Allied car insurance review Mar 2021
Backed by Nationwide, Allied offers coverage with a network of independent agents.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want in-person support.
- Pick something else if you want to manage your account online.
- Drivers who want customized policies can find good deals from Allied.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
- In-person support.
- 12-month policy terms.
- Customizable coverage.
- Extra benefits for bundling policies.
- Allied mobile app.
- No online quote
- No online account management
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Allied Insurance has made a name for itself as a dependable provider with personalized service. It’s not as instantly recognizable as its parent company, Nationwide, but it offers a slew of customizable coverage to meet individual driver needs. Plus you can access roadside assistance or file a claim through its mobile app — making not-so-great situations a bit easier to manage.
Allied Insurance is an agent-driven insurance provider that’s best for individuals living in one of the 33 states it services who are looking for customized coverage and in-person support. If you’re looking for the best digital experience and don’t live in one of those states it services, you’re out of luck. But if personalized support is your ideal experience, give Allied a try.
How to apply for Allied car insurance
Unfortunately, Allied Insurance doesn’t offer an online quote tool, so you’ll need to contact a local agent to get an estimate on how much a policy will cost you.
What info do I need to apply?
To receive a free quote, you’ll need to provide:
- Your personal information, including your driver’s license number and birth date.
- Info on your driving history.
- Details on the vehicles you wish to insure.
- Details on the drivers who will be listed on the policy.
How do I find an Allied Insurance agent near me?
- Visit the Allied Insurance site and put in your ZIP code in the top right menu option.
- A list of local agents will pop up, along with their contact information.
- Choose the insurance agent most convenient for you.
What discounts can I get with Allied Insurance?
Allied Insurance offers many programs with discounts and incentives. As with most auto insurance providers, you’re going to find the standard options, including:
- Multi-policy discount. Enjoy a lower premium on your auto insurance if you also have a life insurance or annuity contract with Nationwide.
- Multi-vehicle discount. Insure more than one vehicle to unlock savings.
- New vehicle discount. Just buy a new set of wheels? You’ll get rewarded with lower premiums for insuring a newer car.
- Accident-free discount. Earn a discount every year you drive without an accident.
- Good student discount. Students who maintain at least a B average will qualify for savings.
- Early pay discount. Enroll in autopay to get a one-time discount on your premium.
- Prior carrier discount. If you’ve never insured with Allied before, you could qualify for a discount just for being a new customer.
- Farm Bureau discount. If you live in California, Ohio, Delaware, Maryland or Pennsylvania and you’re a customer of the Farm Bureau, you could score savings on your policy.
What car insurance coverage does Allied offer?
- Bodily injury. Covers injuries to others in the case of an at-fault accident.
- Property damage. Coverage for damage to other vehicles or property for an at-fault accident.
- Collision. Provides coverage for any damage to your vehicle when you cause an accident.
- Comprehensive. Covers damages to your vehicle caused by anything other than an accident, such as vandalism, rockslides, wildfires and more.
- Medical payments. Covers injuries to you or your passengers or if your hit by a car while walking or running.
- Personal injury protection. Covers medical expenses and lost wages for you and your passengers. This is only available in some states.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists (UM/UIM) coverage. Provides bodily injury coverage if you’re injured by a hit-and-run driver or someone without enough insurance. Coverage is also available if you’re in an accident while on foot.
- Rental reimbursement. If your car is in the shop due to an accident, this covers costs for a car rental, bus ticket or other form of transportation.
Allied car insurance reviews and complaints
Nationwide, which is Allied Insurance’s parent company, has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 1955 and earns an A+ rating based on 117 customer reviews. As of October 2020, 98% of these reviews are negative, with customers complaining of Nationwide’s long claims process and unhelpful adjusters.
However, online reviews for Allied Insurance specifically are mixed. While many reviewers say they experienced excellent customer service and a smooth claims process, others experienced the exact opposite. As an Allied customer, your experience with the company might depend on the nature of your claim and the agents you speak with.
Keep in mind customer reviews are only one part of the decision-making process when it comes to choosing the right auto insurance provider.
Compare car insurance companies like Allied
Who is Allied Insurance best for?
Allied Insurance is an agent-driven insurance provider that’s best for individuals living in one of the 33 states it services who are looking for customized coverage and in-person support. It operates in:
- North Carolina
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
What other benefits can I get with Allied?
Aside from the standard auto insurance offerings, Allied allows you to customize your policy with its Allied Rewards program. Some of the options include:
- Accident forgiveness. Worried about your rates increasing after an accident? Have no fear: With accident forgiveness, you won’t be penalized for one accident or traffic violation — even if you’re at fault — if you have a good driving history. You’re allowed one forgiven accident every three years per policy.
- Good-As-New. If you total a car that’s less than three years old, Allied covers the costs to buy a brand-new car. Any car older than three years is replaced with gap coverage, paying the difference between your coverage and how much you owe on your car loan.
- Roadside assistance. Don’t worry about being stranded on the road. Roadside assistance helps with towing, fuel delivery, jump-starts, flat tires and locked keys. You can choose from basic or high-level coverage.
- Vanishing deductible. For every year of safe driving, get $100 shaved off your deductible — up to $500.
- Total loss deductible waiver. Adding this option to your policy means you won’t have to pay your deductible if your car is totaled.
When you bundle your home and auto insurance with Allied, your rate is locked for 12 months. You’ll also get access to Allied Extra, which has benefits that include:
- A single deductible. Only pay one deductible for a claim when both your home and auto are affected by the same event, like a tornado or hurricane.
- Bonus emergency lockout. Pays for a locksmith if you lock your keys in your home or car.
- Bonus airbag replacement. Pays for a new airbag if the previous one deploys accidently.
- Bonus accident death benefit. Pays $10,000 if you die in a covered accident involving your car.
Pros and cons of Allied car insurance
- In-person support. An Allied independent agent is available 24/7 for questions about your policy or need assistance.
- 12-month policy terms. While most auto insurers offer a standard six-month policy term, Allied gives you the option of choosing a 12-month term.
- Customizable coverage. With the Allied Rewards program, you can choose from special coverage options to create a policy that best meets your needs.
- Extra benefits for bundling policies. Unlock extra perks when you bundle your home and auto policies through the Allied Extra program.
- Allied mobile app. Pay your bill, file a claim, view your policy information and more through Allied’s free mobile app.
- No online quote. Everything is done through an Allied independent agent.
- No online account management. You can access your account online or through the app to view your policy or print ID cards, but if you want to change things, you’ll have to go through your agent.
How to make a claim with Allied
With Allied Insurance, you can file a claim:
- By phone. Call the 24/7 claims support team at 800-282-1446.
- Online. Go to the Allied Insurance website and login to your account to start the claims process.
- Through the app. Launch the Allied mobile app and click Start Auto Claim.
Whichever option you choose, you’ll need to provide information including your policy number, the accident location and details on what happened, info for the other drivers involved and photos, if you have them.
How to contact Allied Insurance
For policy, billing and claim questions. Call 800-282-1446 — available 24/7.
For general inquiries. Contact Allied’s home office at 800-532-1436.
For a comprehensive solution, you can also download Allied’s free mobile app for Apple and Android. The app lets you view your coverage, make a claim, make payments, connect with your agent and get roadside assistance.
Frequently asked questions about Allied Insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.