Affordable coverage for any vehicle and driving record
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want good rates with a high risk driver on your policy.
- Pick something else if you want an easy online process or great customer service.
- Coverage for anything from classic cars and boats
|States served||Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly, custom|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Highly rated support
- Multiple discounts
- Easy claim filing
- Innovative products
- Limited coverage area
- Website hard to navigate
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||Yes|
Who is American Family best for?
American Family auto insurance is best for those living in one of the 19 states it serves who are looking for affordable car insurance. Since this provider offers so many programs for teens and students, it may be a worthwhile option to consider for parents looking for auto insurance for their children.
Where is American Family available?
American Family provides auto insurance in these 19 states.
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
What car insurance coverage does American Family offer?
American Family offers comprehensive coverage in 19 states across the US.
- Bodily injury liability.This protects you if you injure someone in an accident, but it doesn’t cover your medical bills or your vehicle.
- Personal injury protection coverage.Pays for the medical expenses of an injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage.Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver who can’t cover your damages.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage.Covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Collision coverage.Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Property damage liability.Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Rental reimbursement.Covers the cost of a rental car while your car is being repaired.
- Gap coverage.Closes the gap between what your car’s worth and what’s owed when the car has been totaled.
- Rideshare insurance.Extended personal auto coverage before you’re matched with a passenger.
- Classic car insurance.Specialized policies for insuring classic or collector cars.
- SR-22 Insurance.If you need an SR-22, this provider can help.
What extra benefits and add-ons does American Family offer?
- Emergency roadside service.Helps if you break down and you need roadside repairs.
- MyAmFam App.Make payments, store your ID card, and more.
- Local agents.Each policyholder is matched with a local agent to provide assistance
- Dreams Restored Program.Get referred to one of American Family’s preferred repair shops.
- Teen Safe Driver Program.This app reduces distracted driving and scores each ride, making it clear where your teen can improve. After 3,000 miles or one year in the program, you’ll get a 10% discount on your car insurance.
- KnowYourDrive.Install a telematics device in your car which tracks your driving and sends the information back to American Family. Earn a discount of 5-40% based on how safe your driving is.
What discounts can I get with American Family?
- Multi-product discount.Receive discounts for bundling insurance policies.
- Multi-vehicle discount.Discounts for insuring more than one vehicle.
- Steer into savings discount.Get a discount for switching to American Family.
- Good driving discount.Drivers with clean driving records may get reduced rates.
- Loyalty.Receive a discount based on how long you have been a customer.
- Auto safety equipment.10-30% discount based on your car’s safety features.
- Defensive driver.5-10% discount for completing an approved defensive driving course (ages 55+).
- Low mileage.Those who drive less than 7,500 miles per year may qualify for additional savings.
- KnowYourDrive.Up to 40% discounts through the KnowYourDrive program
- Good student.Better grades get you better rates.
- Teen safe driver.You may get a discount for enrolling in the Teen Safe Driver Program.
- Away at school.Receive a discount if the insured driver is a student under 25 attending school over 100 miles from the insured vehicle.
- Young volunteer.Policyholders under age 25 can receive discounts for completing 40 hours of volunteer work per year.
- Generational.Receive a discount if your parents are insured by American Family
- Autopay.Receive a discount for enrolling in and using autopay.
- Full pay.Receive a discount for paying for your policy in a lump sum.
Pros and cons of American Family car insurance
- Highly rated support.American Family Insurance earns consistent high praise for its customer service.
- Multiple discounts.Pay less when you bundle services, add multiple cars, safely drive, are a good student and indicate your car’s safety features.
- Easy claim filing.You can file a claim online, over the phone or in person with your American Family agent.
- Innovative products.Keep an eye on your kids with the Teen Safe Driver Program, which allows you to review video of your teen on the road.
- Limited coverage area.If you don’t live in one of the states that American Family services, you may need to look elsewhere.
- Website hard to navigate.American Family’s website is tricky to use and requires you to enter your vehicle’s VIN when applying for a free quote.
- Poor customer reviews.Many customers are unhappy with the service they have received from this provider.
- Lengthy application & claims process.Though it’s convenient to be able to apply for coverage or file a claim online, both processes are quite time-consuming.[
Alternatives to American Family
How to apply for American Family car insurance
Applying for auto insurance with American Family can be done online, by phone or in person. Here’s what you need to know:
- Visit the American Family website
- Enter your postal code and “Car” from the drop-down menu beside it, click “Start quoting”
- On the next page, click “Get your quote today”
- Fill out all of your personal information including name, address, etc. Click “continue”.
- Enter your vehicle information, then click “Continue”.
- Enter additional details about your vehicle, then click “Continue”.
- Enter driver details for each of the people you’d like on the policy, then click “Continue”.
- Enter your social security number and information about your current provider, then “Continue”.
- Customize your policy or continue.
- Add your driver’s license information, then continue.
- Add your car’s VIN and whether you finance, lease or own the vehicle. Click “Continue”
- If you are satisfied with the details, fill out your payment information and purchase your policy.
Call 1-800-692-6326 to speak with an agent and get the process started.
Use the “Find an agent” feature on American Family’s website to find a local agent. Visit them with the following documents to get auto insurance coverage.
What info do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including ZIP code
- Social security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle registration (VIN)
- Financial information
- Quote reference number (if you filled out an online quote)
What do customers say about American Family?
American family is not currently accredited on the official BBB website. However, it does hold an A rating along with a 3.52/5 composite score based on 48 customer reviews. The company has almost 250 customer complaints on the BBB website, many of which are regarding poor coverage or low settlement offers.
On Trustpilot, American Family has an overall satisfaction rating of 1.5/5 stars, following by a long list of customer complaints. Denied claims, slow payouts, poor communication, and unfair settlements are a few of the many issues.
Case study: Amy’s experience
In all honesty, I signed with American Family Insurance because my parents use it, and they sort of passed it on to me when I set out on my own.
It may not be as cheap as an online powerhouse like Progressive or Geico, but I know my agent by name. And when I email him about my car insurance policy, we talk about life too. He knows a bit about my personal story, so I’m more than just answers to a 10-question application.
It’s comforting to know that he’s in an office not far from my neighborhood. And if I get in an accident, we can talk things through face to face. That’s something I’d pay more for any day.
How to contact American Family
You can contact American Family by email, live chat, phone or mail.
- Phone. 1-800-692-6326
- Mail. 6000 American Parkway, Madison, WI 53783
What is American Family?
American Family Insurance was established in 1927, originally insuring farm trucks and equipment. It’s since expanded into several product lines and has more than $1 billion in assets. Though it offers coverage in fewer than half the states in the US, American Family is the 10th-largest insurance provider in the US.
American Family is one of the few companies to make a step toward sustainability, including an on-site fish hatchery and garden plots for employee use. The company is committed to serving its customers through a variety of innovative programs including the Teen Safe Driver program, KnowYourDrive program and more. Through these initiatives, American Family is able to offer affordable insurance on a wide range of products.
American Family is one of the top 10 insurance companies in the country, despite its limited coverage. With more than 3,500 agents across the US, service is available anytime.
If a reliable company with a commitment to corporate responsibility is appealing to you, get a free quote online, in person or over the phone. To be sure you’re getting the best deal on car insurance, be sure to compare car insurance prices across a handful of providers.
Frequently asked questions about American Family
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor