new customers and staying loyal, which you can use to pay for your deductible or accident forgiveness benefits.
Pros and cons of Amica car insurance
- Stack up the discounts. Pay lower premiums for safe driving, bundling services, multiple cars, being a good student and more. Amica offers quite a long list of discounts compared to other insurers.
- Pays dividends. As a mutual insurance company, Amica offers a dividend to its policyholders at the end of each term — generally between 5% to 20% of your annual premium. Chose to get a check, direct bank deposit or pay towards your premium.
- Wide coverage and perks. Between standard coverage, perks, and customer service, you can feel confident that you’re properly covered.
- Customer service. Amica prides itself on its high levels of customer satisfaction, due in part to its structure and concern for its customers.
- Mixed online reviews. You will find a smattering of negative reviews online about its customer service and coverage.
- Limited coverage area. Amica doesn’t offer coverage in Hawaii.
- Not always the cheapest. While its prices are still competitive, you can expect to pay slightly higher premiums than with providers like Progressive or Geico, especially if you opt for the Platinum Choice Auto program.
Alternatives to Amica
How to apply for Amica car insurance
Getting a quote for Amica auto insurance is straightforward and can be done online or by phone. However, to actually purchase coverage, you’ll need to actually can and speak with an agent. Here’s how to get started:
- Visit Amica’s home page, then look for the “Get a quote” section near the top.
- Select your state and auto insurance from the drop-downs, then click “Go.”
- Answer the preliminary questions then proceed to the next page
- Enter your personal information and email, then click “Start my quote”
- Enter your vehicle information, then proceed to the next step.
- Enter driver information for anyone you plan to ensure
- Confirm all info, then click “Get your quote”
- If you’re satisfied with your quote, call 855-862-3026 to purchase coverage.
If you’d rather apply for auto insurance coverage by phone, you can reach an agent at 800-242-6422.
What info do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including zip code
- Social security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle information and registration (VIN)
- Financial information
- Quote reference number (if you filled out an online quote)
What do customers say about Amica?
Amica has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1957 and received an A+ rating. However, of the 50+ customer reviews on the site, 75% of them are negative, with customers complaining of poor customer service and that the company evades liability for collisions.
A note about customer reviews: Don’t use customer reviews as your sole decider. Customers often only rate a product or service when they want to rant, and this might not be your experience with the company if you choose this provider.
How do I contact Amica?
Questions? Concerns? Contacting Amica is very straightforward and there are a number of ways to do so:
- Email: Fill out the contact form on the “Contact us” page
- Phone: For general customer service call 800-242-6422. Or visit the “Contact us” page to find the right phone number for your situation.
- In person: Use the “Find an office” tool on the “Contact us” page.
- Postal mail: Address information can be found on the “Contact us” page.
Amica Mutual Insurance Company
PO Box 9128
Providence, RI 02940-9128
100 Amica Way
Lincoln, RI 02865-1167
Frequently asked questions about Amica car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.