Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
American Express Preferred Seating vs. presale
Find show tickets before they’re available to the general public.
Having good seats at a show can make all the difference. With an Amex card, you can access presales and member onsales for select shows. And with an eligible card, you can find premium seats reserved for Amex members.
What's in this guide?
- What is American Express Preferred Seating and what is presale?
- American Express Preferred Seating vs. presale: Is there a difference?
- How to get American Express Preferred Seating
- Which credit cards offer an American Express preferred seating code?
- Compare American Express credit cards for Preferred Seating
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
What is American Express Preferred Seating and what is presale?
These programs offer access to tickets the general public doesn’t get. Each requires you to buy tickets with an eligible Amex card.
What is American Express Preferred Seating?
This is a program where Amex reserves premium seats at certain shows for select members. It’s different from American Express Seating or Member Onsales, where some seats are open to all Amex cardholders.
What is American Express presale?
All Amex cardholders can buy tickets for select shows before the general public during an American Express presale,
According to Ticketmaster — Amex’s ticketing partner — Preferred Seating presales are available to Amex members with select cards.
American Express Preferred Seating vs. presale: Is there a difference?
With Amex presales we’ve researched, there was no distinction between normal seating and Preferred Seating. However, this might not be the case with every show, and policies can vary based on the event and promoter.
Amex Preferred Seating vs. Amex Seating and Member Onsale
Typically, Preferred Seating offers closer seats to the stage. For example:
- It can seat you to closer sections (see the images below).
- It can seat you within a section, it might take you to the front rows while Amex Seating or Member Onsale seats you would put you farther back.
American Express Card Member Onsale
American Express Preferred Seating
Amex Member sales vs. general onsales
Most of the time, you won’t find better seats in an Amex Member Presale than you would with a general onsale. But you will have the opportunity to buy tickets before they’re available to the general public.
Amex Member Onsales often won’t get you access to better seats than you can buy through a general onsale. For some shows, however, you can score Member Onsale seats that are better than the general public will find.
Pro tip: Offer codes
You don’t need an offer code for Amex Presales or Member Onsales. But you will need one to access Preferred Seating.
What is the Amex Preferred Seating code?
The Amex Preferred Seating offer code is the 10-digit customer support number on the back of your credit card, without hyphens. Typically, inputting 8005253355 will give you access to Preferred Seating tickets.
How to get American Express Preferred Seating
- Visit the dedicated Ticketmaster/American Express ticket page.
- Click American Express seating in the left-hand navigation bar.
- Click Find tickets next to your chosen event.
- Enter your Amex Offer Code in the ticket search bar. If there’s Preferred Seating available, it’ll show up on the right-hand ticket column.
- Add your tickets to your cart, then check out. Use your qualifying Amex card to pay for your tickets.
How to use Pay with Points for your Ticketmaster purchase
To use Pay with Points, buy your tickets on Ticketmaster with your eligible Amex card. Then, call 800-297-3276 and ask to apply your rewards to your Ticketmaster charge.
Which credit cards offer an American Express preferred seating code?
Only select Amex cards qualify you for Preferred Seating. According to Ticketmaster, there are very slight differences between the lists of cards that qualify you for Preferred Seating presales and onsales.
Any Amex credit card qualifies you for Amex Presales and Member Onsales.
Compare American Express credit cards for Preferred Seating
While there usually isn’t a difference between tickets in an Amex presale, Preferred Seating can often get you closer to the action than standard Amex Seating would.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert