Aflac life insurance review 2020
One of the largest insurance companies in the industry with guaranteed issue policy options.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if… You want to buy juvenile coverage.
- Choose a different provider if… You want more than $500,000 in coverage.
18 to 70
$50,000 to $500,000
Medical Exam Required
|Policy options||Term, Whole, Juvenile|
|Term lengths||10, 20, 30 years|
|Monthly cost||Not listed|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Customer support||Online form Email: Fill out the form on its Contact Us page. Phone: 1-800-992-3522 In New York? Dial 800-366-3436. Mail: Aflac Worldwide Headquarters, 1932 Wynnton Road, Columbus, GA 31999.|
|Riders||Accelerated death benefit rider, Accidental death benefit rider, Spouse rider, Waiver-of-premium rider|
Amy Stoltenberg writes about lifestyle and money for Finder, researching the best options for shopping, banking, insurance and authentic travel experiences. After studying writing and fashion at Savannah College of Art and Design, she worked designing apparel at a corporate behemoth before opting for a career with unlimited travel time. When her laptop’s closed, she can be found wandering the streets looking for happy hour and hole-in-the-wall eateries.
Backed by financial strength, Aflac is a solid choice for life insurance. You might even qualify for a guaranteed issue policy that allows you to skip the medical questionnaire, depending on where you live and how much coverage you choose.
However, the coverage is limited to $500,000 and you won’t be able to get a sample quote online. If you have complex life insurance needs, this may leave your family underinsured.
What type of life insurance does Aflac offer?
Types of life insurance you can purchase from Aflac include:
- Term. The policy is set in place for a specific amount of time and premiums tend to be cheaper.
- Whole. Lasts for the rest of your life and rates are locked in.
- Juvenile. Guarantees your child’s insurability as an adult, regardless of future medical circumstances. Can be purchased as term or whole.
Keep in mind that product details vary widely if you live in the state of New York.
What riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
A rider is a provision that you can add to a policy that adds an extra benefit, though usually circumstantial. Keep in mind that they can increase your premium as well. Aflac offers the following riders as optional add-ons:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. This rider pays out a portion of your death benefit if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- Accidental death benefit rider. The beneficiary receives an additional benefit if the policy owner dies from something accidental, such as a car crash.
- Spouse or child rider. Get additional coverage for your spouse or children. Your spouse is eligible for a death benefit of up to 50% of your death benefit, and your child can get coverage up to $10,000 with a term rider.
- Waiver-of-premium rider. Waives the entire premium amount if the policyholder is totally disabled due to an injury or disease for four consecutive months and throughout the duration of the disability. It also waives benefits due to loss of sight or limbs.
How much does Aflac cost?
Aflac’s life insurance cost depends on how much coverage you want to buy. The amount you need depends on several different factors, including:
- Annual income
- Age you want to retire
- Amount you want to save for college funds
- Retirement fund
- Level of life insurance
- Expected end-of-life costs
Request a quote to learn how much a policy would cost based on your particular situation.
Pros and cons of Aflac
- Financially stable. Agencies like S&P and Fitch rate an insurer’s ability to meet its obligations to policyholders. They gave Aflac an A+ rating, signaling its ability to pay your benefit.
- Fortune 500 company. It’s prosperous, with a reputation for strong market value.
- Guaranteed issue option. In some states, and with some products, there’s the option to skip underwriting questions to get guaranteed-issue insurance up to a certain amount of coverage.
- $500,000 benefit maximum. If you want or need more than that, you’ll need to find a different provider.
- No online quotes. In order to find out how much you may pay for a life insurance policy, you’ll have to speak with an Aflac representative.
Compare alternatives to Aflac life insurance
Aflac reviews and complaints
Aflac isn’t rated by the BBB or Trustpilot. Overall, its reputation with consumers appears to be positive, and it’s known for paying out customers quickly. While there are case-specific complaints regarding its health insurance coverage, it has a solid industry reputation when it comes to life insurance.
How do I sign up?
If the company you work for offers Aflac coverage, you can add it through your workplace. But if you want to buy it independently — or you own a business and want to offer it to employees — you’ll need to start by requesting a quote:
- Go to Aflac’s website and hit Get a Quote.
- Indicate whether you’re An Individual or A Business Owner.
- Aflac will ask for your contact information, including your name, phone number, ZIP code and email. Then click NEXT.
- The next page, Call Time, will give you an estimate for when an agent will be in touch. Click SUBMIT to give them the green light.
I’ve signed up. What happens next?
After you submit your contact information, an Aflac agent will be in touch regarding next steps. For whole or term insurance, if you’ve purchased coverage through your employer, you’ll be directed to your employer to ask about what’s available. If you purchased coverage independently or are looking for juvenile insurance, an agent can walk you through your options.
How do I file a claim?
Follow these steps to file your life insurance claim:
- Find the appropriate claim forms on the File a claim page from Aflac’s home page
- Download the forms
- Fill them out
- Send forms in to: PO Box 60676, Worcester, MA 01606
More about Aflac
Aflac was founded in 1955 by three brothers in Columbus, Georgia. It’s probably best known for its supplemental health insurance, offering policies that people can pick and choose from to round out their regular coverage. It’s got almost universal brand recognition due to its famous duck mascot, and today is one of the largest providers of stand-alone and supplemental insurance with more than 50 million policyholders.
Frequently asked questions about Aflac
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.