Discounted coverage plus accident forgiveness from a trusted regional company.
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you’re looking for discounted motorcycle insurance with excellent customer service.
- Pick something else if you can’t get coverage in your state.
- SR-22 drivers welcome, and safe drivers are rewarded here.
|States served||Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly, custom|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Local agents.
- Many discounts.
- Free additional benefits.
- Accident forgiveness.
- High customer ratings.
- Few coverage options.
- Not all motorcycles get coverage.
- Serves only 19 states.
What motorcycle insurance coverage does American Family offer?
American Family offers basic coverage to protect you against the most common types of accidents.
- Bodily injury liability. Take care of medical bills for the other driver and passengers involved during an accident where you’re at fault.
- Property damage liability. Get coverage for property damage such as vehicles or fences during an at-fault accident.
- Collision. Protect your own motorcycle against damage in an accident you caused.
- Comprehensive. Get peace of mind about out-of-the-ordinary accidents like theft, weather damage or falling debris.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Know you’re covered, even when the at-fault driver can’t pay damages or during a hit-and-run situation.
- Medical payments. Cover medical expenses when you’re down because of accident-related injuries.
What extra benefits and add-ons does American Family offer?
American Family offers several features to make your ride even safer and more enjoyable:
- Accessories and optional equipment. This company protects your bike up to $3,000 at no extra charge. That includes features like saddlebags, extra chrome or even a trailer.
- Safety gear. Get up to $1,000 of coverage for your helmet, boots and other gear that keeps you safe on the road.
- Roadside assistance. Cover roadside needs like towing, fuel delivery and locksmith services if your motorcycle breaks down far from home.
What types of motorcycles does American Family cover?
What bikes does American Family cover?
- Motorized scooters
- Sport motorcycles
- Touring motorcycles
What bikes aren’t covered by American Family?
- Some customized bikes
- Select luxury motorcycles
- Racing or speed bikes
What discounts can I get with American Family?
The company offers many ways to save on your motorcycle premium:
- Earned accident forgiveness. If you and other drivers on your policy have gone accident-free for five years, transfer your policy to American Family and get a break from surcharges on your first accident.
- Collision deductible waiver. Back your car into your bike? If they’re both insured with American Family, get one of the deductibles waived.
- Safety equipment. Install motorcycle safety features like antilock brakes or an antitheft device.
- Multicycle. Insure more than one bike on the same policy for convenience and savings.
- Multiproduct. Bundle all your insurance needs in one place at American Family.
- Continuous coverage. Keep coverage on your motorcycle all year long with no lapses between policy periods.
- Safety course. Complete a safety course with American Family to qualify for an easy discount.
- Payment in full. Pay your entire premium up front.
- Automatic payment. Set up automatic withdrawals so you don’t have to worry about due dates.
- Paperless statements. View your statements with your online account for simple savings.
Which states does American Family offer coverage in?
American Family provides motorcycle coverage to 19 states, mostly in the Midwest:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
Pros and cons of American Family motorcycle insurance
- Local agents. American Family offers a personal touch with its local agents.
- A host of discounts. Stack up on multiple discounts to save big.
- Free additional benefits. The company includes several bonus features in its standard coverage, including safety gear and optional equipment coverage.
- Accident forgiveness. You could get your first accident waived after a long stretch of safe driving.
- High customer ratings. The company is known for its top customer experience and gets highly rated customer reviews.
- Few add-ons. You could find more coverage options with big name insurance brands.
- Not all motorcycles get coverage. The company excludes some types of motorcycles from its coverage.
- Not in every state. American Family only provides insurance in 19 states.
How to apply for American Family motorcycle insurance
Start the process by getting a quote online, by phone or from a local agent:
Online. Follow these steps to apply:
- Go to the company’s motorcycle homepage, then enter your ZIP code and click Start quoting.
- Enter your personal information, motorcycle details and coverage needs.
- Confirm your information and submit to get your quote.
- Contact a local agent to proceed with coverage.
Phone. Talk directly to a representative by calling 800-692-6326.
Local agent. Find an American Family agent closest to you by clicking to connect with an agent. Then, enter your address and choose an agent from those listed.
What info do I need to apply?
Help the application process go smoothly by keeping this information on hand:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s or motorcycle license number
- Motorcycle make, model and license plate number
- Driving history
- Choice of coverage
- Payment information
How to make a claim with American Family
File an accident claim easily using the online claims service, phone support or by contacting your local agent:
- Online. Simply fill out accident information directly from the claims homepage.
- Phone. To speak with an American Family rep, call 800-692-6326 any time of the day.
- Local agent. File with your local agent via phone or personal office visit.
Alternatives to American Family
American Family includes multiple discounts and helpful bonus features when you purchase its motorcycle insurance. It’s also known for excellent customer service. However, you may get more options with big name brands, and you’ll also need to check coverage availability in your area.
Compare motorcycle insurance providers to learn about all your options.
Frequently asked questions about American Family motorcycle insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.