American Modern home insurance review
Does this coverage raise the standard of protection or only offer the expected?
- Get a quote if you own a high-risk home.
- Pick something else if you need wide dwelling protection.
- May cover high-risk homes denied by other companies.
AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY
- Accepts high-risk homes
- Local agents available
- Video and online claims
- Limited dwelling and theft coverage
- Total replacement coverage costs extra
- No instant online quotes
- Not available in Florida or New York
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||No|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
American Modern’s main draw is that it might accept homeowners or homes involving a high-risk situation, such as older homes or those with previous claims. Its mobile home policies also offer wide protection that could pique your interest too.
While American Modern covers all the basics and offers helpful add-ons if you need them, other home insurance companies include benefits in their standard policies. Those benefits may lower your premium compared to a policy with American Modern, so weigh your options to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
What home insurance coverage does American Modern offer?
American Modern keeps a healthy list of coverage with important details to note like named peril coverage for your home. It protects you for:
- Actual cash value settlement. Claims are paid out at an amount that accounts for depreciation.
- Additional living expenses. Take some of the burden off of having to relocate while your house is being repaired after a covered loss.
- Breakdowns. Coverage for HVAC and major appliances in case of mechanical or electrical problems.
- Liability. Protects against injuries or damage at your home or while you’re away.
- Limited burglary. Replaces your stolen belongings and permanent fixtures if there’s physical evidence that someone broke into your home.
- Named peril dwelling coverage. Includes basic protection for fire, wind, hail, explosions or lightning strikes.
- Other structures. Protect structures like your garage, shed or fencing.
- Personal belongings. Covers your home’s contents at actual cash value.
- Reasonable temporary repairs. Get covered for the cost of temporary repairs made to prevent extra damage.
- Vandalism. Protects your home if someone damages your property on purpose.
What add-ons can I choose with an American Modern home policy?
The company offers several options to boost your home’s coverage, including:
- Enhanced dwelling. An add-on that extends the named perils for your home to include: collapse, freezing, lockouts, power surges, falling objects or water leaks from plumbing or air conditioning.
- Full repair cost for your home. Make sure you can cover the whole cost of repairing or replacing your home by getting this protection, which doesn’t factor in depreciation.
- Water backup. Includes water damage from drain or sewer overflows.
What home insurance discounts can I get?
American Modern doesn’t mention any discounts on its website or online application. The company likely discounts your rate if you haven’t made claims in the past three years and if your home includes safe features and construction.
Pros and cons of American Modern
- Accepts high-risk homes. The company may accept your or your home’s high-risk history and still provide full coverage.
- Local agents available. Work with an agent who knows your home’s area best.
- Video and online claims. Fill out a claims form online. In some cases, you can connect with your adjuster through the Livegenic MyClaim app with a live video call to assess damage.
- Limited coverage. American Modern offers named peril coverage for your dwelling and limits theft situations that are covered.
- Total replacement coverage costs extra. Many competitors include this coverage with standard policies.
- No instant online quotes. You’ll have to wait up to two days for an email or phone response. Otherwise, you can call directly for a faster quote.
- Not available in Florida or New York. The company covers most states but not these.
How to apply for American Modern home insurance
American Modern gives you a simple application, so you can get back to everyday life activities faster. After submitting an online form, expect to hear back from a representative within two business days.
- Go to the American Modern home insurance page. Click Get a quote.
- Choose to call 866-880-8651 or click Fill out a quote form.
- To fill out the online form, select Yes to accept the insurance score disclosure.
- Fill in your basic personal information and details about your home. Click Submit.
- Receive your quote either by email or phone, depending on the contact method you chose.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with American Modern?
You’ll need a handful of details to complete your application, including:
- Date of birth
- Home value
- Current insurance company
- Construction year
- Single or multifamily home
- Type of construction and materials
- Number of stories
- Distance to fire hydrant
- Recent claims
- Coverage needs
- Your phone number and preferred contact method
- Bank account or credit card information