Allstate home insurance reviews
This provider is in a league of its own when it comes to available add-ons and discounts.
- Get a quote if you want to customize your coverage with a huge range of add-ons.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for the lowest base rate or a quick online quote.
- Loyal Allstate customers who renew their policies early stand to save the most on insurance.
All 50 states
- Great coverage at low rates
- Easy claims app
- Tons of discounts
- Agents available locally
- Local agent experience can vary
- Inaccurate quote tool
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Optional|
Katia Iervasi is a writer from sunny Sydney, Australia. Her writing — and curiosity — has taken her around the world, and she now calls chaotic, creative New York home. With a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance, mortgages and finance for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
As one of the industry leaders, Allstate is a solid choice for home insurance — especially if you’re a first homebuyer, or a loyal customer who’s willing to bundle policies. The company offers specialized coverage and a long list of discounts, but its system for online quotes can be long and frustrating.
If you’d prefer a more seamless digital experience, take the time to compare home insurance providers.
What home insurance coverage does Allstate offer?
Allstate sells a suite of home insurance coverage to protect your home and belongings. Your policy might include:
- Dwelling coverage. A standard coverage, this pays for the physical structure of your home, such as the walls and roof.
- Personal property coverage. This takes care of the belongings inside your home — even if they’re stolen or damaged outside of the house.
- Liability protection. If someone sues you or files a claim against you after being injured on your property, this coverage kicks in to pay for the damages and legal defense. It also applies if you damage someone else’s property.
- Guest medical protection. This covers the medical expenses for someone who’s injured in your home.
What optional coverage does Allstate offer?
Allstate offers a suite of optional coverage to consider, including:
- Water backup coverage. When your drain clogs up or your sump pump breaks, this optional coverage comes in handy.
- Valuable personal property coverage. This covers valuable and appraised items, like antiques and wedding rings.
- Business property coverage. Run a business from home? This increases your coverage for any business-related items you keep at home, such as computers and inventory.
- Sports equipment coverage. This raises your limits for expensive sporting gear, like golf clubs.
- Green improvement reimbursement. If you opt into this coverage and replace damaged or destroyed covered items with energy-efficient alternatives, Allstate will pay for them.
- Identity theft restoration coverage. An optional coverage, this pays for the legal fees, lost wages and other associated costs if you’re a victim of identity theft.
- Electronic data recovery coverage. This covers the cost of recovering lost data, like photos and videos.
- Musical instruments coverage. This add-on increases your coverage for your piano or other instruments.
What discounts can I get with Allstate?
Allstate has more advertised discounts than its major national competitors, like State Farm and Progressive. These include:
- Multipolicy discount. You can save up to 25% if you bundle your home and auto policies.
- Easy Pay Plan discount. Set up automatic payments to earn a discount of 5%.
- Claim-free discount. If you switch to Allstate and have no recent home insurance claims to your name, you could shave 20% off your premium.
- Protective device discount. Get a discount if your home has a burglar system, fire alarm, backup generator or another theft or fire protection device.
- Safe home discount. Save for having a smoke-free home, storm shutters, hail-resistant roof and more.
- Early signing discount. Save up to 10% when you sign up for a new policy at least seven days before your current one expires.
- Homebuyer discount. Allstate offers a discount to reward new home buyers or insuring a new construction home.
- 55 and retired discount. If you’re over 55 and retired, you could earn a discount.
Pros and cons of Allstate home insurance
- Customizable coverage. Along with the regular coverage, the insurer offers add-ons for things like home businesses and water damage.
- Sophisticated app. Make a payment, file a claim, and manage your policy from your smartphone. You can also store photos of your home and inventory in the app’s digital locker.
- Round-the-clock support. The customer service team is available 24/7 — and so is the claims department.
- Educational website. Allstate’s site is packed with information, and is particularly useful for first homebuyers. Its tool, GoodHome, aggregates weather patterns, claims histories and public records in your area to let you know about the risks your home is most likely to face.
- Nationwide network of agents. It’s easy to connect to a local agent and get specialized advice.
- Diverse discounts. Allstate offers a string of discounts that may cut the cost of your home insurance.
- Financially strong. The insurer has an A+ rating with AM Best, which means it has the ability to pay out claims.
- Long application form. The form is incredibly specific, and doesn’t always result in a quote.
- Flawed online quoting system. The online quote tool isn’t always accurate or clear, so you may have to call an agent to get a quote.
- Higher rates. While Allstate offers a range of discounts, its base rates aren’t the most competitive in the market.
How to apply for Allstate home insurance
To apply for coverage, follow these steps:
- Go to the Allstate website. On the top toolbar, hover over Insurance & More and click Home Insurance.
- Enter your zip and press Get a Quote.
- Choose Home Insurance. If you want to bundle your policy with auto, renters or life insurance, select those, too.
- Click Get Started.
- Fill out the application form with your name, date of birth, gender and marital status the click Next.
- Complete address details and contact information, then click Next. The form takes about 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
Online quotes aren’t available in some states. If that’s the case for you, contact a local agent using the search tool on the website.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Allstate?
The provider will ask for the following:
- Personal and contact details
- Claims history
- Details about your home — including the year it was built, whether it has a secure garage, and what type of foundation it sits on.
The site will pull some information from public records, but you’ll need to fill in the gaps.
How do I make a claim with Allstate?
To make a home insurance claim, contact your local agent. They’ll record the claim and walk you through the next steps: an evaluation of your home, and an estimate of the damages and repairs.
If you don’t have a dedicated agent, you can file a claim in these ways:
- Phone. Dial 800-255-7828. Claims representatives are available 24/7.
- App. Report a claim and upload photos directly to the Allstate Mobile app.
- Online. Log in to My Account to file and track your claim.
When you make a claim, you’ll be given a tracking number. Be sure to include this number on all documents moving forward.