Connect (formerly Ameriprise) home insurance review 2021
Relish exclusive Costco member benefits, plus free coverage for any customer.
- Get a quote if you’re a Costco member or are curious about cost.
- Pick something else if you need highly rated customer service.
- Any homeowners can apply, but Costco members may get the best rate.
AL, AZ, AR, CO, DE, DC, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TX, UT, VT, VA, WV, WI
- Free coverage
- Costco member discount and benefits
- Flexible payment plans
- Poor customer reviews
- No online claims
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Home renovations, Loyalty|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Connect’s main draw is its partnership with Costco, giving members an exclusive discount and other small benefits. Also, any policy comes with protection for identity theft, credit card fraud and lock replacement free of charge.
However, you can’t file a claim online and customer reviews show the company could smooth out its service experience. If you’re curious about the value of the free benefits compared to cost, you might want a quote. Otherwise, consider other home insurance options for the best blend of coverage and service.
What home insurance coverage does Connect offer?
Connect lays a variety of coverage options on the table. A standard policy comes with:
- Personal liability
- Other structures including fences, barns, sheds and swimming pools
- Personal belongings
- Medical payments to pay for guests’ medical expenses right away
- Loss of use including food, lodging, storage and pet care
- Personal injury liability, such as protection for slander, invasion of privacy, wrongful entry or false arrest
You can also opt for extra coverage for:
- Valuable belongings, including adventure or outdoor equipment
- Home media equipment up to $10,000
- Water backup and sump overflow
- Mine shifts for homes built over a coal mine
- Rental properties
What extra benefits and add-ons can I get?
This insurer bulks up your policy with this protection at no extra charge:
- Identity theft protection. Restore your name with up to $5,000 of additional coverage.
- Credit card or check fraud. Get reimbursed for unauthorized use of your credit card or checks without paying a deductible.
- Food spoilage. Restock your fridge if your food spoils after a storm or power outage up to $500. No deductible applies.
- Lock replacement. Reclaim your security after a break-in with up to $100 to replace locks.
Free benefits for Costco members
Over 400,000 members have bought an Connect auto or home policy and save an average $600 by doing so, according to Costco’s website. Members get access to a few benefits:
- Costco member discount
- Glass repair reimbursement if a window gets broken
- 24/7 home lockout assistance for Executive members
Connect home insurance discounts
This insurer has many discounts you might qualify for depending on your state, including:
- Newer home
- Claim-free for five years
- Protective devices like deadbolt locks, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, sprinklers, theft alarms or a monitored fire or security system
- Discounts for renovating your roof, HVAC, plumbing or electrical wiring within the last nine years or seven years for plumbing
Pros and cons of Connect home insurance
- Free coverage. Connect includes protection for identity theft, credit card fraud and lock replacement at no extra charge.
- Costco member discount and benefits. Costco members get exclusive savings on their premium, plus extra coverage.
- Flexible payment plans. Pay for your annual policy in full or in a variety of schedule options up to 11 installments.
- Poor customer reviews. The company receives many poor reviews ane few positive reviews from customers reported on reputable sites like the Better Business Bureau.
- No online claims. You can only reach the claims department by phone.
Connect home insurance reviews and complaints
American Family Connect Property & Casualty, the new company that took over Ameriprise, gets an A+ business rating from the Better Business Bureau, as of October 2020.
However, Connect sees overall low ratings from customers. Over 37 unsatisfied customers who’ve filed BBB complaints report increasing premiums, a rough claims process and slow customer service responses. The company was also rated at 0.49 on the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. The national average complaint rating is 1.00.
How is Connect home insurance related to Ameriprise?
American Family bought Ameriprise in 2019 and is rebranding the company as Connect, powered by American Family. American Family Connect Property & Casualty now writes home policies for Connect. However, the new ownership intends to keep the current policies and offerings intact.
How to apply for Connect home insurance
Get protection for your home from Connect or a partner insurer, or call customer service at 888-239-9953 with home insurance questions. Follow these steps for applying online:
- In the quote box, choose Home as your policy type and enter your ZIP code. Click Get Quote.
- You may get directed to an American Family website. If you’d like a quote, click Continue or talk with a representative.
- Enter your personal information and home details. Click Continue.
- Answer questions about your home’s features for possible discounts. Click Continue.
- Adjust your coverage, limits and deductibles. Continue to checkout.
- Select your start date, enter payment information and finalize your details.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Connect?
Whisk through your application with basic details about you and your home, including:
- Phone number.
- Basic home details, like square footage, year built or type of home.
- Home safety features.
- Coverage needs.
- Payment information.