Amica car insurance review 2023
- Roadside assistance
- New car protection
- Accident forgiveness
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
★★★★★Bottom line: Amica stands out for its customer experience as well as its variety of coverage and discounts that boost its value. But that service sometimes comes with a higher cost.
Discounts for safe driving, bundling and more
Available in 49 states
Limited coverage area
Can be expensive
|States served||Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Get the cheapest quotes on your auto insurance
Enter your ZIP code to see insurers near you.
Your information is secure.
What we think of Amica car insurance
Amica might not be a household name everywhere in the US, but its customer service, built-in perks like free airbag or key replacement and dividend policy option make this insurer worth considering. If you’re looking for comprehensive auto insurance coverage and are willing to pay for it, Amica might be the right choice for you.
Amica doesn’t have a lot of downsides. You won’t be able to get coverage in Hawaii, and while its customer satisfaction scores top the charts, there are a few complaints abount unresponsive reps. And sometimes that stellar service doesn’t come cheap, with some customers seeing rates slightly higher than the big national companies. That shouldn’t dissuade you from getting a quote, though, if you value great customer support.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
|Category||Our rating||Why we gave this score|
|Coverage||★★★★★ 4/5||Amica goes beyond coverage offered by many companies, including options for accident forgiveness, roadside assistance and more.|
|Discounts||★★★★★ 3.5/5||This company offers one of the highest discounts for bundling policies or insuring multiple cars. However, it doesn’t offer a few common rewards like a discount for tracking your driving through telematics.|
|Customer service||★★★★★ 4/5||It gets high J.D. Power and Better Business Bureau scores, but average ratings from customers on Trustpilot.|
|Financial strength||★★★★★ 4.5/5||Amica receives an A+ financial rating from AM Best, which shows that it has strong finances to pay for car insurance claims.|
Amica car insurance rates
We pulled full-coverage car insurance rates using Amica’s online quote tool for good drivers living in California with a clean driving record.
How we got these rates
We pulled rates for good drivers between 18 and 50 years old with a clean driving record living in California. California is one of seven states that doesn’t use gender to determine car insurance costs. We chose full coverage car insurance with liability limits that exceed the California state minimum requirements, which include:
- Bodily injury liability coverage per person: $50,000/$100,000 per accident minimum
- Property damage liability: $50,000
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury: $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident minimum
- Uninsured motorist property damage: $50,500
- Comprehensive deductible: $500
- Collision deductible: $500
- Medical payments: $5,000
Your rates may be different based on details like your ZIP code, age, job and annual mileage.
How to get a free quote for Amica car insurance
Get a quote for Amica auto insurance by phone at 800-242-6422. Or, get a quote online, but you’ll need to speak with an agent to purchase a policy. To get started:
- Visit Amica’s home page, then look for the Get a quote section near the top
- Select your state and auto insurance from the drop-down, then select Go
- Answer the preliminary questions then proceed to the next page
- Enter your personal info, email and vehicle info then choose Start my quote
- Enter driver info for anyone you plan to insure
- Confirm all info, then hit Get your quote
- If you’re satisfied with your quote, call 855-862-3026 to purchase coverage
What info do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including ZIP code
- Social Security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle information and registration
- Financial information
- Quote reference number, if you filled out an online quote
What discounts can I get with Amica?
Amica maintains a handful of discounts to lower your premiums. Discounts and eligibility can vary by state.
- Antitheft. Get a discount if your vehicle has an approved antitheft device installed.
- Autopay. Sign up for automatic payments for quick savings.
- Claims free. Go without a claim for at least three years to get a discount.
- Defensive driver. Adult drivers who complete an approved driving course can get discounted rates.
- Good student. Rates drop for full-time students under 25 with B average grades or higher.
- Homeowner. If you own your home, you can qualify for a discount — even if you don’t insure it through Amica.
- Legacy. Qualify for a discount if you’re under age 30 and your parents have kept Amica auto insurance for at least five years.
- Loyalty. If you’ve kept continuous insurance with another company, you’ll save when switching to Amica.
