We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
Dividends, discounts, roadside assistance and other perks make Amica car insurance an attractive provider
There’s lots to consider when choosing a car insurance provider. A good place to start is with a plan that fits your budget and meets your state’s requirements. Amica offers a number of discounts and programs backed by amazing customer service. Our Amica auto insurance review covers everything you need to know.
|Name||Amica Car Insurance|
|Description||From offering yearly dividends for policyholders to multi-car discounts and roadside assistance, consider switching to Amica car insurance.|
- Pays dividends
- Discounts for safe driving, bundling and more
- Roadside assistance
- Available in 49 states
- Mixed online reviews
What is Amica?
Headquartered in Lincoln, Rhode Island, Amica is the oldest mutual insurer for automobiles in the US. Mutual insurance companies are solely owned by their policyholders, not investors or stockholders. This means that any profits are retained within the company or passed on to its policyholders. Amica’s structure, fair prices and loyalty to its policyholders make it a great contender auto insurance coverage.
Originally named the Automobile Mutual Insurance Company of America, the company established itself as a leader in auto, fire, and theft insurance. The company has since grown to offer tenants insurance, umbrella policies, retirement plans, and much more.
With 44 offices across the country and only 3,400 employees, it isn’t one of the largest insurance providers — but what it lacks in size it makes up for in customer service. Amica gets kudos from industry experts and received an A+ this year from A.M. Best Company — the nation’s authority on insurance company financial stability.
Who is Amica auto insurance best for?
In terms of price, Amica’s auto insurance policies are usually a bit more expensive than budget providers such as Geico. However, the increase in cost is well worth the cost, as policies come equipped with a number of benefits and industry-leading levels of customer satisfaction.
Amica offers discounts to applicants whose parents are long-time members and even further reductions for people switching from other providers. The perks, great customer service, and competitive discounts make this provider best for those looking for comprehensive coverage at reasonable rates.
What auto insurance coverage does Amica offer?
- Collision coverage. Provides coverage against damage to your vehicle from at-fault accidents.
- Comprehensive coverage. Coverage for your vehicle on and off the road including collisions, weather damage, theft, vandalism, and more.
- Medical coverage. Get coverage for you and your passengers for injuries caused by an accident.
- Liability coverage. Covers you when you are legally responsible for an accident.
- Platinum Choice Auto. A tiered option with identity fraud monitoring, good-driver rewards, total glass replacement and coverage up to $5,000 in rental car costs.
- Rental coverage. You’ll want rental car reimbursement if your car is not drivable or in the shop.
- Glass coverage. You can choose who repairs or replaces your windshield, or Amica will help you find one.
- SR-22 insurance. If you’ve had a major driving infraction and need an SR-22, Amica can help.
Discounts offered by Amica auto insurance
Amica maintains competitive pricing on comprehensive auto insurance coverage, but also offers a handful of discounts that can help further reduce your premiums. Here are a few of the many discounts available on Amica auto insurance:
- Multi-line. Save up to 15% by combining auto with home, condo, renter, life or umbrella coverage.
- Anti-theft. Receive a discount if your vehicle has an approved anti-theft device installed
- Defensive driver. Adult drivers who complete an approved driving course can get discounted rates.
- Loyalty. The more time spent with another insurer, the more you save for switching to Amica.
- Adaptive headlight. Discounts for having headlights that make driving in low-light conditions safer.
- Legacy. Qualify for a discount if you’re under age 30 and your parents have had an auto policy with Amica for at least 5 years
- Autopay. Receive a discount when you sign up for automatic payments.
- Paid in full. Save money when you pay your entire premium before the due date on the first bill.
Does Amica offer any special programs?
Besides the standard comprehensive coverage and great customer service, Amica offers a number of perks and special programs to benefit customers:
- Roadside assistance program. Coverage for roadside assistance if you break down and need a tow or repair.
- Car Connection. A program and dealer network to help you get better prices when purchasing a new or used vehicle.
- Glass coverage. No deductible for glass repair (if replacement is not necessary).
- No deduction on depreciation. Depreciation is not factored in when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of ownership
- Convenient lock & key replacements. No deductible for lock replacement when your keys are lost or stolen
- Repair assistance. If you have auto repairs that aren’t covered, Amica can still refer you to a repair facility.
- Lost earnings. Full reimbursement for lost earnings if you attend court at Amica’s request
- Amica Advisor. A step-by-step guide to help you understand auto insurance.
- Platinum Choice Auto. Extensive auto insurance coverage with optional rewards, identity-theft protection, full glass coverage, rental car coverage, and more.
- Repair assistance program. Amica has a network of over 1,200 certified repair shops that provide a lifetime warranty on any claims-related repair work.
