Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
3 ways to activate a Visa credit card
This merchant processor offers a similar process across all its providers.
Updated . What changed?
With most Visa providers, you can activate your card in three ways — by phone, online or through the mobile app. But not all cards displaying the Visa logo allow for app activation. Here’s how to activate your Visa using each method.
How to activate your Visa card online
Online is your fastest option, even accounting for the step of creating an online account, and should take you just a few minutes. Enroll with your Social Security number and date of birth, and then follow four steps:
- Log in to your online account.
- Look for your new credit card under Accounts.
- Enter your card number, expiration date and CVV/CVC.
- Enter your date of birth and Social Security number, if required by your provider.
How to activate your Visa card by phone
Activate your card with a phone call in three steps:
- Call the number on the back of your card or the number in the sticker on your card.
- Request to activate your card.
- Provide your card’s information and personal identifying details.
How to activate your Visa card with a mobile app
Most card providers let you activate your card with the provider’s mobile app in three steps:
- Download the app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Log in with your online account information.
- Look for your card under Accounts.
Once you’ve activated, you can double-check your status by signing in to your provider account or mobile app. After you’re confirmed, you can start using your Visa card immediately. There are a few great ways to start using your credit card depending on the card you activated:
- Check out your perks. Many Visa cards come with built-in Visa perks and features. Some of these can offer convenience, such as a concierge service, while others can keep you protected during travel.
- Earn rewards. If you picked up a Visa rewards credit card, you can start spending on categories that will offer a big return for your wallet.
- Redeem rewards. Once you’ve built up your reward points or miles, you can redeem them for big value. Our full redemption guide can help you earn the most bang for your buck.
All Visa credit cards have the same activation procedure as any other credit card — online or by phone, with many providers extending the convenience of easy activation through a mobile app.
Now that your Visa card is active and ready to use, consider adding one of the best second credit cards to your wallet for additional perks, the chance to earn a signup bonus and or increase your credit limit.
More guides on Finder
BP Visa Credit Card review
Get up to 10 cents off on your BP and Amoco station gas purchases.
If you’re looking for a broker comparable to Vanguard, check out these five contenders.
Texas disaster assistance for the 2021 Winter Storm
Here’s where to get financial help for yourself and your business if you’ve been affected by the storm in February 2021.
FloatMe pay advance app review March 2021
Small cash advances perfect for avoiding steep overdraft fees.
Help your child learn to spend and save wisely with a virtual, COPPA-compliant debit card.
Interactive Brokers alternatives
If you’re looking for a trading platform similar to Interactive Brokers, consider these five options.
How to deal with debt when you have bad credit
Credit counseling, debt relief programs and more options to consider.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Best balance transfer credit cards of 2021
Here are our top balance transfer picks for 2021.
Best business credit cards for 2021
Here are our top picks for 2021.
Ask an Expert