Alliant Credit Union car loans review
Financing and car-buying services for good-credit borrowers.
finder.com’s rating: 4.2 / 5.0
Alliant Credit Union offers dealership financing for new and used cars, as well as refinancing. There are with no prepayment penalties and you can get approved as soon as the same day. But you won’t be able to buy from a private seller.
Min. Loan Amount
Max. Loan Amount
2.74%(as low as)
First, am I eligible?
Before you get started with the application process, to qualify for a car loan from Alliant Credit Union you must:
- Be a member of Alliant Credit Union
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a debt-to-income ratio lower than 50%
What makes a car loan from Alliant unique?
Alliant Credit Union has low rates and a wide range of car loan options. You can finance a small loan of $5,000 for a cheap used car or buy the new car of your dreams for $50,000. Alliant covers financing for both new and used vehicles up to $1,000,000. You may never need that amount, but if you’re afraid you won’t be able to borrow enough to finance that Tesla — no worries, Alliant has loans for that, too.
To qualify for the best rates, your credit needs to be in the good to excellent range. You’ll also have to be a member of Alliant to apply, and your debt-to-income ratio should be below 50%.
What types of vehicles does Alliant offer loans for?
As a member of Alliant, you’re able to apply for both new and used car loans, refinance an existing car loan.
- New car loans.
- Used car loans.
- Auto refinancing loans
Alliant Credit Union auto loan rates
The range of interest rates differ depending on the type of car loan you apply for.
|Type of loan||Starting APR|
|New car loan||2.74%|
|Used car loan||3.49%|
|Used car loan 10-15 years||6.49%|
These rates represent the lowest interest you’ll receive from Alliant. Your true rate is determined during the application process and depends on your credit score, the car you’re financing and your ability to repay the loan.
Does Alliant offer any discounts?
Yes, Alliant offers two different types of discounts on your car loan’s APR:
- Autopay discount. When you sign up for automatic payments of your loan, Alliant will give you a 0.4% rate discount.
- Alliant Credit Union Car Buying Service discount. When you buy a car from a TrueCar certified dealer through the Alliant Credit Union Car Buying Service Dealer, you’ll save 0.5% on your APR. This rate discount cannot be combined with any other rate discount, however.
What other types of vehicles does Alliant finance?
Alliant offers financing for recreational vehicles (RVs). You may be eligible for rates as low as 4.74% and terms up to 120 months. The process works similarly to regular car loans — if you’re preapproved, you can take your offer to an RV dealership and make your purchase before completing your loan documents through Alliant.
Alliant Tesla financing
Alliant is one of the few lenders that offers financing for new and used Teslas. Terms run up to 84 months, though the longest are only available to the largest loans and highest credit score. You can also purchase insurance like mechanical repair coverage and GAP insurance while financing a Tesla through Alliant.
What are the benefits of an Alliant Credit Union car loans
- Car-buying service. Alliant can walk you through the whole process of buying and financing your next car.
- No prepayment penalties. You can save money on your loan by paying off the remaining amount early, and Alliant won’t charge a fee for prepayment.
- Tesla financing. This credit union is one of the few places where you can finance a Tesla.
- Multiple rate discounts. You can use Alliant’s Car Buying Service, TrueCar, or sign up for automatic payments to receive a discount on your APR.
What to watch out for
- Must be a member of Alliant Credit Union. As with all financing offered by credit unions, you’ll need to be a member before you can apply for a car loan.
- Potentially expensive with longer term. You might want to think twice before getting an 84 month loan. While it costs less in the short-term, you’ll pay more overall and run the risk of going upside down.
- No private party financing. You can’t use this loan to buy a car from a private individual.
More car loan offers to consider
What do customers have to say about Alliant car loans?
Customers have mixed reviews of Alliant as of June 2019. While the Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives it an A+ rating, customers awarded it as just above 1 out of 5 starts.
Some find the credit union to give excellent customer service and deal with loan issues, while others have reported that they have been overcharged and received contradictory answers for the same problem. One customer complained of how slow the auto loan process took. Another said they were denied for a car loan with a credit score of 702.
Alliant and its other loan products
How do I apply?
You can apply for a car loan through Alliant as a member or non-member. If you don’t have a membership, you’ll become a member after completing your loan application and receiving your decision.
Here are the basic steps to apply:
- Go to Alliant Credit Union’s website, hover over Borrow in the top navigation bar and click Car Loan or RV Loan depending on whichever you’d like to apply for.
- Click the green and white Apply Now button.
- If you’re a member, click Log in & Apply. If you’re not yet a member, click Apply as New Member.
- After reading the Electronic Signature and Consent to Conduct Business Electronically agreement, check the I Agree box and click Continue.
- Choose between a new auto loan, used auto loan, new Tesla loan, used Tesla loan or RV loan. Click Continue.
- Select whether you’re aiming to purchase a vehicle or refinance an existing loan. Enter your loan amount and the preferred term of your loan. Click Continue.
- Supply your personal information, including your full name, date of birth, Social Security number, phone number and email. Click Continue.
- Create a pin or select that you don’t want to. Click Continue.
- Supply your address, housing status and monthly payment. Click Continue.
- If you want a coapplicant, enter their information. Click Continue.
- Enter information about your employment status and whether you have alternate sources of income. Click Continue.
- If you know the VIN of your vehicle or the make, model and year of your car, enter it next. Click Continue.
- Review your application.
Once you’ve completed your application, agree to allow Alliant Credit Union to pull your credit and submit. Your application is processed, and you’ll receive a decision on your application status within a few minutes.
Step-by-step application with screenshots
What documents will I need for my application?
- Purchase agreement for your vehicle
- Proof of income
If you aren’t a member, Alliant Credit Union may also require that you send a copy of your driver’s license.
I’ve been approved. What happens next?
If your application is approved, you can do one of two things:
- Take your offer to a dealer. If you don’t know what car you want, you can use your offer to help negotiate the price.
- Pay for your vehicle. If you’ve already selected your vehicle and gave Alliant the information, you can use your offer to complete the buying process.
I got the loan. What’s next?
Once your loan has been processed and you’re behind the wheel of the car of your dreams, here are a few tips to stay on top of your car loan payments:
- Sign up for autopay. Not only could you earn a discount on your car loan’s APR, you won’t have to worry about remembering to make a car loan payment by a certain date each month.
- Stay on top of your accounts. Yes, autopay can help remember payments, but don’t turn a blind eye to your finances. Even technology makes mistakes sometimes, so keep an eye on your bank statements to make sure there aren’t any incorrect transactions.
- Contact customer service. If you hit a rough patch financially and you’re worried about missing a payment, let Alliant Credit Union know before missing it to see if they can work with you on a solution until you get back on solid footing.
Alliant Credit Union supplies its members with a quick, seamless option when they need to finance a new or used car. With two types of rate discounts, a maximum borrowing cap of a whopping $1,000,000 and reasonable APRs, this could be a suitable lender if you have good to excellent credit. However, they aren’t your only option. It’s always wise to compare your car loan options to find the right lender for your particular situation.
Frequently asked questions
Business loan ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We rate car loan providers on a scale of 1 to 5 stars based on factors like transparency, costs and customer experience. We don’t take into account elements like eligibility criteria, state availability or payment frequency — we save that for our reviews.