Finder may earn compensation from partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
How to activate a Bank of America credit card
Before using your card, activate it in one of three ways.
To activate your Bank of America credit card, all you need is online access or a call with a Bank of America customer support representative. No matter which activation option you choose, the process shouldn’t take more than a few minutes and you’ll be able to use your credit card immediately upon activation.
How to activate your Bank of America card online
To use this option, you must be enrolled in online banking. If you’re not, you can enroll using your Social Security number or Tax ID Number, and the last six digits of your card or bank account number. Once you signup, here’s how to activate your card:
- Go to the Bank of America website and log in to your online account
- Verify your identity and credit card
- Your credit card is now activated
How to activate your Bank of America card by phone
If you prefer calling a bank representative to assist you:
- Call 800-276-9939
- Say or enter your full account number
- Follow the prompts
How to activate your Bank of America card with a mobile app
Another option is to use the Bank of America mobile app.
- Download the app for iOS or Android
- Log in with the same information as your online banking account
- Find your new card under accounts and activate it
Getting started with your Bank of America card
Now that you have your new Bank of America credit card active, here’s what you can do to maximize rewards and optimize your credit card:
- Download the mobile app. Using the Bank of America mobile app will simplify your account management. With the app, you can monitor your account, make payments, activate your BankAmeriDeals or contact support.
- Set up digital wallets. Bank of America supports a host of digital wallets, including Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay. Using digital wallets can help you pay inside the store by using your phone or a smartwatch.
- Enroll in online banking. Visit Bank of America website to enroll in online banking. You need to provide your card’s last six digits and your SSN or TIN to enroll. Use your online account to monitor your cards, activate autopay, redeem rewards and more.
- Set up a PIN. Your card should already have a personal identification number (PIN). But in case it doesn’t have one — or if you want to reset your old PIN — visit a Bank of America branch or call 800-432-1000. You need PIN for ATM cash withdrawals and when using the card abroad.
- Set up autopay. You can set up automatic payments either online or through your Bank of America mobile app. First, you must enroll in eBills through the Bill Pay tab.
- Maximize rewards. If you got a rewards credit card, you’ll want to know how to earn and redeem Bank of America rewards for the best value.
Activate your Bank of America credit card online, by phone or by using Bank of America’s mobile app. Consider adding one of the best secondary credit cards to your wallet to increase your credit limit, get additional perks or earn a new signup bonus.
If you have a new credit card from another brand, learn how to activate your card using our guide.
More guides on Finder
Nationwide SmartRide review
Earn a discount on your auto insurance using collected data about your safe driving habits.
Revvi Visa® Card Review
A card with far too many fees to properly serve its purpose.
The IRA Club review
The IRA Club lets you build a retirement portfolio with no preset menu of investments.
A portfolio tracking app that shows your net worth.
Figure Pay prepaid debit card review
The Figure Pay card is free and earns rewards, but it lacks several standard features.
How to buy Ethereum (ETH) with a Credit Card
Credit cards are a popular way for buying Ethereum (ETH). Learn how you can do the same by reading this guide.
How to buy Solana (SOL) in 5 steps
Learn how to buy Solana (SOL) with this step-by-step guide and compare various supported cryptocurrency exchanges.
Best Dogecoin wallets (DOGE)
Looking for the best Dogecoin wallet? Here are the five best options for storing your Doge
First Commonwealth Bank Hometown Checking + Interest + Solutions review
First Commonwealth Bank’s Hometown Checking + Interest + Solutions account has attractive features, but could cost you.
Liberty Mutual RightTrack review
New discounts for telematics can save drivers money on their car insurance.
Ask an Expert