Allied car insurance review 2023
- Roadside assistance
- Included free
- New car protection
- Accident forgiveness
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you like in-person support.
- Pick something else if you're looking to get quotes online.
- Most drivers are welcome with Allied.
12-month policy terms.
Extra benefits for bundling policies.
Allied mobile app.
No online quote
No online account management
|States served||Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Get the cheapest quotes on your auto insurance
Enter your ZIP code to see insurers near you.
Your information is secure.
Get the cheapest quotes on your auto insurance
Enter your ZIP code to see insurers near you.
Your information is secure.
How to get a free quote for Allied car insurance
Contact a local agent to get an estimate on how much a policy will cost you by calling 888-688 1446. Or you can go through the quoting process online:
- Visit the Allied Insurance site, put in your ZIP code in the quote tool and select Get a quote.
- Enter basic personal information about yourself and Next.
- Enter details about the car you’d like to insure, your driving history and any other drivers on the policy. Hit Next.
- Choose your coverage, review your quote and finalize your policy information.
What info do I need to apply?
You’ll need some basic details about yourself, your car and other drivers you’re insuring to get a quote. Those include:
- Your personal information, including your driver’s license number and birth date.
- Info on your driving history.
- Details on the vehicles you wish to insure.
- Details on the drivers who will be listed on the policy.
What discounts can I get with Allied car insurance?
As with most auto insurance companies, you’ll find standard discounts with Allied to help you save on your premiums.
- Multipolicy. Enjoy a lower premium on your auto insurance if you also have a life insurance or annuity contract with Nationwide.
- Multivehicle. Insure more than one vehicle to unlock savings.
- New vehicle. Just buy a new set of wheels? You’ll get rewarded with lower premiums for insuring a newer car.
- Accident-free. Earn a discount every year you drive without an accident.
- Good student. Students who maintain at least a B average will qualify for savings.
- Early pay. Enroll in autopay to get a one-time discount on your premium.
- Prior carrier. If you’ve never insured with Allied before, you could qualify for a discount just for being a new customer.
- Farm Bureau. If you live in California, Delaware, Maryland, Ohio or Pennsylvania and you’re a customer of the Farm Bureau, you could score savings on your policy.
What add-ons and benefits can I get with Allied?
Allied Insurance offers many programs with discounts and incentives. Aside from the standard auto insurance offerings, Allied allows you to customize your policy with its Allied Rewards program. Some of the options include:
- Accident forgiveness. Worried about your rates increasing after an accident? Have no fear: With accident forgiveness, you won’t be penalized for one accident or traffic violation — even if you’re at fault — if you have a good driving history. You’re allowed one forgiven accident every three years per policy.
- Collision. Provides coverage for any damage to your vehicle when you cause an accident.
- Comprehensive. Covers damages to your vehicle caused by anything other than an accident, such as vandalism, rockslides, wildfires and more.
- New car replacement. If you total a car that’s less than three years old, Allied covers the costs to buy a brand-new car. Any car older than three years is replaced with gap coverage, paying the difference between your coverage and how much you owe on your car loan.
- Rental reimbursement. If your car is in the shop due to an accident, this covers costs for a car rental, bus ticket or other form of transportation.
- Roadside assistance. Don’t worry about being stranded on the road. Roadside assistance helps with towing, fuel delivery, jump-starts, flat tires and locked keys. You can choose from basic or high-level coverage.
- Total loss deductible waiver. Adding this option to your policy means that you won’t have to pay your deductible if your car is totaled.
- Vanishing deductible. For every year of safe driving, get $100 shaved off your deductible — up to $500.
When you bundle your home and auto insurance with Allied, you’ll get access to Allied Extra, which includes these free benefits.
- A single deductible. Only pay one deductible for a claim when both your home and auto are affected by the same event, like a tornado or hurricane.
- Emergency lockout. Pays for a locksmith if you lock your keys in your home or car.
- Airbag replacement. Pays for a new airbag if the previous one deploys accidentally.
- Accidental death benefit. Pays $10,000 if you die in a covered accident involving your car.
Allied car insurance reviews and complaints
Allied Insurance isn’t accredited or rated by the Better Business Bureau as of 2022. However, its parent company, Nationwide, has been accredited since 1955 and earns an A+ BBB rating to date. Nationwide also holds a composite rating of 1 out of 5 stars based on nearly 150 customer reviews.
To put these ratings in perspective, Allied has only received two complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) in 2020 for its private auto insurance. This number is far fewer than most insurance companies, which receive dozens of complaints each year.
Many recent complaints about Nationwide’s car insurance focus on frustration with steep premium increases or disagreeing with how claims were settled. Other reviewers complain about a drawn-out claims process. For Allied specifically, NAIC complaints involve customers frustrated with their policy getting canceled or delays in the claims process.
Also, keep in mind that many customers only leave reviews when they’ve had an overwhelmingly positive or negative experience. Happy customers don’t always let the company know that they’re satisfied with its service.
Our star ratings for Allied, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Allied above average because of its high business ratings and financial strength, along with few customer complaints for Allied Insurance. Allied did score lower for its pricing because it doesn’t offer common discounts that you’d find with other insurers, including a discount for car safety features or taking a defensive driving course.
