Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Union Strong Mastercard® Credit Card review
NOTE: This bank is no longer accepting new card accounts.
finder.com’s rating: 4.4 / 5
- Get this card if you want to earn rewards on rotating categories and save money on interest.
- Pick something else if you want a stronger signup bonus.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 5x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then to variable)
|Welcome offer||$150 after spending $1,200 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||5x points in rotating categories up to $1,500 combined each quarter, then 1x after that and on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then from 9.25% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 18 months (then 9.25% variable)|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a cryptocurrency and investments writer who has written over 700 articles to help readers find and compare the best financial options. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange and stock market trading.
The Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Union Strong Mastercard® Credit Card comes with a $0 annual fee, a decent signup bonus of $150, and you get a long intro APR on balance transfers for the first 18 months and purchases for 12 months. Once the intro periods are over, a variable APR of 9.25% will apply.
Also, you get to earn 5x points on rotating categories each quarter on up to $1,500 in combined purchases, and 1x after reaching the cap. This puts the card on par with similar bank-issued competitor cards, except the Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Union Strong Mastercard® Credit Card has an incredibly low APR.
Overall, if you’re looking to earn the highest rewards on rotating categories while paying low interest rates, this could be a card worth considering.
How to apply for Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Union Strong Mastercard® Credit Card
You must be a US resident and at least 18 years old — 19 in Alabama and Nebraska. Increase your chances of success with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher. To apply:
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Fill out the application form using your personal information, employment information and annual income, and your monthly housing payment.
- Review the application form and submit.
Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Union Strong Mastercard® Credit Card benefits
- Reward points. Earn 5x points in combined purchases on up to $1,500 on quarterly rotating categories, including dining, groceries, gas and automotive. After reaching the cap, earn 1x points on all purchases.
- Signup bonus. Earn $150 in statement credit bonus after you spend $1,200 in your first 90 days of card membership. This is a high spend requirement as similar cards only require you to spend $500 to earn the bonus.
- Intro APR period. Get a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers for the first 18 months and purchases for the first 12 months after you open your account. After that, a variable APR of 9.25% applies — the lowest interest rate compared to similar cards.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t incur any foreign transaction fees when you use the card abroad or when making online purchases at foreign merchants.
- No annual fee. You get to earn rewards and save money on interest without paying an annual fee.
Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Union Strong Mastercard® Credit Card drawbacks
- Loss of intro APR period. You may lose your intro APR and incur standard APR instead if you make a late payment.
- Balance transfer limitations. You must transfer your balance within 90 days when you open your account to use the intro APR period. Balance transfers made after your first 90 days will incur the standard APR.
Compare rewards credit cards
If this card isn’t right for you, compare other rewards cards on the market. Consider the categories you spend most in and which cards will reward you for those purchases.
2021 calendar for quarterly rotating categories
|Quarters||January–March 2021||April–June 2021||July–September 2021||October–December 2021|
|5x category||Health and wellness||Spring spruce-up||Travel||Enjoy the holidays|
|Example||Qualifying groceries, fitness clubs, hospitals and pharmacies||Qualifying home improvement, gardening, Amazon.com and other major online retailers||Qualifying airline, cruise, car rental, hotel, travel agency purchases, gas, tolls and ride share||Qualifying dining and groceries, food delivery services, liquor stores, and Amazon.com|
The Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Union Strong Mastercard® Credit Card could be a solid choice if you’re looking for a solid rewards credit card with a low standard APR.
But if you don’t find this card appealing, compare your credit card options until you find the right fit for your wallet.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.