Ameriprise home insurance review
Helpful coverage, plus an exclusive Costco member discount.
- Get a quote if
- Pick something else if you need highly rated customer service.
- Any homeowners can apply, but Costco members may get the best rate.
AL, AZ, AR, CO, DE, DC, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TX, UT, VT, VA, WV, WI
- Extra perks included
- Costco member discount
- Coverage for valuables
- Earthquake insurance
- Mixed customer reviews
- Discounts not available in every state
- No online claims
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||No|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Ameriprise’s main draw is its partnership with Costco, giving members an exclusive discount and other small benefits. Also, you’ll have protection for identity theft, credit card fraud and lock replacement free of charge.
However, you can’t file a claim online and mixed reviews show the company could smooth out customer service complaints.
What home insurance coverage does Ameriprise offer?
Ameriprise lays a variety of coverage options on the table, including:
- Adventure and outdoor equipment
- Earthquake insurance
- Home media equipment up to $10,000
- Loss of use including food, lodging, storage and pet care
- Medical payments
- Mine shifts for homes built over a coal mine
- Other structures including fences, barns, sheds and swimming pools
- Personal liability
- Personal injury plus extra protection for slander, invasion of privacy, defamation of character, wrongful entry or false arrest
- Personal property
- Rental properties
- Scheduled personal property
- Water backup and sump overflow
Ameriprise also bulks up your policy with extra protection at no extra charge. Coverage you’ll receive:
- Identity theft protection. Restore your name with up to $5,000 of additional coverage.
- Credit card or check fraud. Get reimbursed for unauthorized use of your credit card or checks without paying a deductible.
- Food spoilage. Restock your fridge if your food spoils after a storm or power outage up to $500. No deductible applies.
- Lock replacement. Reclaim your security after a break-in with up to $100 to replace locks.
What home insurance discounts can I get with Ameriprise?
This insurer has helpful discounts you might qualify for, as long as they’re available in your state. Discounts include:
- Newer home.
- Claim-free for five years.
- Protective devices like deadbolt locks, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, sprinklers, theft alarms or a monitored fire or security system.
- Renovations for replacing your roof, heating and cooling or electrical wiring within the last nine years or seven years for plumbing.
What home insurance benefits do I get with my Costco membership?
Over 400,000 members have bought an Ameriprise auto or home policy, according to Costco’s website. Members get access to a few benefits:
- Costco member discount
- Glass breakage for Executive Members
- Lockout assistance
Pros and cons of Ameriprise home insurance
- Extra coverage included. Ameriprise includes protection for identity theft, credit card fraud and lock replacement at no extra charge.
- Costco member discount. Costco members get exclusive savings on their premium, plus a few extra benefits.
- Wide coverage options. Few home insurers offer free perks like food spoilage or lock replacement, plus you can purchase rare add-ons like earthquake, hobby gear and media equipment coverage.
- Discounts not available in every state. Some of the above discounts may not be available in your area or may come with conditions.
- Mixed customer reviews. The company has poor reviews reported with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and mixed customer satisfaction on review sites like Clearsurance.
- No online claims. You can only reach the claims department by phone or email.
How to apply for Ameriprise home insurance
Get protection for your home from Ameriprise or a partner insurer in a few simple steps:
- In the quote box, choose Home as your policy type and enter your ZIP code. Click Get Quote.
- You may get directed to an American Family website. If you’d like a quote, click Continue or talk with a representative.
- Enter your personal information and home details. Click Continue.
- Answer questions about your home’s features for possible discounts. Click Continue.
- Adjust your coverage, limits and deductibles. Continue to checkout.
- Select your start date, enter payment information and finalize your details.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Ameriprise?
Whisk through your application with basic details about you and your home, including:
- Phone number.
- Basic home details, like square footage, year built or type of home.
- Home safety features.
- Coverage needs.
- Payment information.