Allianz international travel insurance review
Get coverage before you jet overseas with this insurer's international travel policies.
If you frequently travel abroad and want extra coverage for sickness, injury or cancellation, Allianz international travel insurance can help. The insurer has a range of policies to protect you and your family from medical bills, lost luggage and other unexpected events so you can travel with peace of mind.
Compare Allianz travel insurance policies
What types of international travel insurance does Allianz offer?
Allianz has three policies on offer for international travellers:
- The Basic Plan. The most economical choice for domestic and international travels. It includes crucial emergency medical coverage in case you are injured or fall ill on your trip.
- Classic Plan. Kids 17 and younger are covered at no charge when traveling with a parent or grandparent. This plan offers emergency medical coverage, and is the most popular plan for family vacations, cruises and tours.
- Classic Plan with Trip+. You and your family can enjoy maximum protection for medical emergencies and other unexpected travel events.
What’s covered under my travel insurance policy?
Benefits vary between policies. Here’s a basic breakdown of what’s covered under each tiered policy.
|Benefits||Basic plan||Classic plan||Classic plan with trip+>|
|Emergency medical coverage||Up to $10,000 in emergency medical coverage and $50,000 for emergency medical transportation||Up to $25,000 for emergency medical coverage and $500,000 for emergency medical transportation||Up to $50,000 and $100,000 for emergency medical transportation|
|Trip interruption||Full cost of trip||150% of trip cost||150% of trip cost|
|Trip delay||Up to $300 daily||Up to $800 daily||Up to $1,600 daily|
|Lost or damaged luggage||$500||$1,000||$2,000|
Add on features for Allianz travel insurance policies
Each policy comes with these built-in benefits:
- 24-hour hotline assistance. 24-hour hotline assistance is included with the Basic plan. The Classic plan and Classic plan with trip+ both offer an upgraded version with the 24-hour hotline assistance plus.
- Existing medical coverage. If you, a family member or traveling companion have a pre-existing medical condition, your plan may provide existing medical condition coverage.
- Change fee coverage. If you change your date on your airline ticket, the Classic plan and Classic plan with trip+ can reimburse you $250.
The pros of Allianz international travel insurance
These are the advantages of going with Allianz for your international travel insurance needs:
- Online purchasing. You can purchase an insurance plan easily online.
- Global assistance. Allianz travel insurance services clients in over 150 countries, and can help you no matter where you’re traveling.
- Frequent traveler loyalty plan. In the event of a covered trip cancellation, you can be reimbursed for paid frequent flyer mile redeposit fees up to $250. This coverage is included with the Classic plan and Classic plan with trip+.
- Coverage. Each of the three international travel insurance plans offer a wide range of coverage that can help people feel safer while traveling abroad and overseas.
- Review period. If you’re not happy with your coverage or decide to cancel you coverage for any reason, Allianz offers a 10-day review period if you haven’t left for your trip or filed a claim.
How to buy Allianz international travel insurance
If you’re a US citizen, you’re eligible to buy coverage. You can purchase a policy online through Allianz’s website.
To sail through the process, have the following information handy:
- Full name
- Phone number
- Additional traveler information
- Payment information
- Dates you’re traveling
Before you leave for an international trip, it’s important to have travel insurance in place — and Allianz’s lineup covers a range of medical emergencies and unexpected events. While it’s a good choice, it’s worth comparing travel insurance companies to make sure you’re getting the best coverage at the lowest price.