Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
AMA towing and roadside assistance
Get all the benefits of an AMA membership, plus free or upgraded roadside service.
With your American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) membership, you’ll be covered if you find yourself stranded on the side of the road. In addition to getting help while riding your motorcycle, AMA’s roadside assistance also covers all registered personal vehicles in your home.
What’s included with AMA towing and roadside assistance?
AMA offers two coverage options: Standard AMA Roadside Assistance and AMA Roadside Assistance Plus. Both programs include the following services:
- Battery jump. Provides jump starts for most vehicles. However, if your motorcycle can’t be jumpstarted, you can get towed instead, which is also covered.
- Flat tire assistance. Swap for your owner-supplied spare tire, or tow the motorcycle if no spare is available.
- Fuel, oil, fluid and water delivery service. You’ll pay for the gas or motor oil, but the delivery and service call is free.
- Lock-out assistance. The service unlocks or tows the vehicle if they aren’t able to unlock it.
- Mobile mechanic assistance. This service is for RVs, and covers the service call for a mobile mechanic to go to your RV’s location minus the cost for parts or labor.
Standard vs. Plus AMA Roadside Assistance
- Standard. Standard offers unlimited service calls for covered motorcycles and up to three service calls for other vehicles in your household. There is a max of five vehicles total, including your motorcycle. Standard assistance comes with AMA membership at no additional cost.
- Plus. With Roadside Assistance Plus, you get unlimited calls for ALL vehicles in your household, including motorcycles, cars, trucks, trailers and RVs.
How do I get AMA towing?
To get towing and roadside assistance, you’ll need to be a member of AMA and either opt to auto-renew your membership every year or buy a three-year membership.
Once you opt into one of these membership options, you’ll get the free towing plan or you can choose to upgrade.
Standard Roadside Assistance
All AMA members in good standing are eligible for Standard Roadside Assistance with their regular membership dues. To get this included roadside assistance, you must:
- Sign up for autorenewal or purchase a three-year membership.
- Maintain a valid credit card and email address with AMA.
Roadside Assistance Plus
To get unlimited coverage for all vehicles at your house, upgrade to Plus in one of two ways:
- Purchase the upgrade for $25 a year.
- You’ll get Roadside Plus if you’re a Life Member. Life Membership costs an additional $29 on top of the basic membership fee.
How much does AMA membership cost?
AMA offers tiered membership plans. Choose from:
- Associate – $25 — Includes all AMA member benefits except the magazine. Associate members are not eligible to participate in AMA-sanctioned competition events. Member must reside at the same address as an AMA Standard, AMA Life or AMA Champion level member.
- 1-year Standard – $49 – Includes all AMA member benefits, including American Motorcyclist magazine.
- Family Primary – $98 – Includes all AMA member benefits, including American Motorcyclist magazine.
- 3-year Standard – $147 – Includes all AMA member benefits, including American Motorcyclist magazine and AMA Roadside Assistance. Does not require automatic renewal.
- Life membership – $1,500 – Includes all AMA member benefits, including AMA Roadside Assistance Plus, American Motorcyclist magazine and is good for the life of the member.
What membership benefits do I get?
In addition to roadside assistance, a membership with AMA will also get you:
- Member discounts. Savings on motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rentals, transportation and lodging, among other discounts.
- AMA roads and trails database. Access to AMA’s online database to find the best roads and trails.
- American Motorcycle magazine. Choose from either the Street or Competition & Off-Road version of the magazine.
- Free entry. Visit the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum free with your membership.
Alternatives to AMA towing
What’s not covered by AMA towing?
- Towing range. You’ll pay for towing to a facility that’s more than 35 miles away.
- Commercial vehicles. Commercial trailers, trucks, motorcycles and cars are not covered by AMA.
- Winching. Your roadside assistance does not include winching if your bike gets stuck and needs a pull.
- Seven day period. You can only have one service call for each type of service a week. But you can have multiple service calls within a week for different services.
- Parts. Roadside assistance does not include parts, spare wheel or battery delivery.
How to use AMA roadside assistance
To sign up, call the main office number at 614-856-1900.
For current members, call 877-373-6285 to get assistance while on the road. Be sure to have proof of coverage at the time of service.
Joining the American Motorcyclist Association comes with roadside assistance at no additional cost. But it doesn’t include insurance for your motorcycle. So check out your options if you’re in the market for a policy.
Frequently asked questions about AMA towing
More guides on Finder
Compare car insurance in Stockton
Compare car insurance rates and features that serve Stockton.
Car insurance in Modesto
These 4 best car insurance picks are a good starting point for shopping around in Modesto.
Car insurance in Bakersfield
Compare top car insurance companies in Bakersfield, plus see why you need extra coverage here.
USAA SafePilot review
Save up to 30%, but using your phone — even in hands-free mode — lowers your discount.
Aeroplan® Credit Card review
Chase’s new Air Canada card offers a big signup bonus.
Compare car insurance in Fresno
Compare insurers that serve Fresno, California, side by side.
Car insurance in San Diego
These top 4 companies should narrow down your car insurance options in San Diego.
Investing in your 30s: 8 wealth-building tips
Prepare to revamp your asset allocation and explore new investment classes.
This online brokerage offers commission-free trading and makes it easy to locate stocks for shorting.
Kinecta Federal Credit Union CD review
Choose from four types of CDs and earn competitive rates with a low $100 minimum deposit.
Ask an Expert