Aflac disability insurance review 2020
This company offers short-term disability policies through the workplace — so ask your employer if you’re eligible.
- Consider Aflac if…Your employer partners with the company, and you only need coverage for up to two years.
- Look elsewhere if…Your workplace doesn’t participate, or you’re interested in long-term disability insurance.
18 to 70
$50,000 to $500,000
Katia Iervasi is a writer from Sydney, Australia. Her writing — and curiosity — has taken her around the world, and she now calls New York home. With a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Like most insurers, Aflac’s disability coverage is capped at 24 months (or two years). While the company has good financials and a reputation for customer service, it only sells supplemental insurance — so its policy isn’t as customizable as its competitors.
If you want to take out an individual policy, compare disability insurance providers.
Built-in benefits and policy riders available
- Guaranteed renewable. As long as you pay your premiums, you can renew your policy up to age 75.
- Waiver of premium. If you lose your sight, hearing, speech, hands or feet, Aflac will waive your premiums for the benefit period. Note: This feature doesn’t apply to policies with a three-month total benefit period.
- Aflac value rider. To reward loyalty, this pays $1,000 every five years while the policy is in force (up to a maximum of five times), minus any disability claims paid.
- Disability benefit for on-the-job injury rider. Pays benefits if your disability is caused by a covered on-the-job injury.
- Additional units of disability benefit rider. Allows you to buy more coverage for your short-term disability policy.
Aflac disability insurance reviews and complaints
Aflac is accredited with the Better Business Bureau, and boasts an A+ rating for its customer interaction. The BBB has recorded 252 complaints in the last three years, though most of them focused on Aflac’s other product lines.
Customers gave the company 1 out of 5 stars, but again, their reviews reflected Aflac as a whole.
When you’re comparing insurers, look at their financial strength to make sure they can afford to pay out potential claims. These ratings are important because you might not file a disability claim for many years. Aflac has strong financial ratings across the board, which means it has the cash reserves to pay out claims.
|AM Best||A+ (Superior)|
|Standard & Poor’s||A+ (Strong)|
|Fitch||AA- (Very strong)|
Compare alternatives to Aflac
How do I sign up for Aflac’s disability insurance?
Since Aflac’s short-term disability policies are only available via the workplace, ask your employer to talk you through your options.
If you want more information in the meantime, you can call 855-782-5850, or fill out the form on the Contact Us page with your name, phone number, email, ZIP code, and the best time to contact you. An Aflac agent will then get in touch.
More about Aflac
Founded in 1955, Aflac leads the voluntary insurance market in the US. Along with disability policies, it sells supplemental life, accident, cancer, critical illness, hospital, dental and vision insurance.
The Fortune 500 company is also committed to the childhood cancer cause. It opened the Aflac Cancer Center in the 90s, and has since raised more than $130 million to support children with cancer and invest in research and treatment.