Ameritas disability insurance review 2020
Customize your long-term disability plan and lower your premiums with discounts.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Consider Ameritas if… You prefer personalized service, and want a choice of long-term disability plans.
- Look elsewhere if… You want to apply online, or need short-term disability insurance.
Short term disability
Long term disability
|Benefit period||2, 5 and 10 years to age 65, 67 and 70|
|Waiting period||30, 60, 90, 180, 365 or 730 days|
|Available states||Available in all 50 states|
No info available
- Disability discounts on offer
- Attentive customer service
- Online claims submission
- No online quotes
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
If you’re looking for long-term disability insurance, Ameritas is a strong choice. It has a proven financial track record, and offers two tiers of policies to suit different needs and budgets. The company is also known for its attentive customer service, but you can’t apply for a policy online
To find out how Ameritas stacks up to its competitors, compare disability insurance companies.
Ameritas’ disability insurance policies
The carrier has two disability insurance products on offer:
- Dinamic Fundamental. To qualify for coverage, you must work at least 30 hours a week and can’t have a pre-existing medical condition. It’s a simple policy with a quick underwriting process.
- Dinamic Foundation. This policy is designed to protect higher income earners. It’s more customizable, with a wider range of policy features and riders to choose from.
Built-in benefits and policy riders available
- Nondisabling injury. If you suffer an injury that doesn’t disable you but requires medical or dental treatment, you’ll be reimbursed for the cost of treatment up to half of your base benefit.
- Good health. Waive two days of your elimination period for each consecutive year you don’t receive monthly disability benefits.
- COBRA premium. If you lose your job as a result of a disability, this benefit will pay up to $1,000 per month in COBRA premiums so you can keep your health insurance.
- Presumptive total disability. Ameritas will waive your elimination period if you lose sight in both eyes, hearing in both ears, your speech, or the use of any two limbs.
- Surgical transplant. If you’ve had your policy for at least six months and become totally disabled after donating an organ, your elimination period will be waived.
- Cosmetic surgery. If you’ve had coverage for at least six months and become totally disabled as a result of cosmetic surgery, your disability benefits will be payable after you complete your elimination period.
- Survivor benefit. If you die during a claim, the insurer will pay your beneficiaries for three additional months.
- Enhanced or basic residential disability. Pays a partial benefit if you’re able to return to work on a limited or part-time basis after a disability.
- Cost of living adjustment (COLA). To offset the effects of inflation, after one full year of disability this rider boosts your monthly benefit. Ameritas offers a 6% compound or 3% simple adjustment.
- Social insurance substitute. Helps to bridge the gap in income if you don’t qualify for Social Security disability or Workers Compensation, or while you’re waiting for those benefits to kick in.
- Future increase option. Allows you to increase your coverage to match your new income without going through the underwriting process again.
- Catastrophic disability. If you can’t perform two of the six activities of daily living (ADLs), the insurer pays an additional monthly benefit.
- Automatic increase rider. Increases your monthly benefit by 4% each year for five years.
- Student loan repayment rider. Adds extra coverage so you can continue to pay off your student loans while you’re disabled.
Can I get a discount on my disability insurance premium?
Yes — Ameritas is one of a handful of insurers who offer discounts on disability plans.
You might earn a discount if you:
- Haven’t touched tobacco in the last year.
- Pay a double annual premium when your policy is issued.
- Are a member of an association that endorses Ameritas as a preferred insurance provider.
Pros and cons of Ameritas disability insurance
- Disability discounts on offer. There aren’t many insurers who offer discounts for paying a double annual premium, or being tobacco free. With Ameritas, you may be eligible for a few disability insurance discounts.
- Attentive customer service. Customers from its group policies and individual policies both tote this insurer’s attentiveness, transparency and quick response to questions.
- Online claims submission. Ameritas offers an online claims system that allows your claim to be processed the day you submit it, and the ability to send you a check within seven business days. Some competitors only offer a paper claims process.
- No online quotes. If you want to see what your rates and plan details might look like, you’ll have to speak to an insurance agent. Many competitors offer the ease of online quotes.
Ameritas disability insurance reviews and complaints
One of the oldest insurers in the US, Ameritas has been in business for more than 130 years. It’s accredited with the Better Business Bureau, and holds an A+ rating for its customer service and interaction, as of October 2020.
There are only three 6 customer complaints on the site, which is low given the size of the company. That being said, the complaints centered on the frustrating claims process.
Ameritas’ financial strength
You can’t predict a disability, so an insurer’s financial strength is important because it points to their ability to pay out claims at any time in the foreseeable future.
Ameritas is a financially strong company. It scores top ratings with AM Best and Standard & Poor’s, and currently manages $32.6 billion in assets.
|AM Best||A+ (Superior)|
|Standard & Poor’s||A+ (Strong)|
Compare alternatives to Ameritas
How do I sign up for Ameritas’ disability insurance?
Contact an agent:
- Go to Ameritas’ website. On the top nav bar, click Find a Financial Professional.
- Fill in your personal and contact details, and check the box that says Financial strategies & products for my family. In the comment box, type “disability insurance” so your message gets to the right agent.
- Click Submit. You can expect an agent to contact you in one to two business days.
More about Ameritas
Ameritas was founded in 1887 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Over the next century, it grew from a small Midwest insurer to one of the largest insurance companies in the US.
Disability insurance aside, Ameritas sells life, health, accident, dental, vision and hearing insurance, and investment products like annuities, mutual funds and retirement plans.
Frequently asked questions
Disability insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze disability insurance companies to help you find the best income protection policy for you.
We assess each company’s financial strength and customer satisfaction, as well as policy features, benefit and elimination periods and available riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects available options and industry reputation.