Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare the best air fryers
Enjoy the taste of fried food without crashing your diet.
Air fryers can be used to cook a wide variety of foods with little effort. Air fryers aren’t technically fryers; but they do cook, bake and roast many foods with much less oil than a deep fryer.
Being small enough to fit on your kitchen countertop, it can easily become one of your most-used appliances.
Top air fryers
|Food capacity (quarts)||Wattage output||Dishwasher safe||Dimensions (in)||Purchase|
|Philips TurboStar Technology||$299||2.75||2,225||Yes||14.4 x 10.5 x 11.3||Shop now|
|COSORI Air Fryer||$120||5.8||1700||Yes||11.77 x 11.85 x 12.63||Shop now|
|OMORC Air Fryer XL||$90||6||1800||Yes||16.5 x 13.5 x 15||Shop now|
|Ninja Foodi 1400-Watt Multi Cooker||$250||6.5||1400||Yes||14.2 x 16.8 x 13.1||Shop now|
|Cuisinart Compact AirFryer||$80||8.97||1500||No||11.25 x 12.5 x 16||Shop now|
|Philips HD9220/29||$130||2.75||1425||Yes||13.78 x 13.78 x 14.88||Shop now|
|GoWise USA||$65||3.7||1400||Yes||12 x 8 x 8||Shop now|
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is essentially a convection oven that uses a fan and heating element to circulate hot air and cook food. They’re designed to cook foods that aren’t usually fried, and do so with very little oil compared to a deep fryer. This is why they’re often marketed as a healthier alternative to making fried foods.
Pros and cons
If you’re trying to decide whether an air fryer would be useful, consider the following:
- Uses less oil than a deep fryer. Air fryers are advertised as a healthier alternative to deep fryers. They can use up to 80% less oil than other methods of frying, and generally crisp your food rather than actually frying it.
- Ease of use. Air fryers are typically easy to use and quick to set up. You won’t have to pay much attention to the food while it’s cooking except to rotate the contents once or twice.
- Quick heating. Many foods cook quicker in an air fryer because the heat is contained in a small area and it only takes a few minutes to heat up.
- More energy efficient than an oven. Air fryers use less energy than an oven.
- Limited capacity. Air fryers aren’t large enough to cook a full meal for a whole family. Also, the more food you put in the fryer, the more you’ll have to toss the food to ensure it cooks evenly. If the fryer is overfilled, some of your food might end up burnt, undercooked or soggy.
- Cost. The price of an air fryer typically ranges from $120 to $550. If you aren’t going to use your air fryer regularly, it probably won’t be worth the high price tag.
- Bulky. While air fryers are portable, they take up valuable counter and cabinet space. If you already have an oven, and don’t have much extra space in your kitchen, think about whether you really need an air fryer.
What can you cook in an air fryer?
Foods that can be cooked in an air fryer include:
- Frozen chips
- Mini pizzas
- Frozen fish sticks and nuggets
- Frozen vegetables
- Roasted nuts
- Banana bread
What shouldn’t you put in an air fryer?
Air fryers can cook a lot of different kinds of food, but they don’t do everything. They’re not efficient at cooking large quantities of food, or multiple types of food at the same time.
Most air fryers won’t cook the following foods:
- Wet batter-coated foods
- Steamed vegetables
How to find the best air fryer
The best air fryer for you depends on your budget and what you plan to cook with your fryer. Considering these four main qualities may help you find your ideal air fryer:
- Reviews. The best way to determine the quality of an air fryer is to read user reviews. Look out for any mentions of quality issues and malfunctions.
- Capacity. The larger the air fryer, the more food you’ll be able to cook at one time. However, larger models will also take up more space in your kitchen.
- Baskets, drawers and accessories. Baskets and drawers are the containers that hold food inside of an air fryer. Some air fryers have either a basket or drawer, while others have both. Make sure the air fryer you choose comes with the accessories you need to cook up your favorite food.
- Cleanability. Look for an air fryer that’s easy to clean and allows you to remove the internal storage basket or drawer. Remember to clean your fryer regularly to avoid oil build up.
Where to buy an air fryer
You can find air fryers at a wide range of online and in-store retailers. Many big retailers and department stores offer frequent sales and discounts.
Remember to read reviews, especially if you are unfamiliar with the brand, and check out the store’s return policy.
The following sites sell air fryers and other appliances:
If you love the taste of fried foods, but don’t love the health problems they can cause, investing in an air fryer could be worth cost. Compare options within your budget to find the best mix of quality and value.
How did we choose these products?
To choose our list of the best air fryers, we looked at overall features, size and price, as well as considered third-party product reviews.
Frequently asked questions
Are air fryers healthy?
Air fryers are generally considered healthier than traditional frying methods, but it really depends on what you’re cooking in the air fryer.
Even if you’re using less oil than you would with a deep fryer, making chicken nuggets every day in your air fryer probably won’t earn a thumbs up from your doctor.
Do air fryers cause cancer?
No, there’s currently no evidence to suggest that air fryers cause cancer. In fact, cooking food in an air fryer is generally considered much better for your health than traditional frying methods.
How long does it take to air fry french fries?
Usually around 20 minutes, depending on the size of the fries and how many you put in at once.
More guides on Finder
Teeth whitening guide + top picks
Learn about the main types of teeth whitening procedures, including how to find the right one for your needs.
9 best slip dresses of the season
Find the perfect slip dress for your style and budget, whether you’re looking for something casual or a formal look to dress up.
13 of the best shoes for nurses
Shop some of the best nursing shoes to help you stay on your feet in comfort and style. We share our picks and tips and advice from nurses.
Compare capsule coffee machines
We’ll help you choose the right capsule coffee machine for your home or office. Compare specs and features for popular capsule coffee machines.
Top 6 colognes handpicked by our team
Whether you’re looking for a gift or a new signature scent, check out these top men’s colognes our team swears by. Plus, learn where to get free samples.
Best overwater bungalows in Mexico
2 overwater bungalows in Mexico with private infinity pools and glass floors + more nearby.
Compare drones: Your guide to choosing the right model
Interested in racing, recreational flying or aerial photography? This guide helps you compare and choose the perfect drone for you.
17 best shoes for teens
From furry boots to super cool combats, cheetah flats and all-the-rage sneakers, we’ve rounded up the best shoes for the teen in your life.
8 ways to spoil your pet for National Love Your Pet Day
Spoil your pet with these creative gift ideas, including a cozy set of pajamas, a fun art project and some hilarious socks. Save with top deals.
Singles Awareness Day self-care ideas
From yoga classes to a bestselling journal, here are some of the top gift ideas to give yourself for Anti-Valentine’s Day.
Ask an Expert