Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to activate a Visa credit card
This merchant processor offers a similar process across all its providers.
When your new Visa card arrives in the mail, your first step is to activate it. With most Visa providers, you can activate your card in three ways — by phone, online or through the mobile app. But not all cards displaying the Visa logo allow for app activation.
How to activate your Visa card online
Online is your fastest option, even accounting for the step of creating an online account. Enroll with your Social Security number and date of birth, and then follow four steps:
- Log in to your online account.
- Look for your new credit card under Accounts.
- Enter your card number, expiration date and CVV/CVC.
- Enter your date of birth and Social Security number, if required by your provider.
How to activate your Visa card by phone
Activate your card with a phone call in three steps:
- Call the number on the back of your card or the number in the sticker on your card.
- Request to activate your card.
- Provide your card’s information and personal identifying details.
How to activate your Visa card with a mobile app
Most card providers let you activate your card with the provider’s mobile app in three steps:
- Download the app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Log in with your online account information.
- Look for your card under Accounts.
Compare Visa credit cards
You can begin using your newly activated Visa card immediately. After you’ve integrated it into your spending and budget, you may want a higher credit limit or perks that your current Visa card lacks.
For example, your current card may earn flat rewards on all purchases, but you may get more out of the best cards for gas, groceries or any other category where you spend most. Compare other options to wee what your next card could look like.
All Visa credit cards have the same activation procedure as any other credit card — online or by phone, with many providers extending the convenience of easy activation through a mobile app.
Now that your Visa card is active and ready to use, consider adding one of the best second credit cards to your wallet for additional perks, the chance to earn a signup bonus and or increase your credit limit.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert