Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Amazon Prime vs. Walmart Plus
These membership services will offer subscribers similar benefits, with a few key differences.
Amazon Prime has become a household name thanks to free speedy deliveries, streaming options and shopping discounts. But the online giant might just get a run for its money soon with the upcoming release of Walmart+, a subscription service that offers a similar line of perks.
Though Walmart+ was originally set to launch in July, the company has now announced a Sept.15 launch date.
How will these two memberships compare? Take a look at what we know about Walmart+ so far compared to Prime’s benefits.
Amazon Prime vs. Walmart+
The price for a Walmart+ membership is a bit lower than Prime. You’ll pay $98 per year — or $12.95/month, in comparison to $12.99/month for Prime. But Amazon Prime offers generous discounts for students, whereas the monthly price for Walmart+ is universal.
Here’s a quick look at the cost breakdown and delivery speed for each service:
|Walmart+||$98 per year|
|Amazon Prime||$119 per year|
As of right now, it’s possible that Amazon Prime could edge out its streaming offerings. Walmart has a video platform in the works, but no word if it will be able to compete with the popular titles that Amazon Prime currently offers. Plus, Amazon offers a plethora of books, magazines and music options, adding more competition in the entertainment category.
But Walmart+ has in-person locations, which offer subscribers a speedy checkout process and the ability to see items before purchasing. Shopping may be more streamlined as well, as Walmart+ will offer a Scan and Go feature for contactless payment.
Right now, the only noted discount Walmart+ offers over Amazon Prime is slashed prices for fuel at Walmart gas stations. Members will save 5 cents per gallon at Walmart, Murphy USA, Murphy Express and soon at Sam’s Club locations.
Watch our short video below in which we review Walmart Plus and breakdown how it compares to Amazon Prime.
Amazon Prime overview
- Free one-and two-day delivery, plus two-hour grocery delivery in select cities
- Free one-hour pickup at close to 500 Whole Foods across the country, with a minimum purchase of $35.00
- Stream thousands of movies and TV shows through Prime Video
- Listen to more than 2 million songs on Prime Music
- Unlimited access to 1,000+ ebooks and Audible books
- Discounts on Whole Foods orders, Amazon Music Unlimited and early access to Lightning Deals
- Save unlimited photos to the Amazon Cloud Drive
- Membership is $59/year for students
- 30-day free trial
- Not all TV shows and movies are free
- No fixed rate – it went up in 2018 from $10.99 to $12.99
- Free same-day and one-day delivery only applies to orders of $35 and over
- Customers who spend less than $35 on a Whole Foods order will pay $4.99 for the one-hour pickup service
- Priority delivery slots to be available
- Early access to deals
- Skip the lines in Walmart stores and pay through a Scan and Go feature
- Unlimited same-day grocery delivery and other products through Delivery Unlimited service
- 15-day free trial
- No student discounts have been announced
Deals from Amazon Prime vs. Walmart Plus
What shopping deals can I expect with Amazon Prime?
You’ll find deals on a range of merchandise and food when you shop Amazon Prime.
- Weekly discounts at Whole Foods
- Weekly deals on products ranging from wellness to tech
- Prime Day, an annual event that offers two days of deals for subscribers
What about Walmart Plus?
While nothing has been confirmed, there are a few potential deals subscribers might get from Walmart+.
- Discounts on prescription drugs
- Advanced access to holiday sales
- Free films and television shows
Which service has deals on clothing?
Walmart+ hasn’t rolled out their plan for clothing deals, but Amazon Prime offers Prime Shopping, which allows subscribers to order clothes before paying for them and receive monthly styling advice.
Which subscription service will give you more bang for your buck? It depends on your individual purchasing habits. Right now, Amazon Prime is leading with its perks, but tailing Walmart+ with its price.
The gas savings incentive is a definite advantage for Walmart+, but Amazon Prime may edge it out with its streaming selection. Overall, Walmart+ is less expensive if you pay per year.
More guides on Finder
Best store credit cards of 2021
Here are our picks for the best store cards of the year.
Top 15+ stores to buy girls’ clothing
Scoop up some of the best deals on girls’ clothing, from cozy sweaters, comfy athletic wear and everything in between. Plus see where to get free shipping.
Where to buy a Thanksgiving turkey
These top online stores have fresh and frozen turkey in stock, plus holiday sides, desserts and more. See which stores offer same-day delivery and extra savings.
Peapod is a delivery service that shops, packs and delivers your groceries to your home or business. See a step-by-step guide, customer reviews and what to watch out for.
How to get makeup delivered same-day
Need a new makeup product in a hurry? There are a few retailers that offer same-day delivery, so you can primp with time to spare.
Chewy online shopping review
Here’s what you need to know about Chewy, the popular pet retailer that offers fast shipping, a wide-variety of products and 24/7 customer service.
Amazon Prime Day homeware deals 2021
Find deals on home furnishings, kitchen appliances and more during Amazon’s two-day savings event.
Amazon Prime Day tech deals 2021
Find deals on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more during Amazon’s two-day sale event.
Amazon Prime Day grocery & pantry deals 2021
Find food and drink deals for the foodie in your life — or just stock your pantry for the holiday season ahead. These are the top discounts happening October 13th-14th.
Amazon Prime Day baby deals 2021
Browse top deals on baby products for Amazon Prime Day’s two-day online sales event.
Ask an Expert