American United Life Insurance review 2020
Policies come with the help of a financial professional, but setting up a plan takes time.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if… You’re looking for a full-service provider and financial professional to work alongside.
- Choose a different provider if… You’re looking to get a life insurance policy immediately.
18 to 74
$10,000 to $250,000+
Depends on policy
Medical Exam Required
|Free quote||Online, Phone|
|Monthly cost||Not listed|
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20 or 30 years|
|Riders||Accelerated death benefit rider|
|Medical exam required||Depends on policy|
|Available states||Not listed|
|Issue age||Not listed|
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at Finder who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
Life insurance policies offered by AUL come with the support of a financial professional, which can be handy if you’re looking to fully plan out your portfolio and want guidance adjusting it down the road. But you’ll need to pick up the phone to apply for a policy, and financial professionals aren’t available in every state.
What types of life insurance coverage does American United Life Insurance Company offer?
American United Life Insurance Company (AUL) is part of OneAmerica Financial Partners, Inc. and offers two types of life insurance products.
- Whole life insurance
The guarantee of stable premium costs, lifetime coverage and a cash value you can borrow against are a few of the features whole life insurance from American United. You may also earn dividends, but they’re not guaranteed.
- Term life insurance
You can choose from a term of 10, 15, 20 or 30 years. Benefits aren’t taxable, which means your loved ones get the full payout. But the policy can end before it’s paid out, and it doesn’t have any cash value.
What riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
These add-ons can help you customize your life insurance policy to fit your needs:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. Offered on its whole life policy, if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness and given less than 12 months to live, or develop a chronic illness that makes daily personal care impossible, you can withdraw some of your benefit in the form of a lien against your policy.
- Loan interest rate limitation rider. Taking out a loan against a whole life policy can cause coverage to lapse with missed payments, which is where this rider comes in. If the loan reaches 95% of the policy’s value, the rider activates and the policy is guaranteed to pay out the death benefit.
How much does American United Life Insurance Company cost?
Unfortunately, AUL doesn’t provide any pricing information upfront. To get a quote, you won’t be able to just fill out a form online. Instead, you’ll have to contact an agent by phone or set up a meeting in person.
How do I get a low rate?
While AUL doesn’t layout its underwriting criteria or eligibility guidelines, there are some universal ways to get lower premiums.
- Manage any health conditions you have. Seeking treatment and doing your best to care for yourself may make you less risky in the eyes of an insurer than someone who isn’t.
- Cut out the vices. Tobacco and regular alcohol use can negatively impact your rates. To get the best possible, try to cut down on both.
- Talk with a financial professional. You may be able to get clued in on how to get better rates if you speak with one of the agents through AUL. Since they know the underwriting process, they can give you an idea of what AUL is looking for.
Pros and cons of American United Life Insurance
- Tailored services. You’ll get paired with an advisor to help you pick your life insurance and manage your financial health.
- Certain riders included. Other companies might have you purchase a terminal illness rider, but AUL includes it with whole life policies.
- Conversion available. When your term life insurance runs out, you’ll have the option to convert to whole life.
- No instant quotes. You’ll have to call or visit a physical location to get a quote.
- No immediate online coverage. Even expedited quotes require talking with a financial professional, which means immediate coverage isn’t an option.
- Financial professionals not available in every state. You won’t be able to work with a financial professional in person in every state.
Compare other life insurance companies
If you’re looking for more options to compare, take a look at these other providers.
American United Life Insurance Company reviews and complaints
AUL is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating from the company as of July 2019. Over the past three years, its received six complaints. Five of the complaints have been answered, and one has been resolved.
The only review for AUL on the BBB site gives the company 5 out of 5 stars, and praises the customer service provided.
How does American United Life Insurance Company protect my data?
AUL is an affiliate company of OneAmerica Financial Partners, Inc. Its privacy standards extend to AUL, and follow federal regulations as well as industry standards.
Online encryption, firewall technology and user authentication are used to protect Internet-accessible customer information. Employees are also trained on confidentiality, and may only access customer information for business purposes.
How do I sign up?
To get a quote you’ll have to call 877-999-9883 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit a location.
Find your nearest financial professional through AUL using the following steps:
- Go to the OneAmerica website.
- Select Products and services.
- Click Life insurance.
- Select Financial professional.
- Use the map to find your nearest financial professional.
I’ve signed up. What happens next?
Because AUL has a full-service approach, it’ll take longer to get your quote than it might with a company that’s less hands-on. Expect to talk through your wants and needs with a financial professional as well as your financial health during your appointment.
More about American United Life Insurance Company
American United Life Insurance Company is an affiliate of OneAmerica Financial Partners, Inc. It was founded in 1877 as an insurance group called Knights of Pythias, and has since undergone several restructures and name changes.
AUL is rated A+ by AM Best and AA- by Standard & Poor’s. Both ratings indicate AUL is likely to remain financially stable and able to pay out claims.
Annuities, long-term care solutions and workplace retirement and benefits are also available to individuals on the OneAmerica site. Business and employer options offered include life insurance, disability insurance, retirement services and group ancillary products.
American United isn’t as modern as some of its competitors, so if you want to apply for a policy online, compare other life insurance providers.
Frequently asked questions
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.