- Multicar. Insure more than one car with Amica to save on your policies.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 30% by combining auto with home, condo, renter, life or umbrella insurance.
- Paid in full. Save when you pay your entire premium at once before the due date.
- Paperless. Sign up for electronic bills and policy documents to save more money.
- Safe vehicle. You may get discounts for adaptive headlights, electronic stability control, airbags, collision warnings or passive restraint seatbelts.
- Student away at school. If your child leaves the car at home when they go to college, you could get a discount.
What extra perks does Amica offer?
Besides the standard comprehensive coverage and great customer service, Amica offers a number of built-in perks and special programs to benefit customers:
- Airbag replacement. Get a free airbag replacement if your airbag deploys after an accident.
- Car dealer network. A program and dealer network to help you get better prices when purchasing a new or used vehicle.
- Disappearing deductible. Earn Advantage Points with Amica Platinum Choice Auto and reduce your deductible or remove it altogether.
- Lifetime repair warranty. Amica has a network of over 1,200 certified repair shops with a lifetime warranty on claims-related repairs. And if your repairs aren’t covered, Amica can refer you to a repair shop.
- Lock and key replacements. No deductible for lock replacement when your keys are lost or stolen.
- Lost earnings. Full reimbursement for lost earnings if you attend court due to a claim at Amica’s request.
- New car replacement cost. Depreciation is not factored in when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of ownership.
- Platinum package. Extend your coverage with optional rewards, identity-theft protection, full glass coverage, rental car coverage up to $5,000 and more.
- Roadside assistance. Coverage for roadside assistance if you break down and need a tow or repair.
Amica car insurance reviews and complaints
Amica holds solid customer support scores with an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau as of April 2022. Only 87 customers have filed complaints with the BBB, citing poor customer service and that the company evades liability for collisions.
Other comparison sites like ValuePenguin and Policygenius praise Amica for its high customer support rankings, excellent claims process and wide list of coverage and discounts.
Keep in mind that customers often rate a product or service when they want to rant. You might not have the same experience if you choose this company. In contrast to the negative reviews, Amica holds multiple customer satisfaction awards from J.D. Power.
Our star ratings for Amica, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Amica above average for its stellar customer service and financial ratings across many rating and review sites as well as its long list of coverage.
However, you won’t find savings for using telematics to track your driving, a common discount with other major companies. And Amica isn’t known for having bottom-dollar rates, which led to our experts rating Amica about average for pricing.
|AM Best financial rating||A+|
|Trustpilot score||4.6/5 out of 904 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||April 2022|
Alternatives to Amica
See how Amica’s coverage and customer service fares alongside competitors. When you find a company that you’re interested in, select Get quotes to see your customized policy.
What car insurance coverage does Amica offer?
Amica offers a basic lineup of auto insurance coverage, but it includes perks that you won’t see with other insurance companies.
- Collision. Provides coverage against damage to your vehicle from at-fault accidents.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for your vehicle on and off the road including collisions, weather damage, theft, vandalism, and more.
- Glass. Choose who repairs or replaces your windshield, or Amica will help you find one. Plus, you won’t pay a deductible on repairs or replacement.
- Liability. Covers you when you’re legally responsible for an accident.
- Medical. Get coverage for you and your passengers for injuries caused by an accident.
- Rental. Rental car reimbursement covers a replacement vehicle if your car isn’t drivable or is in the shop.
- SR-22 insurance. If you’ve had a major driving infraction and need an SR-22, Amica can help.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist. Both property damage and bodily injury coverage is available in case the driver who causes the accident isn’t properly insured.
How to find a local Amica agent near me
To speak to a local Amica agent, search for the closest office location near you through the agent locator:
- Go to the bottom of Amica’s contact page.
- Enter your location and select Search.
- See locations near you on the map or in the list window.
- Locate the address in the window. Or choose View location details for the office phone number.
- Call the number or visit the office in person.
How does Amica bundling work?
Amica offers many insurance options for bundling discounts up to 30% off your premium. Many companies only bundle auto with home or renters insurance.
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked