We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
American Express credit card travel insurance
A variety of coverage options with great rewards and perks.
Upcoming travel insurance changes to Amex credit cards
Amex has recently announced a series of upcoming benefits changes to several of their credit cards. While specific details are still to be announced, you can expect the following tweaks to take effect starting on January 1, 2020:
- The addition of trip cancellation coverage
- The addition of trip delay reimbursement
- The removal of travel accident insurance
- The removal of roadside assistance
- The extended warranty period will be reduced to one year from two years
- The purchase protection coverage period will be reduced to 90 days from 120
American Express credit cards offer a few travel insurance options, with different cards offering a different combination of coverage perks. Find out which card meets both your insurance and spending needs.
What's in this guide?
- Compare American Express credit cards with travel insurance
- Types of American Express travel insurance policies
- Travel insurance provided by American Express credit cards
- Who is eligible for American Express travel insurance coverage?
- How to file an American Express travel insurance claim
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Our pick for an Amex card with travel insurance
American Express® Gold CardRead more
Compare American Express credit cards with travel insurance
Types of American Express travel insurance policies
Car rental loss and damage insurance.
Receive loss and damage secondary coverage, not liability coverage, when renting a car using American Express.
If the airline carrier loses or damages your checked or carry-on luggage, be reimbursed up to $3,000.
Travel insurance provided by American Express credit cards
|American Express® Gold Card|
|Amex EveryDay® Credit Card|
|American Express Cash Magnet® Card|
|Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express|
|The Platinum Card® from American Express|
|Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express|
|Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express|
|Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express|
|Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express|
|Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card|
|Hilton Honors American Express Card|
|American Express® Green Card|
|Hilton Honors™ Aspire Card|
|Blue from American Express® Card|
|Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card|
|Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card|
What to watch out for
Like many credit card policies, American Express’s travel insurance coverage is subject to change. The amount covered by each insurance policy ultimately depends on the card you’re using. Review your specific benefits guide for full details.
To receive your insurance coverage, you’ll need to make the relevant purchase entirely on your American Express credit card.
Who is eligible for American Express travel insurance coverage?
Eligibility requirements differ slightly for each type of insurance coverage:
Cardholders, their spouse or domestic partner and dependents younger than 23 are covered.
Car rental loss
Cardholders or additional members who signed the rental agreement and declined the full collision damage waiver offered by the rental agency are eligible. Cardholders must also pay for the rental entirely with their credit card.
Compare cards with emergency travel assistance
How to file an American Express travel insurance claim
You can file all of your insurance claims at the American Express claims center online. This portal allows you to review your benefits, file claims and check your claim status.
Most claims require a few steps:
- Provide notice of your claim to American Express at 800-645-9700. You can also use the claims portal, or write to American Express directly at AMEX Assurance Company, PO Box 981553, El Paso, TX 79998-9920. You’ll need to provide your notice within 30 days of the date of your loss.
- If required, American Express will send a claims form. Fill out this form and gather copies of any requested documents.
- Send your claim forms and documentation to American Express within 90 days of your loss date. You can review your claims status online through the claims portal.
Read more about credit card travel insurance
While it currently lacks some insurance options offered by competitors, such as travel interruption or cancellation insurance, you can still find excellent American Express cards offering a mix of travel insurance perks. Compare your options to find out which American Express card is for you or take a look at some other cards with great travel insurance benefits.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert