Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to activate an American Express credit card
Get spending with your new card in three ways.
Once your American Express arrives in your mail, your next step is to activate it. You can do this online, by phone or through the Amex mobile app. Whichever option you choose, the card activation process shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.
How to activate your American Express card online
American Express cards don’t require you to enroll in an Amex online banking service before activation. To activate:
- Visit americanexpress.com/confirmcard.
- Enter your credit card number and the four-digit ID on the back of the card.
- Enter any requested personal information to verify your ID.
How to activate your American Express card by phone
Activate your card by phone in two steps:
- Call the number on the back of your card or 800-869-3016.
- Provide the required credit card and personal information, including your card and Social Security number.
How to activate your American Express card with a mobile app
Another option is to activate your American Express card using the Amex mobile app.
- Download the Amex mobile app from Google Play or the App Store.
- Tap to register for a new Online services account.
- Scan your card or enter the card’s information manually.
- Verify your identity.
Compare American Express credit cards
With your American Express credit card now active, you can start using it. With responsible spending, a time will come when you need a higher credit limit or additional perks that your card might lack.
For example, if you earn flat rewards on all purchases, consider applying for an Amex rewards card with boosted earnings where you spend most. The cards in the table below are excellent second-card options worth considering.
American Express lets you activate your card online, by phone or with the Amex mobile app. If you’re in a hurry, go for the online activation method or through the app — your quickest option. And if you choose an additional credit card from a different issuer down the road, activating your new credit card should prove a similar process.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert