American Family car insurance review
Affordable coverage for any vehicle and driving record.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want good rates with a high risk driver on your policy.
- Pick something else if you want an easy online process or great customer service.
- Coverage for anything from classic cars and boats
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly, custom|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Highly rated support
- Multiple discounts
- Easy claim filing
- Innovative products
- Limited coverage area
- Website hard to navigate
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
American Family auto insurance is best for those living in one of the 19 states it serves who are looking for affordable car insurance. Since this provider offers so many programs for teens and students, it may be a worthwhile option to consider for parents looking for auto insurance for their children.
Despite having limited coverage options, American Family is one of the top 10 insurance companies in the country. Plus with more than 3,500 agents across the US, customer service is both personal and available. If a reliable company with a commitment to customer responsibility is appealing to you, get a free quote online, in person or over the phone.
However, the online process isn’t the best we’ve ever seen, and its customer support is only so-so. That’s right in line with most of the other national providers, but it’s still something to consider. There aren’t a lot of other negatives with this company, so it might be worth checking out.
How to apply for American Family car insurance
Applying for auto insurance with American Family can be done online, by phone or in person. Here’s what you need to know:
- Go to the American Family website
- Enter your ZIP code and select Car from the drop-down menu beside it, then click Start quoting.
- On the next page, click Get your quote today.
- Fill out all of your personal information including name, address and birthdate. Then select Continue.
- Enter your vehicle information and select Continue.
- Add more details about your vehicle, then click Continue.
- Fill out driver details for each of the people you’d like on the policy, then click Continue.
- Enter your Social Security number and information about your current provider, then Continue.
- Customize your policy or continue without making any changes.
- Add your driver’s license information, VIN and if you finance, lease or own the car. Click Continue.
- If you are satisfied with the details, fill out your payment information and purchase your policy.
Call 800-692-6326 to speak with an agent and get the process started.
Use the Find an agent feature on American Family’s website to get in contact with a local agent.
What info do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, birthdate and gender
- Address including ZIP code
- Social Security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle identification number
- Financial information
- Quote reference number if you work with an agent after filling out an online quote
What discounts can I get with American Family?
- Auto safety equipment. Get a 10% to 30% discount based on your car’s safety features.
- Away at school. Receive a discount if your insured student under 25 leaves the car at home while attending school over 100 miles away.
- Billing. Take discounts when you set up automatic payments, pay in full and when you sign up for paperless billing and keep your policy documents electronically.
- Defensive driver. Customers aged 55 and older can save 5% to 10% by completing an approved defensive driving course.
- Early bird. To get the early-bird discount, you have to get a quote from American Family at least seven days before the policy starts. And you have to do it while you have an active policy with another insurer.
- Generational. Get a discount if one or both of your parents are insured by American Family.
- Good driving discount. Drivers without claims, accidents, citations and violations can get reduced rates.
- Good student. Better grades from your teen driver could get you better rates.
- KnowYourDrive. Get a discount of up to 40% using American Family’s telematics program.
- Low mileage. Save more when you drive less than 7,500 miles a year.
- Loyalty. Receive a discount based on how long you have been an American Family customer.
- Multipolicy discount. Receive discounts for bundling insurance policies.
- Multivehicle discount. Insure more than one vehicle and save.
- Steer into savings discount. Get a discount for switching to American Family.
- Teen safe driver. You can get a discount after your teen completes a year or 3,000 miles with the Teen Safe Driver Program.
- Young volunteer. Policyholders under age 25 can receive discounts for completing 40 hours of volunteer work per year.
Yes, your monthly bills for coverage between January and March 2021 will reflect a 10% premium credit. New and existing customers will see the credit applied to their current bills, up until March 2021.
What car insurance coverage does American Family offer?
American Family provides a wide range of coverages to suit most needs, including:
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- Bodily injury liability
- Classic car insurance
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Gap insurance
- Lifetime repairs guarantee
- Personal injury protection
- Property damage liability
- Rental reimbursement
- Rideshare insurance
- SR-22 insurance
- Towing and roadside assistance
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists
American Family car insurance reviews and complaints
American Family is not currently accredited on the BBB website. However, it does hold an A rating along with a composite score of a little over 1 out of 5 stars based on 53 customer reviews as of October 2020. The company also has 227 customer complaints on the BBB website, many of which are in regard to poor coverage or low settlement offers.
However, in the 2019 J.D. Power customer satisfaction study, American Family earned 823 out of 1,000 points. That puts it at about average in the southwest region.
Case study: Amy’s experience
In all honesty, I signed with American Family Insurance because my parents use it, and they sort of passed it on to me when I set out on my own.
It may not be as cheap as an online powerhouse like Progressive or Geico, but I know my agent by name. And when I email him about my car insurance policy, we talk about life too. He knows a bit about my personal story, so I’m more than just answers to a 10-question application.
It’s comforting to know that he’s in an office not far from my neighborhood. And if I get in an accident, we can talk things through face to face. That’s something I’d pay more for any day.
Alternatives to American Family
Where is American Family available?
American Family provides auto insurance in 19 states.
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
Pros and cons of American Family car insurance
- Multiple discounts. Pay less when you bundle services, add multiple cars, drive safely, have a good student and more.
- Claim filing options. You can file a claim online, over the phone or in person with your American Family agent.
- Innovative products. Keep an eye on your kids with the Teen Safe Driver Program, which allows you to review videos of your teen on the road.
- Limited coverage area. If you don’t live in one of the states that American Family services, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
- Website can be difficult to navigate. American Family’s website is tricky to use and requires you to enter your vehicle’s VIN when applying for a free quote.
- Poor online customer reviews. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) hosts a number of negative reviews and complaints for American Family.
- Lengthy application and claims process. Though online applications and claims options are convenient, both processes are quite time-consuming.
How to contact American Family
You can contact American Family by email, live chat, phone or mail.
- Phone. 800-692-6326
- Mail. 6000 American Parkway, Madison, WI 53783
What is American Family?
American Family Insurance was established in 1927, originally insuring farm trucks and equipment. It’s since expanded into several product lines and has more than $1 billion in assets. Though it offers coverage in fewer than half the states in the US, American Family is the ninth-largest insurance provider in the US.
American Family has also made steps toward sustainability, including an on-site fish hatchery and garden plots for employee use.
Frequently asked questions about American Family
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.