Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
American Express® Gold Card travel insurance
Travel with peace of mind with insurance and coverage included.
Benefits changes to the American Express® Gold Card
American Express recently made changes to some of the card’s benefits. The following changes took effect on January 1, 2020:
- Added trip delay reimbursement
- Reduced extended warranty period from two years to one year
- Reduced purchase protection coverage from 120 days to 90
- Removal of travel accident insurance
- Removal of roadside assistance
- Removal of return protection
The American Express® Gold Card may not offer travel accident insurance, but you get baggage insurance and car rental insurance against theft or damage. This is a great addition included in the other perks.
However, you have to meet certain criteria and you will need to activate each of the travel insurance options.
Travel insurance policies provided by American Express® Gold Card
Who is eligible
The main cardholder, their spouse or domestic partner and dependent children younger than 23 years old are covered with the American Express® Gold Card baggage insurance.
What is included
You’re eligible for this benefit if you lose your baggage on a covered trip. This includes:
- Being a passenger on a common carrier.
- You are on a common carrier’s terminal premises before boarding or after exiting the common carrier.
- You are boarding or exiting the common carrier.
What isn’t included
Your baggage won’t be covered in case of:
- War or acts of war, riot, civil unrest, protests, insurrections, service in the armed forces or similar units and participation in a felony.
- Customs or other government authority confiscation or requisition.
- Normal wear and tear and gradual deterioration of items.
- Fraud, abuse or illegal activity by or on behalf of the covered person.
Items not covered by the baggage insurance are:
- Cash, securities, notes, accounts, bills, deeds, food stamps or evidence of debt or intangible property.
- Credit cards, passports, visas, tickets and documents.
- Plants and animals.
- Food, consumable and perishable items.
- Eyeglasses, sunglasses and contact lenses, hearing aids, artificial teeth and limbs.
- Prescription or nonprescription drugs.
With the American Express® Gold Card insurance, you are covered up to:
- $1,250 for each covered person on a covered trip for baggage replacement while in direct transit to a common carrier’s terminal or when leaving the terminal right after exiting the common carrier.
- $1,250 for carry-on bag replacement for each covered person on a covered trip.
- $500 for each covered person on a covered trip for replacement of checked baggage.
- $250 for each covered person on a covered trip in case of loss of high-risk items, including jewelry, sporting equipment, cameras or electronic equipment, computers and audio/visual equipment, wearable technology, items of gold, silver or platinum and furs or articles made mostly with fur or trimmed or lined with fur.
When to file
You must provide a notice of claim within 30 days of the loss. You can also contact Amex at 800-645-9700 or 303-273-6498 if you’re overseas for further details or for any assistance should you require.
Also, provide written proof that you lost your items within 60 days, including your signed claim form and other requested documentation.
Once you have your proof of loss, address it to:
AMEX Assurance Company,
PO Box 981553,
El Paso, TX 79998-9920.
Car rental loss and damage insurance
Who is eligible
To be eligible for the car rental insurance, you have to:
- Be either the main cardholder or an authorized user.
- Sign the rental agreement.
- Be a permanent resident to one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands.
- Activate your coverage.
How to activate car rental coverage
- Decline the full collision damage waiver (CDW) or pay for a partial collision damage waiver at the rental company.
- Your name is on the rental agreement as the one renting the vehicle.
- You must either pay with your American Express® Gold Card, use American Express membership reward points or pay with Amex Express Pay.
What is included
You get 30 consecutive days of car rental coverage against theft or damage.
What isn’t included
Not all rental vehicles are covered with the card’s insurance. This includes:
- Cargo vans, custom vans, vans with a seating capacity over eight passengers, cube van or box truck, or a truck with a weight rating of 10,000 lbs or more.
- Customized vehicles, except for driver’s assistance equipment.
- Vehicles used for commercial purposes.
- Leased or mini-leased vehicles.
- Antique cars older than 20 years and that aren’t manufactured for 10 or more years.
- Off-road vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds, recreational vehicles, golf or motorized carts, campers, trailers and similar vehicles.
- Vehicles rented in Australia, Italy, New Zealand and countries on the OFAC sanctioned list.
Also, you aren’t covered for losses caused by:
- Intentional damage you cause.
- Damage that occurred before you rented the card.
- Manufacturing defects.
- Confiscation by authority.
- Wear and tear, including gradual deterioration.
- Damage due to freezing, mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure unless this is a result of a theft.
- Theft or damage to the rental vehicle that wasn’t locked or secured at the time of theft or damage.
- Flats or blowout tires or stolen tires, unless they are damaged by fire, malicious mischief, vandalism.
- Damage to another vehicle.
- Damage to property or items not permanently attached to the rented vehicle.
You are covered with a maximum of $50,000. Once you file all documents and American Express accepts them, you will receive your benefits within 90 days.
When to file
First, you must report any damage or loss to law enforcement. If you don’t, Amex may deny your coverage. Next you need to file a notice of claim within 30 days of the loss. For further details, call 800-338-1670 within the US or 216-617-2500 if you’re abroad.
After that, you must provide proof of loss. Send a signed copy along with other documents that American Express may require within 60 days to:
Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance Claims Unit,
PO Box, 94729,
Cleveland, Ohio 44101-4729.
Compare credit cards with travel insurance
How to file an American Express® Gold Card travel insurance claim.
- Call toll-free 800-437-9209 or call overseas collect 303-273-6498 to get more information or to file a claim.
- Provide a notice of claim.
- Provide a proof of loss with additional documents if required. Depending on the insurance, you have either 60 or 90 days to send the proof of loss and the documents at the specified address.
If you’re traveling abroad and you pay the full fare of your trip, your ride or the car rental with your American Express® Gold Card, you can get baggage delay coverage and car rental coverage.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert