Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to activate an American Express credit card
There are three ways you can activate your card to start spending.
How to activate your American Express card online
American Express cards don’t require you to enroll in an Amex online banking service before activation. To activate:
- Visit americanexpress.com/confirmcard.
- Enter your credit card number and the four-digit ID on the back of the card.
- Enter any requested personal information to verify your ID.
How to activate your American Express card by phone
Activate your card by phone in two steps:
- Call the number on the back of your card or 800-869-3016.
- Provide the required credit card and personal information, including your card and Social Security number.
How to activate your American Express card with a mobile app
Another option is to activate your American Express card using the Amex mobile app.
- Download the Amex mobile app from Google Play or the App Store.
- Tap to register for a new Online services account.
- Scan your card or enter the card’s information manually.
- Verify your identity.
How do I know if my American Express credit card is activated?
Check the status of your Amex card in your online account or in your mobile app.
When can I use my American Express credit card after activation?
You can use your Amex card immediately after you activate it.
Getting started with your American Express credit card
With your American Express credit card now active, you’ll want to know how to optimize your card and earn and redeem rewards for the highest value.
- Download the mobile app. Simplify your account management with the Amex mobile app. Use the app to activate your new card, to monitor your account, make payments, track rewards or to activate Amex Offers.
- Set up digital wallets. Amex supports multiple digital wallets, including Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay and Fitbit Pay. Use digital wallets to safely pay in-store with your phone or smart watch.
- Enroll in online banking. Visit Amex’s website to enroll in online banking. Use your card’s number and four-digit ID to enroll. Use your account to monitor your accounts, activate autopay, redeem rewards and more.
- Set up a PIN. Your card is likely to already have a personal identification number (PIN), but in case you didn’t get one — or you want to reset your old one — use your online account or call 844-460-6656. Follow the instructions to set it up. ATMs require a PIN to make cash withdrawals. Also, if you often travel abroad, you’ll need a PIN because it’s typically required when you make credit card payments.
- Set up autopay. You need an online account to set this one up. Once you log in to your online account, navigate to Payments and then Manage AutoPay.
- Maximize rewards. If you got a rewards credit card, you’ll want to know how the Amex rewards program works and how to maximize your rewards. Check out our guides on how to earn Amex membership points and how to redeem Amex membership points to squeeze the highest value of your Amex rewards.
- Setting up airline fee credit. If you have the The Platinum Card® from American Express or the Hilton Honors™ Aspire Card, you must set up an airline to use the airline fee credit. You can find this option under the Benefits section and choose one of nine options including American Airlines, Delta, United, Southwest and JetBlue.
American Express lets you activate your card online, by phone or with the Amex mobile app. If you’re in a hurry, go for the online activation method or through the app — your quickest option. And if you choose an additional credit card from a different issuer down the road, activating your new credit card should prove a similar process.
More guides on Finder
Zeta Joint Card review
Zeta Joint Cards allow two people to share one account, but there are several drawbacks.
Unifimoney account review
Unifimoney lets you spend, save and invest, but it’s only free for high-income individuals.
Mutual fund expense ratios: How they work and why they matter
These pesky fees can eat into your bottom line: here’s how to identify them.
How to trade options on Robinhood
Trade multiple options strategies with this popular free app for basic and advanced traders — including 6 steps to get started with options.
Honeydue Joint Banking review
This bank account and prepaid card combo gives you and your honey a convenient way to manage finances together.
Ando Spending Account review
Reduce your carbon emissions and enjoy no monthly fees with this ethical checking account.
Oxygen personal bank account
Access your cash from any network ATM and earn cashback on your debit card purchases from approved retailers.
Upgrade Rewards Checking review
The free Upgrade Rewards Checking account offers 2% cashback, but you can’t deposit checks.
CIT eChecking account review
CIT’s eChecking account offers more interest than most physical banks, but it can’t compete online.
Cheese Rewards Checking review
A digital bank built for Asian-Americans. Earns up to 10% cash back and up to 3% APY.
Ask an Expert