American Fidelity life insurance review 2021
Permanent policies are its specialty, including converted military to civilian life insurance.
Get a quote if…
- You want a policy with cash growth.
Pick something else if…
- You’re looking for a brand name or term life insurance.
17 to 60
$10,000 to $100,000
Medical Exam Required
|Term lengths||10, 20, or 30 year period|
|Medical exam required||No|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Issue age||17 - 60 years old|
- Transfers military term to permanent policies
- Strong finances
- Steady, experienced insurer
- No customer complaints
- Online customer account
- No online quotes
- Could use more details online
- Few customer reviews
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
American Fidelity has proven its ability in the life insurance market with sound investments and years of industry service. It also serves a great need for the US military by underwriting Servicemembers Group Life Insurance policies. The company is one of the only insurers to transfer military policies to permanent civilian policies if veterans prefer that option.
On the other hand, the company isn’t well-known in the market. For customer service, you can expect support to come through the home office with a few services accessible on your online account.
If you enjoy service with a local feel and policies with sound investments and guaranteed cash assets, American Fidelity might be for you. But consider whether you can get better coverage or a lower premium with another life insurance company before finalizing your policy.
American Fidelity life insurance rates
In general, you might pay anywhere from $250 to $1,000 per month for whole life insurance. Universal life insurance premiums may start out similar or higher than what you’re quoted for a whole life policy. Keep in mind that employer-sponsored policies tend to cost less.
What affects my rate with American Fidelity
Your exact rates depend on a variety of factors, including:
- Health, such as blood pressure levels or smoking habits
- Types of hobbies
- Length of your policy
- Insurance offered through your employer
How to get a quote from American Fidelity life insurance
This insurer keeps the sign-up process personal by offering quotes and policy information over the phone. Your application might go something like:
- Call 850-456-7401 to talk with customer service about your policy needs.
- Give the representative your personal information, including your name, address, job and overall health.
- Choose the policy and riders that suit your needs.
- Receive your quote and choose whether or not to buy the policy.
- Fill out your paperwork and enter your credit card or bank draft information. Sign the policy documents.
- Return them to American Fidelity for approval.
- Start your policy on the date agreed upon.
What types of life insurance coverage does American Fidelity offer?
American Fidelity started on the basis of providing life insurance with cash assets to people in the military. It stands by that mission with these types of policies:
- Group life. American Fidelity underwrites Servicemembers Group Life Insurance (SGLI), a group term policy offered to US military members while in active service.
- Whole life. The company’s Flexible Dollar Builder policy can protect you for your whole life while growing a tax-deferred cash value that you can borrow. A whole life policy offers a guaranteed return on your investment and keeps your premiums level the entire time you’re covered.
- Universal life. The Future First Universal policy can stay with you for your entire life while growing tax-deferred interest, but it’s subject to the investment’s performance. Also, your premiums and interest rates may fluctuate. You can find universal life policies with minimum guaranteed return rates like 2%.
- Term life. This policy helps customers who want low-cost insurance for a defined amount of time.
What riders can I add to my policy?
American Fidelity doesn’t specify the riders available to you on its website. Instead, you have to call or email customer service for this information. Riders or benefits the company likely offers:
- Spouse and child rider. Many policies let you add coverage for a spouse or children, allowing the death benefit to get paid out for those named as insureds.
- Portability rider. If you participate in group coverage, this add-on allows you to take your policy with you if you change jobs.
American Fidelity life insurance reviews and complaints
American Fidelity holds a high financial rating with AM Best, proving it has the likely ability to pay out claims in the future. Over at the Better Business Bureau, American Fidelity also receives a high mark for good customer interaction.
|AM Best financial rating||
1/5 out of 1 customer reviews
|Customer reviews verified as of||18 January 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like American Fidelity
More about American Fidelity
World War II Marine Charles Woodbury founded American Fidelity in 1956 after completing his military service. The company’s goal was helping military families in Pensacola, Florida with stable financial planning and products.
Because of its focus on government and stable investments, the company has weathered many economic downturns, including the 2008 recession. It introduced its newest universal life product in November 2008.