Pros and cons of Amica auto insurance
- Pays dividends. As a mutual insurance company, Amica offers a dividend to its policyholders at the end of each term — generally between 5% to 20% of your annual premium. Chose to get a check, direct bank deposit or pay towards your premium.
- Discounts. Pay lower premiums for safe driving, bundling services, multiple cars, being a good student, and more.
- Roadside assistance. If you find yourself stranded on the side of the road, Amica will dispatch help.
- Coverage. Between standard coverage, perks, and customer service, you can feel confident that you’re properly covered.
- Customer service. Amica prides itself on its high levels of customer satisfaction, due in part to its structure and concern for its customers.
- Mixed online reviews. You will find a smattering of negative reviews online about its customer service and coverage.
- Limited coverage area. Amica doesn’t offer coverage in Hawaii.
- Can be expensive. While its prices are still competitive, you can expect to pay higher premiums than with providers like Progressive or Geico, especially if you opt for the Platinum Choice Auto program.
Amica auto insurance customer reviews
Amica has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1957 and received an A+ rating. However, of the 50+ customer reviews on the site, 75% of them are negative, with customers complaining of poor customer service and that the company evades liability for collisions.
A note about customer reviews: Don’t use customer reviews as your sole decider. Customers often only rate a product or service when they want to rant, and this might not be your experience with the company if you choose this provider.
How do I apply for Amica auto insurance?
Getting a quote for Amica auto insurance is straightforward and can be done online or by phone. However, to actually purchase coverage, you’ll need to actually can and speak with an agent. Here’s how to get started:
- Visit Amica’s home page, then look for the “Get a quote” section near the top.
- Select your state and auto insurance from the drop-downs, then click “Go.”
- Answer the preliminary questions then proceed to the next page
- Enter your personal information and email, then click “Start my quote”
- Enter your vehicle information, then proceed to the next step.
- Enter driver information for anyone you plan to ensure
- Confirm all info, then click “Get your quote”
- If you’re satisfied with your quote, call 855-862-3026 to purchase coverage.
If you’d rather apply for auto insurance coverage by phone, you can reach an agent at 800-242-6422.
What do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including zip code
- Social security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle information and registration (VIN)
- Financial information
- Quote reference number (if you filled out an online quote)
How to file a claim with Amica auto insurance
Accidents are no fun and dealing with a lengthy claims process afterward only adds insult to injury. Fortunately, Amica makes it easy to file an auto insurance claim. Here’s what you need to know:
- Visit Amica’s home page, click on “Claims center” then “Report a claim”
- Enter your personal info, policy number, and other details, then click “Continue”.
- Enter vehicle information, incident details, and click “Continue”.
- Review all of the information you provided, and click “Submit” once you’re ready.
If you’re having trouble filing a claim, you have a few options:
Contact Amica by phone: 800-242-6422
Contact Amica by email: Visit the “Contact us” page and fill out the contact form
Claims advisor: Visit the online claims advisor for help and information on the claims process
How do I contact Amica auto insurance?
Questions? Concerns? Contacting Amica is very straightforward and there are a number of ways to do so:
Email: Fill out the contact form on the “Contact us” page
Phone: Visit the “Contact us” page to find the right phone number for your situation
Postal mail: Address information can be found on the “Contact us” page.
In person: Use the “Find an office” tool on the “Contact us” page.
Does Amica offer other types of insurance?
Amica offers a whole suite of insurance policies to meet your insurance needs, including life, home, motorcycle and more.
- Home insurance. Get coverage for your home with homeowners, renters and condo insurance.
- Life insurance. Amica offers both term life (a specific period of time) and whole life (your entire life) insurance. Use its online calculator to determine just how much life insurance you need.
- Retirement products. Choose from a variety of retirement products, including traditional IRA, Roth IRA and annuities.
- Marine insurance. Coverage for all things water including boats and yachts and even towing if your boat breaks down.
- Motorcycle insurance. Get protection for you and your motorcycle.
- Umbrella insurance. Umbrella insurance gives you extra protection beyond what your policy already covers.
- Small business insurance. Amica partners with Hiscox Insurance to offer small business insurance, including general liability, professional liability and business owner insurance.
- Wedding and event insurance. This type of insurance will cover you for all types of situations that might arise on your big day, like no-show vendors and extreme weather cancellations.
Companies similar to Amica Insurance
Amica might not be a household name, but its customer service, great perks and the option for dividend policies make this provider worth considering. If you’re looking for comprehensive auto insurance coverage and are willing to pay for it, Amica might be the right choice for you. As with any major financial decision, compare auto insurance policies with other insurance providers to determine the best option for you.
Amica auto insurance frequently asked questions