Compare alternatives to Allied
Check out policies from other insurance companies and tap Get quotes to see the policy customized to you.
What car insurance coverage does Allied offer?
Allied provides a suite of add-on coverage that can boost your car insurance protection. But you can also get the basics needed to get you on the road.
- Bodily injury. Covers injuries to others in the case of an at-fault accident.
- Property damage. Coverage for damage to other vehicles or property for an at-fault accident.
- Medical payments. Covers injuries to you or your passengers or if your hit by a car while walking or running.
- Personal injury protection. Covers medical expenses and lost wages for you and your passengers. This is only available in some states.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Provides bodily injury coverage if you’re injured by a hit-and-run driver or someone without enough insurance. Coverage is also available if you’re in an accident while on foot.
Pros and cons of Allied car insurance
You won’t lack choices for coverage with Allied, and you get to make those choices with an agent’s help. But you can’t get quotes online here.
Allied offers plenty of coverage and perks to round out your car insurance protection. Its benefits include:
- In-person support. An Allied independent agent is available 24/7 for questions about your policy or need assistance.
- 12-month policy terms. While most auto insurers offer a standard six-month policy term, Allied gives you the option of choosing a 12-month term.
- Suite of coverage options. With the Allied Rewards program, you can choose from special coverage options to create a policy that best meets your needs.
- Perks for bundling. Unlock perks when you bundle your home and auto policies through the Allied Extra program, including free coverage if you lock yourself out of your car or a single deductible if your home and car are involved in a single accident.
- In-app claims. You can’t file claims on the go with every small insurance company, but in-app claims are available with Allied.
A few drawbacks could lead you to compare car insurance with other companies. Those include:
- Finicky online quote tool. You may need to finalize your policy through an Allied independent agent, especially if you can’t get its quote tool to work. We had trouble getting a final estimate when going through the online tool.
- Lacks discounts offered elsewhere. With Allied, you’re limited to fewer discounts than usual for a car insurance company.
How to make a claim with Allied
With Allied Insurance, you can file a claim using whichever method suits you best.
- By phone. Call the 24/7 claims support team at 800-282-1446.
- Online. Go to the Allied Insurance website and login to your account to start the claims process.
- Through the app. Launch the Allied mobile app and hit Start Auto Claim.
Whichever option you choose, you’ll need to provide information including your policy number, the accident location and details on what happened, info for the other drivers involved and photos, if you have them.
Ways to contact Allied Insurance
Get your questions answered by calling the customer service number that applies to your situation.
- For policy, billing and claim questions. Call 800-282-1446 — available 24/7.
- For general inquiries. Contact Allied’s home office at 800-532-1436.
- Mobile app. For a comprehensive solution, you can also download Allied’s free mobile app for Apple and Android. The app lets you view your coverage, make a claim, make payments, connect with your agent and get roadside assistance.
Frequently asked questions
How do I manage my policy?
View your policy and insurance card, file a claim, pay your bill and contact roadside assistance with Allied’s free mobile app. However, to make changes to your policy, you’ll need to contact your local agent.
What is a deductible and how does it work?
A car insurance deductible is the amount of money you pay out of pocket toward your repairs or medical expenses before your insurance provider steps in to cover the rest.
For example, say you get in a minor accident and repairs will cost $300. If your deductible is $500, you’ll need to pay for all of the repair costs, since your deductible wasn’t met.
However, if the cost of repairs were to come in at $2,000 — you’d pay $500, and then your insurance would pay the remaining $1,500.
Does Allied Insurance offer other types of insurance?
Yes, Allied offers a number of other insurance products for both individuals and businesses, including:
- Home insurance. Whether you’re in need of homeowners, renters or condo insurance, Allied has you covered.
- Inland marine insurance. Insure your art, antiques, jewelry and more with additional protection beyond your homeowner’s coverage.
- Powersports insurance. Have fun and stay protected with coverage for your motorcycle, boat, RV, ATV or snowmobile.
- Personal umbrella insurance. Secure your family against potential lawsuits that can put your personal assets at risk.
- Identity theft protection. Safeguard yourself in the event that your wallet is stolen, you fall prey to an email scam, your info is involved in a corporate data breach and more with this product.
- Life insurance. Secure your family for the future, save for your kid’s college or create an inheritance with one of Allied’s life insurance policies.
- Business insurance. No matter if you run a golf course, flower shop or senior living facility, Allied offers coverage to help secure your business.
- Surety bonds. Offers contract, commercial, court and fidelity bonds to protect your business interests in a number of different situations.
- Commercial auto insurance. Get liability, comprehensive, collision, UM/UIM and more coverage for your fleet of business vehicles.
- Commercial property insurance. Safeguard your equipment, facilities and inventories with a customized policy that fits your unique business.
- General liability insurance. Includes bodily injury and property damage liability, medical payments, personal and advertising injury liability and more to protect you when accidents happen on the job.
- Commercial umbrella insurance. Cover your business in the event of an unexpected lawsuit by opting for umbrella insurance.
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked