Allianz domestic travel insurance review
Choose from cheap, flexible policies to protect your vacation or road trip.
Allianz offers a range of domestic travel insurance policies to protect trips within the US. While the policies are budget-friendly, they come with a long list of exclusions — so be sure to read the fine print.
Compare Allianz travel insurance policies
What types of domestic travel insurance does Allianz offer?
Allianz has three types of domestic travel insurance policies:
- The Essential Plan. Offers flexibility with cancelling and interrupting trips.
- The Basic Plan. An economical choice for domestic travelers.
- The Classic Plan. A popular plan for family vacations, tours, and cruises, this is the only plan that offers Missed Connection Coverage for a missed flight or cruise. The Classic Plan is also the only of the three that covers frequent flyer mile redeposit fees (up to $250), and reimburses fees to change the dates on your airline ticket.
There’s a 10-day review period guarantee with every policy purchase. If you are not satisfied with the coverage, you can receive a refund on your insurance premium if you cancel your policy within 10 days of purchase. However, the guarantee is only valid if you have not already filed a claim or left on your trip.
What does my travel insurance policy cover?
The coverage varies between policies. But most of Allianz’s policies come with this coverage:
- Emergency medical coverage. You have emergency medical and transportation coverage included with both the Basic and Classic Plans. The Basic Plan offers up to $10,000 in emergency medical coverage, and the Classic Plan offers up to $25,000. For emergency medical transportation, the Basic Plan offers $50,000 coverage, and the Classic Plan provides $500,000 coverage.
- Trip coverage. If your trip is interrupted, the Essential and Basic Plans cover up to the amount purchased. The Classic Plan covers up to 150% of the amount purchased. If you need to cancel the trip for any reason, all three plans cover up to the amount purchased.
- Baggage coverage. If your baggage is lost or damaged, the Basic Plan will cover up to $500, and the Classic Plan will cover up to $1,000. If your baggage is delayed, the Basic Plan covers up to $300, and the Classic Plan up to $800.
- 24-hour hotline assistance. The Basic Plan and Essential Plan both offer 24-hour hotline assistance. The Classic Plan offers an upgraded version of the 24-hour hotline assistance with additional features.
- Existing medical coverage. If you, a family member, or traveling companion have an existing medical condition, your plan may provide Existing Medical Condition Coverage.
Pros and cons of Allianz travel insurance
- Easy online purchasing. You can purchase an insurance plan easily online.
- Global assistance. Allianz services clients in over 150 countries across the world, and can help you no matter where you are traveling to.
- Wide coverage. Each of the three domestic travel insurance plans offer a wide range of coverage that can help people feel safer while traveling.
- Long list of exclusions. Your plan might not cover every possible reason for delays or cancellation, such as delays of less than 24 hours. Read your policy details carefully before signing.
How to buy Allianz domestic travel insurance
You can request a quote on Allianz’s website, and the insurer makes it easy to compare and purchase policies.
If you decide to proceed with a policy, you’ll need to provide the following information:
Required documents and information:
- Full name
- Phone number
- Additional traveler information
- Payment information
Who’s eligible for Allianz domestic travel insurance?
Coverage is open to US citizens.
Note that CDI coverage is not available to NY and TX residents (except when purchased as a separate policy).
If you frequently travel in the US and want added protection and coverage, Allianz Domestic Travel Insurance is worth looking into. Before choosing Allianz, be sure to compare plans with other travel insurance companies.