Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
AMA towing and roadside assistance
Get help when you’re on the road with supplemental motorcycle insurance.
With your American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) membership, you’ll be covered if you find yourself stranded on the side of the road. In addition to getting help while riding your motorcycle, AMA’s roadside assistance also covers all registered personal vehicles in your home.
What does AMA include with roadside assistance?
AMA offers two coverage options: Standard AMA Roadside Assistance and AMA Roadside Assistance Plus. Both programs include the following services:
- Battery jump. Provides jump starts for most vehicles. However, if your motorcycle can’t be jumpstarted, you can get towed instead, which is also covered.
- Flat tire assistance. Swap for your owner-supplied spare tire, or tow the motorcycle if no spare is available.
- Fuel, oil, fluid and water delivery service. You’ll pay for the gas or motor oil, but the delivery and service call is free.
- Lock-out assistance. The service unlocks or tows the vehicle if they aren’t able to unlock it.
Mobile mechanic assistance. This service is for RVs, and covers the service call for a mobile mechanic to go to your RV’s location minus the cost for parts or labor.
What’s the difference between Standard and Plus?
- Standard. Standard offers unlimited service calls for covered motorcycles and up to three service calls for non-motocycle vehicles in your household. There is a max of five vehicles total, including your motorcycle. Standard assistance comes with AMA membership at no additional cost.
- Plus. With Roadside Assistance Plus, you get unlimited calls for ALL vehicles in your household, including motorcycles, cars, trucks, trailers and RVs.
What’s not covered by AMA roadside assistance?
- Towing range. You’ll pay for towing to a facility that’s more than 35 miles away.
- Commercial vehicles. Commercial trailers, trucks, motorcycles and cars are not covered by AMA.
- Winching. Your roadside assistance does not include winching if your bike gets stuck and needs a pull.
- Seven day period. You can only have one service call for each type of service a week. But you can have multiple service calls within a week for different services.
- Parts. Roadside assistance does not include parts, spare wheel or battery delivery.
How do I get roadside assistance from AMA and how much does it cost?
To get roadside assistance, you’ll need to be a member of AMA. Choose from two levels of roadside assistance.
Standard Roadside Assistance
All AMA members in good standing are eligible for Standard Roadside Assistance with their regular membership dues. To get this included roadside assistance, you must:
- Sign up for autorenewal or purchase a three-year membership.
- Maintain a valid credit card and email address with AMA.
Roadside Assistance Plus
To get unlimited coverage for all vehicles at your house, upgrade to Plus in one of two ways:
- Purchase the upgrade for $25 a year.
- You’ll get Roadside Plus if you’re a Life Members. Life Membership costs an additional $29 on top of the basic membership fee.
Alternatives to AMA roadside assistance
What other benefits do I get with an AMA membership?
In addition to roadside assistance, a membership with AMA will also get you:
- Member discounts. Savings on motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rentals, transportation and lodging, among other discounts.
- AMA roads and trails database. Access to AMA’s online database to find the best roads and trails.
- American Motorcycle magazine. Choose from either the Street or Competition & Off-Road version of the magazine.
- Free entry. Visit the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum free with your membership.
What is the cost of an AMA membership?
AMA offers tiered membership plans. Choose from:
- Associate membership $25 — Includes all AMA member benefits except the magazine. Associate members are not eligible to participate in AMA-sanctioned competition events. Member must reside at the same address as an AMA Standard, AMA Life or AMA Champion level member.
- 1-year Standard membership – $49 – Includes all AMA member benefits, including American Motorcyclist magazine.
- Family Primary membership – $98 – Includes all AMA member benefits, including American Motorcyclist magazine.
- 3-year Standard membership – $147 – Includes all AMA member benefits, including American Motorcyclist magazine and AMA Roadside Assistance. Does not require automatic renewal.
- Life membership – $1,500 – Includes all AMA member benefits, including AMA Roadside Assistance Plus, American Motorcyclist magazine and is good for the life of the member.
How do I use roadside assistance from AMA?
To sign up, call the main office number at 614-856-1900.
For current members, call 877-373-6285 to get assistance while on the road. Be sure to have proof of coverage at the time of service.
Joining the American Motorcyclist Association comes with roadside assistance at no additional cost. But it doesn’t include insurance for your motorcycle. So check out your options if you’re in the market for a policy.
Frequently asked questions about AMA roadside assistance.
More guides on Finder
Heacock Classic car insurance review November 2020
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Say car insurance review Nov 2020
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Acceptance car insurance review Nov 2020
Consider Acceptance if you’re a high-risk driver, but prepare for the possibility of a negative customer service experience.
How to hire an employee
9 steps for recruiting, screening and adding a member to your team.
LegalShield online legal services review
LegalShield is a retainer-style service for individuals and businesses that can help provide legal advice and representation for a number of law issues.
Hagerty classic car insurance review November 2020
Hagerty sets the bar on wide classic car coverage with thousands of positive customer reviews to back it up.
Compare crossover insurance
Make sure your insurance covers your crossover for wherever you want to take it.
Financial assistance for people affected by the coronavirus
Where to find relief if the COVID-19 outbreak hurts your income.
Toyota roadside assistance
ToyotaCare offers more than roadside assistance, and you can extend it for an extra cost.
Compare coupe insurance
Owning a coupe doesn’t have to come with a higher insurance premium.
Ask an Expert