Access Home Insurance review
Offers coverage to homes other carriers label high-risk with a local perspective for coastal states.
- Get a quote if you’re in Louisiana or South Carolina.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for online quotes or a mobile app.
- High-risk homes and homeowners can find a policy with Access Home Insurance.
- Risky homeowners welcome
- Small yet financially sound company
- Online account management and bill pay
- Limited to Louisiana and South Carolina
- No online quotes or mobile app
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Other discounts||Senior, guarded community and Hip roof|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||No|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Heather Petty is a writer at Finder specializing in banking, investments and insurance. She's a self-proclaimed word nerd who worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. Heather earned a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Access Home Insurance is a great option for homeowners in coastal states like Louisiana and South Carolina who need an insurance provider that understands the area. And while many carriers refuse to insure homes with high-risk pets or features, Access Home Insurance won’t make you remove your diving board from your pool to get home insurance. But if you’re looking for an insurance company with a greater online presence, shop around before you apply to make sure there isn’t a better fit for you.
What coverage does Access Home Insurance offer?
Access Home Insurance offers a basic homeowner’s policy with most of the standard coverages. And on the plus side, the company doesn’t automatically reject homes with high-risk factors or homeowners with lapses in coverage up to 90 days.
- Dwelling. Covers your home’s structure, such as the ceilings, floors, roof, windows, doors and walls.
- Other structures. Protects other structures on your property, like sheds, fences and mailboxes.
- Personal property. Provides compensation for damaged or lost personal property anywhere in the world, if it belongs to your home. High-value belongings aren’t covered and should be scheduled separately as part of a rider on your policy.
- Personal liability. If your negligence causes an injury to a guest or damages their property, this will provide compensation for them.
High-risk features. Access offers coverage for homes with these high-risk features, but liability protection is excluded from coverage on these features:
- Swimming pool slide and diving board
- Unfenced pool, hot tub or other bodies of water
- High-risk dog breeds, saddled animals and exotic pets
What home insurance discounts can I get?
If you fit the following criteria in these categories, you can get a discount on your homeowner’s policy:
- Age and condition of the property. If your home is newer and in good condition, you may qualify for a discount.
- Financial standing. If you have a good insurance credit score, you could save.
- Senior discount. As a senior or retiree, you may get a discount on your premium.
- Safety and antitheft device discount. If you have fire and burglar alarms in your home, you might qualify for this discount.
- Secure building and guarded community. The safety features of your building or neighborhood can earn you additional savings.
- Hip roof. Because all sides of a hip roof slide downward, it’s more storm resistant, and may qualify for a discount.
Pros and cons of Access Home Insurance
- Coverage for homes with high-risk features. If you have one or more of the items considered high-risk by other carriers, Access offers you a way to insure your home without having to spend the money to fix the feature or get rid of a beloved family pet.
- Online account features. Although you can’t get a quote online, Access Home Insurance offers online bill pay and a portal to manage your account.
- Financial stability. For a relatively small company, Access Home Insurance has maintained a solid financial base, maintaining a consistent annual surplus. It earned an A rating for financial stability from Demotech, a financial analysis company specializing in the insurance industry.
- Limited locations. Access Home Insurance currently only has agents and policies in Louisiana and South Carolina.
- No online quotes. While Access Home Insurance offers online payments and account management, they don’t provide online policy quotes. You have to contact an agent to get a quote or apply for a policy.
How to apply for Access Home Insurance coverage
You can only apply for an Access Home Insurance homeowner’s policy through one of their agents. Use the following steps to find the agent nearest you:
- From its home page, click the binoculars icon to Find an Agent.
- Enter your ZIP code and the radius you’re willing to travel and click Find Locations.
- Select an agent from the list below or a location marker on the map to view the agent information.
- Click Directions for a map to the agent’s office or click the phone number to send an email.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Access Home Insurance?
Access Home Insurance doesn’t specify what information you’ll need to apply for a policy. However, it’s a good idea to have these specifics about your house ready before you call:
- How many people live in your house full time?
- Is this your primary, seasonal or secondary residence?
- What year was your house built?
- What is the square footage of your house?
- Number of bathrooms?
- Number of stories?
- Do you have any detached structures, such as a shed?
- Do you have any wood stoves or fireplaces?
- What materials were used to build your roof?
- What materials were used to build the exterior walls?