ALEC Student Select Visa Review
Enjoy a 12-month intro APR on purchases and balance transfers with this student card.
- Get this card if you’re mostly interested in a student card that can help you save on interest.
- Pick something else if you want a student card that can also earn rewards.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then to variable)
Intro balance transfer
for the first 12 months (then 12.2% variable)
Balance transfer APR (variable)
Steven Dashiell is Senior Writer, Personal Finance at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, NASDAQ, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The ALEC Student Select Visa is a straightforward student card that offers an intro APR on purchases and balance transfers. It requires no annual fee, comes with a 0% intro APR offer on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, reverting to 12.2% variable.
ALEC, the Illinois-based credit union that provides the Student Select Visa, is a smaller, local credit union, which means you won’t find the breadth of perks and benefits you might find with a major card provider. A few niceties like travel accident and baggage delay insurance are included, but you won’t find rewards with this version of the card.
ALEC’s other student card, the Student Select Rewards Visa, offers rewards – 1 point per dollar spent – making it the ideal choice between these two student cards.
How to apply for the ALEC Student Select Visa Card
You can apply for the ALEC Student Select Visa by doing the following.
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Mouse over Products and services at the top of the page and click on Visa credit cards from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to the Student Visa and select Apply now.
- Fill in the requested information and select Submit when finished.
ALEC Student Select Visa benefits
- Intro APR. This card comes with a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, reverting to 12.2% variable after. This is a lower than average ongoing APR, which usually rests around 16%.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
- Card perks. This card offers a few useful perks, including auto rental collision damage coverage, travel accident and baggage delay insurance, and 24-hour support.
ALEC Student Select Visa drawbacks
- Balance transfer fee. While the card comes with an intro APR on balance transfers, it still carries a 2% balance transfer fee.
- No rewards. This version of the ALEC Student Card doesn’t earn rewards on purchases.
Compare student credit cards
Explore your options by minimum deposit required, purchase APR, annual fee and minimum credit score. Select the Apply now button to start your application for a particular card.
ALEC Student Select Visa customer reviews and complaints
Few customer reviews exist for the ALEC Student Select Visa. The ALEC credit union however receives an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and is accredited with the organization as of October 2021.
Like most small credit union cards, the ALEC Student Select Visa is a solid pick if you prefer sticking with ALEC, but there are stronger student cards available on the market. You can compare student cards to see how the ALEC card stacks up to these heavy-hitters.