Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to activate a Discover credit card
Put your card to immediate spending with three fast options.
After you’ve ripped open the envelope of your new Discover card, you must activate it before you can start using it. Discover offers three ways to activate your card in minutes — by phone, online or through the Discover mobile app.
How to activate your Discover card online
Unlike many issuers, Discover credit cards allow you to activate your card without enrolling in online banking:
- Visit https://card.discover.com/cardmembersvcs/acctxfer/app/Home.
- Log in if you have an account, or continue the process without logging in.
- Complete the form with the last four digits of your Social Security number, your date of birth and your card information.
How to activate your Discover card by phone
Pick up the phone for fast activation in two steps:
- Call 800-347-2683.
- Follow the prompts and provide the required information, including your card number, expiry date and Social Security number.
How to activate your Discover card with a mobile app
Get to spending with fast activation through the Discover mobile app:
- Download Discover Mobile for iOS or Android.
- Locate your new card under your accounts.
- Provide the requested information.
Compare Discover credit cards
After you’ve activated your card and integrated it into your spending, you may want a higher credit line or perks that your current card is missing.
Pairing cards is an excellent way to maximize credit card rewards and your ideal second card can be another Discover card or even a card from a different issuer.
Look into additional brands and providers to learn the perks you can get with a new credit card.
You have three ways to activate your Discover credit card — by phone, online or through the Discover mobile app. If you decide to pick up a second card down the line, remember that activating a credit card will prove similar across issuers. Take a look at all of your card options to find a great complement to your Discover card’s strengths.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert