American Eagle Real Rewards credit card review
A cobranded card that works in tandem with the Real Rewards program.
- Get this card if you frequently shop at American Eagle or Aerie and want to earn additional points on your purchases.
- Pick something else if you want to earn stronger rewards outside of American Eagle or want to redeem rewards elsewhere.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 80x
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Welcome Offer||20% off your first purchase at American Eagle or Aerie|
|Rewards||Up to 80x Real Rewards points on qualifying jeans, up to 40x points on other purchases at American Eagle and Aerie, and 2x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||25.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The American Eagle Real Rewards credit card is a cobranded card from American Eagle that works in tandem with the Real Rewards program. American Eagle will automatically upgrade cardholders to the second Real Rewards level, which comes with a host of perks. The card itself offers a welcome offer of 20% off your first purchase at American Eagle or Aerie, up to 40x on all purchases at American Eagle or Aerie and 2x on all other purchases, a 20% off coupon each year, no annual fee and an APR of 25.99% variable.
The American Eagle Real Rewards credit card is designed to work alongside an existing rewards program. For that reason, whether or not you find the card valuable depends on your investment in the Real Rewards program. The card itself will immediately place you in the 2nd tier of the program, valued at $150 a year. From there, the card helps you earn more points on your purchases at American Eagle or Aerie as well as modest points outside of these retailers.
Other perks include a 20% off coupon once a year, free shipping and returns and exclusive cardmember sales. It’s not a bad package on the whole – especially for no annual fee – and it’s certainly worth investing in if you’re a devoted American Eagle or Aerie customer. But like most store cards, the American Eagle Real Rewards will best serve you as a supplemental credit card rather than the workhorse of your wallet.
How to apply for the American Eagle Real Rewards credit card
Here’s how you can apply for the American Eagle Real Rewards card:
- Go to the American Eagle website.
- Scroll to the bottom of the main page and click Real Rewards credit cards.
- Scroll down and click Apply now.
- Choose your preferred design and click Select.
- Fill out the requested information and click Submit.
American Eagle Real Rewards credit card benefits
- Earn Real Rewards points. You’ll earn double your usual level rate on American Eagle and Aerie purchases for up to 40x Real Rewards points, quadruple points on eligible American Eagle jeans for up to 80 points per dollar and 2x points on all other purchases. Level 1, 2 and 3 earn 10, 15 and 20 points base rate, respectively.
- Welcome offer. You’ll earn 20% off your first purchase at American Eagle or Aerie purchase when you open and use your credit card.
- Annual coupon. Each year your account is open, you’ll receive a 20% off coupon that can be redeemed that year.
- Free shipping and returns. Cardholders will enjoy free shipping and returns on their purchases.
- Exclusive sales. Cardholders will receive exclusive sales offers.
American Eagle Real Rewards drawbacks
- No intro APR. This card doesn’t offer an intro APR on purchases, which are especially useful on store credit cards. This card also lacks special financing, such as deferred interest.
- High APR. The base APR on this card is very high at 25.99% compared to the industry average of 16%. This high rate makes the card a bad choice for carrying a balance.
- Poor earnings outside of American Eagle or Aerie. You’ll earn just 2 points per dollar spent on purchases made outside of American Eagle or Aerie.
Compare store credit cards
Here are other similar store credit cards to compare to help you find the best card that fits your lifestyle.
American Eagle Real Rewards customer reviews and complaints
Customer reviews on Reddit are generally ambivalent, noting the card doesn’t wow and isn’t the best store card on the market. Synchrony, the provider behind the American Eagle Real Rewards is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and sports an A+ rating as of June 2021. The provider earns a 1.5 out of 5 for customer reviews on Trustpilot as of June 2021, with customers complaining of poor customer service.
If you need more info on whether the American Eagle Real Rewards is right for you, you can check out the Real Rewards program to see if it strikes your fancy. If not, you’ll be better served by a general rewards card or a different store card.