Alfa car insurance review
A hometown insurance company from humble beginnings serving the South and Midwest
finder.com's rating: 3 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re a member of the AFF and want exclusive benefits.
- Pick something else if you’re not in the farming industry and want the cheapest rates.
- Drivers in the South get rewarded for safe driving.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Exclusive AFF benefits
- Trusted company
- Rewards safe drivers
- Limited states
- Cost more for non-farmers
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 25%|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Alfa’s been around in some form for over 70 years, leaving your policy backed with decades of insurance experience. Today, it’s a small insurer offering broad auto coverage in its three core states of Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi.
If you have a clean record and a home in one of these states, you could get personalized coverage through hometown agents. However, compare Alfa’s rates against other car insurance providers if you’re not part of the Alabama Farmers Federation.
How to get a free quote for Alfa car insurance
Alfa accepts applications by phone or through a local agent only. To apply or find an agent near you:
- Go to the Alfa website.
- Type your ZIP code into the Find an Agent or Get a Quote tool.
- Call or visit the agent near you.
What info do I need to apply?
The information you’ll need to apply for car insurance may vary based on the local provider you choose. Generally speaking, have the following information on hand:
- Your basic personal information, such as your name and address.
- Your car’s VIN or the make, model and package of the car you’d like to insure.
- Information for any drivers you’d like to add to your policy.
What discounts can I get with Alfa?
Alfa offers several discounts for driving a safe car, including bundled savings when you insure your car and home or life insurance together with Alfa.
But to qualify for young driver, student and some defensive driving discounts, you’ll need to meet certain age requirements.
- Air bags. Save up to 25% on medical payment coverage if your vehicle is equipped with airbags.
- Antitheft devices. Get up to 10% off comprehensive coverage if your vehicle is equipped with devices that keep your car safe.
- Defensive driver. Save on your policy when you take a defensive driving or accident prevention course.
- Youth defensive driving. Rewards unmarried drivers ages 16 to 24 who pass a defensive driving test.
- Good student. Discounts rates for unmarried drivers ages 16 to 24 years with qualifying grades.
- Driver training. Rewards 16- to 20-year-old drivers who complete a driver’s education course.
- Multicar. Save when you insure two or more cars with Alfa.
- Homeownership. Prove that you own your home for savings on your auto policy.
What are the benefits of an Alabama Farmers Federation membership?
Known for working with farmers, Alfa extends benefits to members of the Alabama Farmers Federation. Members receive a $500 rebate for buying a Ford and phone service discounts if they sign up with T-Mobile.
Most notably, members receive group rates for health and dental insurance — a flat rate offered to everybody — as well as discounts on home, life and auto insurance.
Depending on your needs, you could quickly make up for the $30 membership dues in discounts and benefits alone. Learn more at the Alabama Farmers Federation site.
Alfa car insurance reviews and complaints
Because Alfa’s auto policies are offered through a series of independent insurance agents, it’s not easy to find customer reviews about the company generally, but it has received A- rating from BBB and A from AM Best, as of October 2020.
Online customer reviews are mixed, which is typical for insurance providers. Most negative reviews are due to a slow claims process, spotty customer service and increasing rates, even for clean driving records.
While these reviews are discouraging, they’re only a handful of Alfa customers who had bad enough experiences for them to leave reviews.
Our star ratings for Alfa, explained
Compare alternatives to Alfa
What car insurance coverage does Alfa offer?
- Liability protection. Provides protection for bodily injury and property damage if you’re responsible for an accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists. Protects you against injury and damages caused by improperly insured drivers.
- Medical payment. Pays for medical or funeral expenses after a car accident, regardless of fault, for anyone in the vehicle.
- Comprehensive. Provides coverage for damage from extreme weather, animal collision, vandalism or theft.
- Collision. Provides coverage for loss of, or damage to, your vehicle if involved in an accident.
- Roadside assistance. Provides towing, mechanical and roadside help with common issues like locked doors, tire changes and gas delivery to customers in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi.
- Loss of income. Covers income loss if you or anyone else in your car can’t work as a result of an accident. Coverage is 85% of your income for up to a year and no more than $750 a month.
- Loss of use and travel expenses. Provides car rental coverage while yours is in the shop in the event of a comprehensive or collision loss.
In addition to standard coverage, Alfa’s comprehensive and collision protection pays up to $200 for clothing or luggage loss and even covers an additional bed for a family member if you need to stay overnight in the hospital. Alfa also pays $50 a day for loss of wages if an Alfa rep asks you to attend a trial after an accident.
How to make a claim
Like most insurance companies, you can start the claims process online, through an app or by calling a dedicated claims line.
- Online. Complete the Report a Claim form to start your claim.
- By phone. Call Alfa’s claims office at 800-964-2532, pressing 2 for claims.
- Through an agent. Call your local Alfa agent or find one online.
- Mobile app. The free Alfa2Go app doesn’t sound popular, but it can help you start your claim.
After you start your claim, Alfa assigns an adjuster to your case. Your adjuster will contact you shortly to walk you through the steps of completing your claim.
How to contact Alfa
Your options for speaking with customer support depend on the state you live in, which can be frustrating when you need help right away.
Get started online at Alfa’s Contact Us page. Select your state to see phone, email, live chat and agent options for support.
Frequently asked questions about Alfa
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.