Get solid rewards for everyday spending with the no-annual-fee Amex EveryDay® Credit Card.
finder.com’s rating: 4.4 / 5.0
- Get this card if you want accelerated rewards for grocery spending and don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- Pick something else if you want more rewards in other everyday-spending categories or want cash back.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||Amex EveryDay® Credit Card|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Standard Purchase APR||15.24% to 26.24% variable|
|Intro Purchase APR||0% for the first 15 months (then 15.24% to 26.24% variable)|
|Standard Balance Transfer APR||15.24% to 26.24% variable|
|Intro Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first 15 months (then 15.24% to 26.24% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Rate||27.49% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||2.7% of the transaction value|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $38|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $38|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Rates & Fees||Rates & Fees|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new card to make $1,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.|
|Rewards||Earn 2x points at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year (then 1x). 1x points for all other purchases.|
|Base Rewards||1x points|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card is a solid choice if you spend a lot on groceries and don’t want the hassle of an annual fee. It offers accelerated points for purchases at US supermarkets, and unlimited rewards on all other purchases.
You’ll also benefit from a hearty welcome offer when you meet the purchase qualifications. If you spend money on travel, you can transfer your points for eligible frequent traveler programs and get select travel protections.
Alternative card: Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Welcome offer: 15,000 Membership Rewards points.
When you make $1,000 in purchases within 3 months of your account opening, you’ll earn 15,000 Membership Rewards points.
Intro APR: 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months following your account opening.
This is a strong intro APR, especially for a rewards card. After it expires, your purchase and balance transfer APR is 15.24% to 26.24% variable.
To qualify for the balance transfer intro APR, you must make any transfer requests within the first 60 days of card membership.
$0 fee on balance transfers made within the first 60 days.
American Express accepts balance transfers only within the first 60 days. Eligible transfers come with no transaction fee. This is an excellent perk, especially combined with the card’s intro APR.
Points: 2x points at US supermarkets.
You’ll earn 2x points at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1x points after that. For a card with no annual fee, this is a solid rewards rate for grocery spending. On other eligible purchases, you’ll earn 1x points.
What can you redeem Membership Rewards points for?
You can redeem Membership Rewards points for a variety of rewards, including:
- Gift cards.
- Statement credit.
- Merchandise in categories like home and office, fashion and beauty and technology.
- Events and experiences.
- Donations to charity.
- Paying at checkout with points at partnered retailers such as Best Buy, Amazon and Expedia.
Membership Rewards points may be worth more or less than the industry standard of 1 point for every 1 cent, depending on what you’re redeeming for. Before trading your points, check the redemption rate.
You’ll also like …
More points the more you use your card.
If you make 20 or more purchases with your card in a billing period, you’ll receive 20% more points on those purchases.
Transfer your Membership Rewards points to eligible frequent traveler programs, such as British Airways Avios, Emirates Skywards, JetBlue TrueBlue, Choice Privileges Rewards, Hilton Honors and Starwood Preferred Guest.
Use Membership Rewards points for some charges.
For some types of spending — such as retail, dining and entertainment — you can pay for card charges with Membership Rewards points.
You’ll have access to the American Express Global Assist Hotline and Roadside Assistance Hotline if you find yourself in a pinch on vacation. Complimentary car rental and travel accident insurance are also included.
Get free two-day shipping from various stores through ShopRunner.
Get extended warranties on eligible items you buy with your card. You may even qualify for a refund from American Express if a merchant won’t accept a product as a return within 90 days of your purchase. Eligible items are covered against theft and accidental damage with purchase protection.
Survey data on Amex EveryDay® Credit Card
What credit score did you have when you were approved for this credit card?
Based on a survey of 27 people on finder.com
What interests you most about this credit card?
Based on a survey of 94 people on finder.com
|Features and benefits||34.04%|
What to watch out for
Balance transfer time limit.
To take advantage of the intro APR for balance transfers, you need to make any transfers within the first 60 days of your account opening.
Not as widely accepted overseas.
Because the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card is by American Express, you might not have as many opportunities to use it overseas as you would a Visa or Mastercard.
Foreign transaction fees.
You’ll pay 2.7% for any transactions abroad, and potentially if you use it on a foreign website.
It hurts to pay late.
Making late or returned payments could saddle you with fees as high as $38. American Express may also assess a penalty APR of up to 29.99% variable if you make a late or returned payment.
Compare rewards credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A US citizen or permanent resident.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. A better credit score gets you a better APR and credit limit. If you have at least a good credit score and a relatively high annual income, you may be the type of customer American Express is looking for.
Here are a few other factors that might affect your odds of approval:
- Hard pulls on your credit report. If you have several hard inquiries — or hard pulls — on your account, it looks like you’re desperate for credit. This implies you’re having trouble managing your debt, and American Express is less likely to take you on as a customer.
- Factors that tie into your credit score. American Express factors credit utilization into its approval process — meaning that customers with low balances relative to their credit limits are preferred. Having many new card accounts may be a red flag too, indicating that you’re desperate for credit. It may also give the impression that you’re a flighty customer who’s just hunting for welcome offers.
What do customers say about the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card?
Customers generally say the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card is a well-rounded product and highlight the card’s points, $0 annual fee and long intro APR. However, many cardholders say they were approved for much lower credit limits than they expected.
American Express earns a3.1 out of 10 Trustpilot score at the time of this writing. Many negative reviews cite poor customer service and inflexible company policies. However, positive reviews state they spoke with pleasant customer service representatives. Overall, your mileage may vary with American Express customer support.
American Express earns an overall A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
How to apply for the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card
- On the American Express website, click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form. Provide information like your Social Security number, home address, income source and total annual income.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to get my Amex EveryDay® Credit Card?
Because American Express automates conditional approval online, you may get a decision on your application within minutes. If there are issues with your application, it may take a few business days to a few weeks to hear back.
After you’re approved, you’ll typically receive your card within seven to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Register an account at the American Express site to pay your balance online and enroll in autopay to set up automatic monthly payments.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a 25-day grace period to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees. Cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Contact customer service. Help documents aren’t easily accessible on the American Express site, but you can call 800-528-4800 for customer service. According to market research company J.D. Power, cardholders give American Express high marks for customer interaction.
The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card is a solid card, offering rewards, a strong intro APR and a welcome bonus. It’s an especially good choice if you regularly spend on groceries. If you have a busy family and spend a lot on gas and groceries, consider cards that offer accelerated rewards for both.
Frequently asked questions
Rewards card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.