Comprehensive payroll and HR management software for businesses of all sizes.
Automatic Data Processing (ADP) offers a suite of tools to help you manage everything involved in payroll processing and human resources. But it doesn’t publish prices online, so you’ll have to get a custom quote to compare costs.
- Choose this software if you’re looking for integrated payroll and HR solutions.
- Consider something else if you’re hoping for a quick and easy signup process, or only need the bare minimum when it comes to running payroll.
ADP can help small, medium and large businesses automate their payroll processes. So instead of manually tracking your employees’ time and calculating each paycheck, ADP collects this information digitally, allowing you to run payroll in minutes. It also offers resources for companies in need of HR assistance, including a portal for employee login and solutions for hiring, training and managing employees.
Signing up with ADP isn’t as simple as selecting a membership tier. Instead, you’ll work with a sales rep to create a customized bundle of products based on your company’s needs. The best way to get a sense of how ADP can help your business is by browsing through its features.
Here’s a list of ADP’s products — available to small, midsize and enterprise businesses:
Good to know: HCM stands for human capital management and refers to the processes involved in recruiting, training, compensating and utilizing your employees.
- RUN Powered by ADP. This is its payroll software and includes direct deposit, new-hire reporting, employee access, tax filing, W-2s and 1099s — basically, anything involved in running payroll.
- ADP Comprehensive Services. Outsource some or all of your company’s HR tasks, including work-life employee assistance programs, third-party app integrations, online learning resources and more.
- ADP TotalSource. An IRS-certified professional employer organization that offers a co-employment relationship to manage your employees daily, while ADP takes care of benefits administration and HR management.
- ADP Workforce Now. An all-in-one, cloud-based platform that provides management software for your business’s functions, from HR to workforce management to payroll. It’s ideal for midsized companies with between 50 to 999 employees, and large businesses with more than 1,000 employees
- ADP SmartCompliance. Helps you manage compliance requirements related to HCM, including employment tax laws, new wage garnishment orders, healthcare compliance and tax credits.
- ADP Vantage HCM. A customizable platform for HCM that’s intended for large, US-based multinational companies. Through Vantage HCM you can manage talent, payroll, time, benefits and more.
- Wisely by ADP. Pay your employees by loading their compensation onto a Wisely debit card. Reload the same card remotely without reissuing a new one.
- ADP Global Payroll. Its international payroll tool can help you navigate compliance and regulations when you’re tasked with paying international employees.
- ADP DataCloud. This data tool lets you compare your company’s workforce to market averages based on ADP’s database of over 30 million employees nationwide. It also lets you analyze and understand key data within your business, including overtime, turnover, compensation and more.
A closer look: RUN Powered by ADP
If you’re specifically in the market for a payroll solution from ADP, you’ll have four tiers to choose from depending on your business’s needs.
|Essential Payroll||Enhanced Payroll||Complete Payroll and HR Plus||HR Pro Payroll and HR|
|All features of Essential, plus:||All features of Enhanced, plus:||All features of Complete Payroll and HR, plus:|
Does ADP offer a free trial?
No, ADP doesn’t offer a free trial. However, it frequently offers promotions for companies that sign up. For example, as of April 2020 it’s offering three free months of its business payroll software for companies with 1 to 99 employees that sign up by June 30, 2020.
ADP pricing and fees
ADP doesn’t have any prices or fees published online. You can get a quote by calling its sales team at 844-552-0847 or by requesting an estimate through its website. If you’d rather not talk to someone over the phone, you can indicate that you prefer to be contacted via email.
How do I sign up for ADP?
To sign up for ADP, you’ll start by requesting a quote.
- Click Free Quote.
- Indicate whether or not you’re currently an ADP client and click Next.
- Enter your ZIP code, number of employees, company and email. Click Next.
- Enter your name and phone number, then select your company and click Get Started.
ADP contacts you via phone or email to provide a quote. If you’re interested in moving forward, its sales rep will walk you through the sign-up process.
Pros and cons
ADP’s product assortment is comprehensive when it comes to HR and payroll management. That said, it may not be the choice for a small business owner that values straightforward pricing and the ability to sign up online.
Weigh the pros and cons before committing, including:
- Wide variety of products and services
- Capable of scaling with your company as it grows
- Tax filing and direct deposits are included in its most basic payroll tier
- Highly rated mobile app
- Options may be overwhelming for small businesses
- You have to sign up through a sales rep
- Difficult to compare value since prices aren’t listed online
ADP reviews and complaints
ADP has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2017, and holds an A+ rating with the agency. Still, 86 customer reviews average out to just 1 out of 5 stars as of October 2020. Overall, customer reviews indicate frustration over payroll errors and difficulty contacting customer service. A large portion of the complaints are about the Wisely cards, with employees reporting delays in receiving their compensation.
On Trustpilot, ADP has a 4.1-star out of 5 “Great” rating, compiled from 1,414 reviews. While some people complain about difficulty getting in touch with customer service and trouble logging into the app, ADP’s customer service team has replied to most complaints.
How do I contact ADP support?
Call 844-227-5237 to get in touch with ADP’s customer service team.
The best way to get in touch with ADP support is by calling 844-227-5237.
Compare payroll services
ADP’s payroll software and suite of other HCM products can be an asset to businesses both large and small — though some may find its lack of upfront price transparency frustrating. If you’d rather use a payroll software that lets you sign up on your own, or just want to see what else is out there, compare other business software solutions.