Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
American Express travel insurance: Which credit cards have it?
Numerous Amex cards come with a variety of coverage options.
What's in this guide?
- Types of American Express travel insurance policies
- Travel insurance provided by American Express credit cards
- Compare American Express credit cards with travel insurance
- Who is eligible for American Express travel insurance coverage?
- How to file an American Express travel insurance claim
- Read more about credit card travel insurance offered by different brands
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Types of American Express travel insurance policies
- Car rental loss and damage insurance.
Receive loss and damage secondary coverage, not liability coverage, when renting a car using American Express.
- Baggage insurance.
If the airline carrier loses or damages your checked or carry-on luggage, be reimbursed up to $3,000.
- Trip delay reimbursement.
Receive reimbursement if your travel is delayed for a covered reason.
- Trip cancellation reimbursement.
Receive reimbursement if your travel is canceled for a covered reason.
Travel insurance provided by American Express credit cards
|American Express® Gold Card|
|Amex EveryDay® Credit Card|
|American Express Cash Magnet® Card|
|Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express|
|The Platinum Card® from American Express|
|Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card|
|Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card|
|Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card|
|Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card|
|Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card|
|Hilton Honors American Express Card|
|American Express® Green Card|
|Hilton Honors™ Aspire Card|
|Blue from American Express® Card|
|Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card|
|Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card|
What to watch out for
Like many credit card policies, American Express’s travel insurance coverage is subject to change. The amount covered by each insurance policy ultimately depends on the card you’re using. Review your specific benefits guide for full details.
To receive your insurance coverage, you’ll need to make the relevant purchase entirely on your American Express credit card.
Compare American Express credit cards with travel insurance
Select your credit score below and click “Show Cards” to browse suitable Amex credit cards featuring travel insurance.
Who is eligible for American Express travel insurance coverage?
Eligibility requirements differ slightly for each type of insurance coverage:
Cardholders, their spouse or domestic partner and dependents younger than 23 are covered.
Car rental loss
Cardholders or additional members who signed the rental agreement and declined the full collision damage waiver offered by the rental agency are eligible. Cardholders must also pay for the rental entirely with their credit card. Coverage includes the cardholder, spouse or domestic partner and authorized drivers.
Do I receive coronavirus coverage?
Depending on your specific circumstances, you might find coverage for certain events related to coronavirus through your Amex protections. Check out our coronavirus coverage guide for more information.
How to file an American Express travel insurance claim
You can file all of your insurance claims at the American Express claims center online. This portal allows you to review your benefits, file claims and check your claim status.
Most claims require a few steps:
- Provide notice of your claim to American Express at 800-645-9700. You can also use the claims portal, or write to American Express directly at AMEX Assurance Company, PO Box 981553, El Paso, TX 79998-9920. You’ll need to provide your notice within 30 days of the date of your loss.
- If required, American Express will send a claims form. Fill out this form and gather copies of any requested documents.
- Send your claim forms and documentation to American Express within 90 days of your loss date. You can review the status of your claim online through the claims portal.
Read more about credit card travel insurance offered by different brands
While American Express cards currently lack some insurance options offered by competitors, such as travel emergency assistance, you can still find excellent Amex cards offering a mix of travel insurance perks. Compare your options to find out which American Express travel card is for you or take a look at some other cards with great travel insurance benefits.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert