Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to activate a Citi credit card
There are three ways you can activate your card.
Updated . What changed?
As soon as your Citi credit card arrives, you can activate it either by phone, online or through your Citi mobile app. All three options are straightforward and only take a few minutes.
How to activate your Citi card online
You can easily activate your Citi credit card online. All you need to do is:
- Visit online.citi.com/US/ag/activate/index
- Provide the required information, such as your card account number and Social Security number
How to activate your Citi card by phone
If you prefer activating by phone, here’s what to do:
- Call the number on the back of the card
- Follow the prompts
- You may need to provide your personal information and your card number
How to activate your Citi card with a mobile app
You can also activate your card via the free Citi Mobile app. Here’s how:
- Download the Citi Mobile app for iOS or Android
- Open the app and tap Register or Activate a card
- Tap Credit card
- Take a photo of your card
- Confirm the information and verify your ID — you may also need to answer security questions
Now that your Citi card is activated, it’s time to start using it. Here are your next steps once you’ve activated your card:
- Log in to your Citi account. You can confirm your card’s activation by logging into your Citi account, or creating one if you haven’t. This is also where you can review your card’s rates and fees, as well as its perks and features. These features can offer a lot of value, so it pays to keep them in mind.
- Start earning rewards. Citi offers a wide variety of rewards cards and several Citi rewards programs to go with it. Depending on which rewards card you get, you’ll want to start spending in certain areas to pump up your reward earnings.
- Redeem your rewards. Once you’ve earned a good number of points or miles, it’s time to spend them. The Citi ThankYou Rewards program has several different ways to redeem your points. Some more valuable than others, so check out our guide to make the best use of your points. Similarly, the American Airlines AAdvantage program offers several ideal ways to redeem your AAdvantage miles.
Just like the process to activate other credit cards, there are three simple ways to activate your Citi credit cards. You can activate your card by phone, online or with the Citi mobile app. If you’re ready to get a higher credit limit and additional perks, consider adding a secondary credit card to your wallet.
More guides on Finder
If you’re looking for a broker comparable to Vanguard, check out these five contenders.
5 key TD Ameritrade competitors
Thinking of switching from TD Ameritrade? Here are 5 apps like TD Ameritrade that offer valuable benefits.
Acorns alternatives offer lower fees and more investment options. Learn more.
Best business tax software for 2021
Compare the best small business tax software if you’re self-employed, a freelancer, a partner and more.
Get up to 90% off popular brands through ThredUp, a secondhand clothing website. Here’s what you need to know before you start shopping.
You can now pay for car insurance in Bitcoin – here’s how
You can pay for car insurance in Bitcoin, even if your insurer doesn’t accept it yet.
Texas disaster assistance for the 2021 Winter Storm
Here’s where to get financial help for yourself and your business if you’ve been affected by the storm in February 2021.
Petal® 1 "No Annual Fee" Visa® Credit Card vs. Petal® 2 "Cash Back, No Fees" Visa® Credit Card
Two great cards for building your credit score.
Mercari review: How it works, pros, cons and more
Is Mercari the best secondhand app to buy or sell your goods? See Mercari pros and cons, reviews and complaints and general FAQs to decide.
Investing in your 30s: 8 wealth-building tips
Prepare to revamp your asset allocation and explore new investment classes.
Ask an Expert