Allstate renters insurance review
Easy affordable insurance options await with Allstate Renters Insurance.
- Get a quote if you’re comparing top companies in the market.
- Pick something else if highly rated customer service is a must.
- Renters looking to bundle or without recent claims may get the best rate.
All 50 states
- Top company in the market
- Steep discounts up to 25%
- Local agents
- High ratings for claims
- Poor customer reviews
- Online quotes not always available
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||55 and retired|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Allstate keeps a decent list of coverage for your basic needs and then some. Its biggest benefits include steep discounts for bundling with car insurance, staying claim-free or enjoying retirement over age 55. The company also reaches the second top spot for market share, showing that many people choose it for their home insurance needs.
However, it does have a substantial number of low customer reviews that raise concerns over its service. Allstate might work for you if you’re already a customer or are curious about discounts you qualify for. As always, compare multiple renters insurance quotes to make sure you’re getting the best value and benefits.
What renters insurance coverage does Allstate offer?
Allstate protects all the necessities and includes some water damage protection free of charge. Coverage includes:
- Personal property coverage. Theft, destruction by fire, and other peril is included in the protection of your clothing, furniture, and other electronics when you choose this policy.
- Scheduled personal property. Collections, jewelry, and other high-value items can be protected under this when personal property coverage just simply doesn’t pay enough.
- Reimbursed living expenses. If your cost of living increases because of your place becoming unlivable this coverage will pay out for things like a temporary place to live and food.
- Liability coverage. Someone getting injured in your residence can result in a lawsuit. With this coverage you can get legal expenses, medical bills, and other damages taken care of.
- Guest medical coverage. Medical expenses such as x-rays or an ambulance can be covered if a guest injures themselves at your place.
- Identity restoration coverage. It is difficult to recover from identity theft alone, but with this policy you can have the help of a fraud specialist to guide you through.
- Flood insurance. A separate policy available is flood insurance to protect against damages done to your personal possessions.
- Personal umbrella insurance. Another separate policy available is to cover extra liabilities that your lifestyle may bring.
- Digital Locker app. This application allows you to take pictures to quickly and easily inventory and organize all of your possessions. The app is available for both tablets and smartphones. When cataloging your possessions, you’re also able to assign a value to each one and organize them in lists. To help you catch all of the items in your room of value there are even templates available directly in the app.
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
Allstate offers several steep discounts you could qualify for:
- Safe home. Shave 15% off your premium if you have safety devices like a fire or theft alarm.
- Claim-free. Save up to 20% for switching to Allstate without claims and keep saving by staying claim-free each year.
- Multipolicy. Add renters to Allstate car insurance for as low as $4 a month.
- 55 and retired. If you’re not working full time as a senior, you could get up to 25% off.
Pros and cons of Allstate renters insurance
- Top insurance company. Allstate stands at the top of the home insurance market, suggesting that it’s a first choice for many customers.
- Steep discounts. You could get high discounts for a renters policy by keeping your rental safe and staying claim-free.
- Local agents. The company offers personalized customer service amidst many online-only renters insurance companies.
- Highly rated for claims. Allstate received top marks for its renters claims from the 2019 J.D. Power Renters Insurance Study
- Poor customer reviews. The company holds 1 out of 5 stars based on over 250 customer reviews from the Better Business Bureau, as of November 2019.
- Online quotes not always available. You may have to finish up your quote through a local agent, even if you start the quote online.
How to apply for Allstate renters insurance
To apply, you can start a quote online or reach out to a local agent near you:
- Go to Allstate’s website.
- Click Renters.
- Enter your ZIP code. Click Next.
- Select other policies if you want to bundle, then click Get started.
- Enter basic personal information and hit Next after each set of questions.
- Enter basic information about your rental and its safety features. Tap Next.
- Receive your quote and review your coverage.
- If you agree, enter your payment information and finalize policy details.
- You may be prompted to contact the Allstate agent near you for a quote, in some cases.
Local agent. Contact an agent near you by using the Find an agent tool.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with Allstate?
Keep this information on standby for a quick application process:
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Spouse’s information, if applicable
- Previous address if moved within two years
- Phone number
- Type of building
- Safety features
- Coverage needed and start date
- Bank account or credit card information