ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa review
Earn 1x points per dollar spent and enjoy a 12-month 0% intro APR.
- Get this card if you’re mostly interested in a student card that can help you save on interest.
- Pick something else if you want a student card that can earn more on rewards.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 1x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then to variable)
Intro balance transfer
for the first 12 months (then 15.45% variable)
Steven Dashiell is Senior Writer, Personal Finance at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, NASDAQ, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa is a step up from the ALEC’s other student card, the ALEC Student Select Visa. That’s because ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa offers an additional rewards rate on purchases. Like the ALEC Student Select Visa, it requires no annual fee and comes with a 0%intro APR offer on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, though the revert rate starts at 15.45% variable. The card earns 1 point per dollar spent on all purchases, and you can redeem these points on cash back, travel, merchandise or gift cards.
Aside from the addition of rewards, the ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa is otherwise identical to the ALEC Student Select Visa. You’ll get the same additional benefits, such as travel accident insurance and baggage delay insurance.
Between the two ALEC student cards, the ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa is the one to shoot for. However, student cards from major providers are much stronger these days, so this card is only ideal for ALEC credit union loyalists.
How to apply for the ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa
You can apply for the ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa by doing the following.
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Mouse over Products and services at the top of the page and select Visa credit cards from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to the Student Visa and select Apply now.
- Fill in the requested information and select submit when finished.
ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa benefits
- Intro APR. This card comes with a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, reverting to 15.45% variable after. This is a lower-than-average ongoing APR, which usually rests around 16%, though the ALEC Student Select Visa offers a lower possible ongoing APR.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
- Card perks. This card offers several perks, including auto rental collision damage coverage, travel accident and baggage delay insurance, and 24-hour support.
ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa drawbacks
- Balance transfer fee. While the card comes with an intro APR on balance transfers, it still carries a 2% balance transfer fee.
- Capped cash back. The maximum cash back you can earn on this card each year is $250. This sort of cash back cap isn’t common on a flat-rate rewards card.
Compare student credit cards
Explore your options by minimum deposit required, purchase APR, annual fee or minimum credit score. Select the Apply now button to start your application for a particular card.
ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa customer reviews and complaints
We couldn’t find any reputable customer reviews for the ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa card as of September 2021. With that said, the ALEC credit union receives an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and is accredited with the organization as of October 2021.
While it’s stronger than the ALEC Student Select Visa, the ALEC Student Select Rewards Visa still lags behind student cards from some major providers on the market. Though not a bad choice if you prefer sticking with ALEC, we recommend you compare student cards to see how the ALEC card stacks up to the more popular student cards available.