Acuity car insurance review
Standard coverage and quality service from this experienced company.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you value quality customer service.
- Pick something else if Acuity doesn’t cover your state.
- Drivers of all kinds can apply.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Quick response
- Customer satisfaction
- Experienced provider
- Coverage extras
- Independent agents
- Standard coverage
- Only available in 23 states
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
Acuity aims high with its customer service, providing quick phone responses, 24/7 claims and local agents. While coverage options stick to the standard, the company includes helpful bonuses within its add-ons.
But if you’re shopping for wider coverage or the best rates, you might look elsewhere. Several standard discounts aren’t listed as being available online, and drivers who need specialized coverage might not be able to find a classic car or nonowner policy, for example.
How to apply for Acuity car insurance
Start an Acuity policy by following a few simple steps:
- Start an online quote from the auto insurance homepage. Click Get a quote.
- Select the type of policy you need and your state. Click Get started.
- Fill out your personal information, policy start date, driver and vehicle details.
- Find your coverage needs and receive a quote.
- Finalize your new policy with payment information.
What info do I need to apply?
Make applying for insurance a breeze with several pieces of information:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Driving record
- Coverage needs
- Choice of payment
What discounts can I get with Acuity?
The company lists several discounts, including rewards for modern safety technology. You may find more discounts when getting a quote.
- Accident prevention course. Take an eligible course for safety reminders and financial reward at the same time.
- Bundled coverage. Save up to 20% when you bundle auto, home and umbrella insurance.
- Good student. Encourage student drivers to keep up the good grades.
- Incident free. Find savings for staying safe on the roads.
- Safety features. Get rewarded for your car’s modern safety features, such as ABS brakes, adaptive headlights and rear cameras.
- Multicar. Insure more than one car with Acuity for a discount.
What car insurance coverage does Acuity offer?
Acuity offers the standard coverage you’d expect when building out your auto policy, including:
- Property damage liability. Make sure you’re ready for accidental car or property damage expenses that were your fault.
- Bodily injury liability. Help every driver and passenger get the medical attention they need after an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Know you’re covered for your car and medical bills, no matter what policy another driver has.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Protect you and your passengers with coverage for medical bills, lost income and funeral expenses depending on state requirements. Also covers injuries if hit as a pedestrian.
- Collision. Pay for damage to your vehicle, no matter who caused the accident.
- Comprehensive. Cover accidents not involving collisions, like weather damage, theft or animal encounters.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Acuity offer?
The company offers several helpful options that are similar to competitors. However, it stands out with free bonus features.
- Vehicle replacement. Get the full cost of your car recovered if it’s deemed a total loss, not including depreciation. Older cars get reimbursed at 25% more than its cash value. However, fire and theft are excluded.
- Loan or lease gap. Repay your loan or lease, even if you owe more than the car is worth after a total loss accident.
- Full safety glass. Forgo the comprehensive coverage deductible if your windshield needs to be repaired or replaced.
- High medpay limit. Automatically receive a higher limit for medical expenses if those injured were wearing seatbelts.
- Roadside assistance. Find 24/7 help when you need it most for battery jumpstarts, flat tire changes, fuel delivery or towing reimbursement.
- Auto insurance packages. Bundle coverage for your car, home and personal belongings and get home and personal belongings replacement cost. Also, receive a single deductible and single limit that applies to any property item. Replacement cost allows home replacement above your policy limits and brand new items to replace damaged belongings.
- Personal auto enhancements. Get a host of extras, such as replacement locks after key theft, personal property coverage, trip interruption, replacement of accidental airbag discharge and disability or death benefits.
- Umbrella. Raise the limits of your policy so you’re covered no matter what.
- App. Access your account, make payments, file a claim or find a local agent or repair shop from the company’s app.
Alternatives to Acuity
Pros and cons of Acuity car insurance
- Quick response. The company claims to answer most phone calls in 15 seconds or less. So you shouldn’t have to wait for answers.
- Customer satisfaction. Customer reviews rate Acuity highly for its quick, friendly customer service and claims.
- Experienced provider. Acuity has been in business for 94 years and backs up claims with millions in net worth.
- Coverage extras. The company throws in extras with add-ons that might catch you by pleasant surprise.
- Independent agents. Enjoy doing business locally or face to face? Find an agent near you.
- Standard coverage. Acuity doesn’t offer the longest list of coverage we’ve seen. However, some add-ons come with extras not offered by other companies.
- Only available in 23 states. While the company serves 23 states, there’s a chance you won’t find coverage in yours.
How to make a claim with Acuity
Report accident details to Acuity either online or by phone, email or mobile app 24/7.
- Online. Fill in details on the online form at your convenience.
- Phone. Talk with a claims representative at 800-242-7666 any time of day.
- Email. Prefer messages directly to your inbox? Use the company’s contact form and leave your email address.
- App. Report a claim through the app right away to give as many clear details as possible.
Frequently asked questions about Acuity car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.