American United Life Insurance review 2021
Policies come with the help of a financial professional, but setting up a plan takes time.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if… You’re looking for a full-service provider and financial professional to work alongside.
- Choose a different provider if… You’re looking to get a life insurance policy immediately.
18 to 74
$10,000 to $250,000+
Depends on policy
Medical Exam Required
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20 or 30 years|
|Medical exam required||Depends on policy|
|Available states||Not listed|
|Issue age||Not listed|
- Tailored services
- Certain riders included
- Conversion available
- Conversion available
- No immediate online coverage
- Financial professionals not available in every state
Accelerated death benefit rider
Rhys Subitch is the loans editor at Finder, guiding Americans toward smart borrowing decisions. With over half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info in the lending sphere. They make frequent appearances on Finder's YouTube channel to talk through loan topics that range from the very basics to the latest government assistance programs. Before specializing in lending, Rhys was a personal finance writer for Finder’s credit cards, insurance, banking and mortgage verticals. They hold a BA in sociology and a certificate in editing from the University of Washington, Seattle.
Life insurance policies offered by AUL come with the support of a financial professional, which can be handy if you’re looking to fully plan out your portfolio and want guidance adjusting it down the road.
But you’ll need to pick up the phone to apply for a policy, and financial professionals aren’t available in every state.
American United Life life insurance rates
Unfortunately, AUL doesn’t provide any pricing information upfront. To get a quote, you won’t be able to just fill out a form online. Instead, you’ll have to contact an agent by phone or set up a meeting in person.
What affects my rate with American United Life?
While AUL doesn’t layout its underwriting criteria or eligibility guidelines, there are some universal ways to get lower premiums.
- Manage any health conditions you have. Seeking treatment and doing your best to care for yourself may make you less risky in the eyes of an insurer than someone who isn’t.
- Cut out the vices. Tobacco and regular alcohol use can negatively impact your rates. To get the best possible, try to cut down on both.
- Talk with a financial professional. You may be able to get clued in on how to get better rates if you speak with one of the agents through AUL. Since they know the underwriting process, they can give you an idea of what AUL is looking for.
How to get a quote from American United Life life insurance
To get a quote you’ll have to call 877-999-9883 or email email@example.com. You can also visit a location.
Find your nearest financial professional through AUL using the following steps:
- Go to the OneAmerica website.
- Select Products and services.
- Click Life insurance.
- Select Financial professional.
- Use the map to find your nearest financial professional.
- Set up a call and talk with your agent to sign up for a policy.
What types of life insurance coverage does American United Life offer?
American United Life Insurance Company (AUL) is part of OneAmerica Financial Partners and offers two types of life insurance products.
- Whole life insurance. The guarantee of stable premium costs, lifetime coverage and a cash value you can borrow against are a few of the features whole life insurance from American United. You may also earn dividends, but they’re not guaranteed.
- Term life insurance. You can choose from a term of 10, 15, 20 or 30 years. Benefits aren’t taxable, which means your loved ones get the full payout. But the policy can end before it’s paid out, and it doesn’t have any cash value.
What riders can I add to my policy?
These add-ons can help you customize your life insurance policy to fit your needs:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. Offered on its whole life policy, if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness and given less than 12 months to live, or develop a chronic illness that makes daily personal care impossible, you can withdraw some of your benefit in the form of a lien against your policy.
- Loan interest rate limitation rider. Taking out a loan against a whole life policy can cause coverage to lapse with missed payments, which is where this rider comes in. If the loan reaches 95% of the policy’s value, the rider activates and the policy is guaranteed to pay out the death benefit.
American United Life life insurance reviews and complaints
AUL is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating from the company as of October 2020. Over the past three years, its received six complaints. Five of the complaints have been answered, and one has been resolved.
There are no reviews for AUL on the BBB site.
|AM Best financial rating||
|Customer reviews verified as of||18 January 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like American United Life
If you’re looking for more options to compare, take a look at these other providers.
Frequently asked questions about American United Life life insurance
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.