Acceptance car insurance review Jul 2022
High-risk drivers can turn to Acceptance, though coverage will be basic.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you need an SR-22 or are considered a high-risk driver.
- Pick something else if you want more than the state minimum liability limits.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Insurance available for high-risk drivers
- Files SR-22s to your state’s DMV
- Multiple discount options
- Only available in 17 states
- Negative online reviews
- Low policy limits
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
Andrew Flueckiger is a licensed insurance agent and Certified Insurance Counselor with experience in insurance and finance. A graduate of Indiana University, Andrew contributes a wealth of knowledge and experience to Finder. When Andrew isn’t writing, reading or practicing insurance, he can be found spending time with his family and playing the guitar.
Acceptance mainly serves high-risk drivers who have multiple accidents or violations on their record and need an SR-22. It’s worth getting a quote if your driving record prevents you from getting insurance from a standard company and if you live in one of the 17 states it covers. Its quoting process is quick and easy, though it doesn’t have the best reputation for claims and customer service.
Before settling on Acceptance, see what other insurance companies offer insurance for high-risk drivers.
How do I apply for Acceptance car insurance?
Apply for car insurance with Acceptance directly on its website, by phone or in person.
- Enter your zip code on Acceptance’s homepage.
- Fill out your contact information, such as your name, date of birth, address, email and phone number. You’ll also need your driver’s license number on this page.
- Acceptance pulls up any vehicles tied to your name and you can select which ones apply to your quote.
- Enter in any remaining vehicles and drivers.
- Choose the type of coverage you want.
- Pick a billing plan and enter in your payment details.
Call 866-617-8386 to speak with an agent to get a quote over the phone.
Acceptance has multiple agent locations in each of its 17 states. Find an agent near you by entering your ZIP code on the website.
What discounts can I get with Acceptance?
Acceptance offers a large number of discounts that can help lower your premium.
- Continuous prior insurance discount
- Defensive driving discount
- Good student discount
- Low mileage discount
- Monthly autopay discount
- Multipolicy discount
- Multicar discount
- Online application discount
- Pay-in-full discount
- Paperless discount
- Safe driver discount
What insurance coverage does Acceptance offer?
Acceptance offers basic insurance tailored towards high-risk drivers who only want the bare minimum.
- Bodily injury liability. Coverage to pay for injuries to other drivers and passengers ranges from the state minimum up to $300,000.
- Property damage liability. Limits available at the state minimum or up to $50,000 to cover damage to the other driver’s car in an at-fault accident.
- Comprehensive and collision. Acceptance combines these physical damage protection options in your initial quote to cover damage to your own car in a crash plus nearly any other damage to your car.
- Underinsured motorist coverage. Cover yourself if the other driver is either uninsured or doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your injuries or property damage.
What add-ons does Acceptance offer?
Despite offering basic coverage limits, Acceptance offers add-ons for an additional cost to customize your policy.
- Medical payments. This no-fault coverage provides money for injuries to you and anyone in your vehicle if you’re hurt while in the car.
- Roadside assistance. Acceptance provides a roadside assistance number to call if you run into vehicle-related issues while on the road, such as a flat tire, an empty gas tank or tow.
- Rental car reimbursement. If you can’t drive your car after a covered accident or it’s in the repair shop, you’ll get a daily allowance to pay for a rental car.
- Ticket forgiveness. For an extra charge, adding ticket forgiveness to your roadside assistance plan can reimburse you for the most common ticket violations.
Acceptance car insurance reviews and complaints
Acceptance isn’t accredited with the BBB, though it does hold an A+ rating. Its profile is spread out among its various locations, with each state having its own BBB rating.
Trustpilot gives Acceptance a 3.7 star rating out of 5, though the sole review on its website gives it a 5-star review for quick quoting. On Facebook, Acceptance has a 1.6-star rating out of 36 votes, while reviews on Clearsurance give it an average of 3.33 stars.
Alternatives to Acceptance
Pros and cons of Acceptance
- SR-22 support. Not every insurance company offers SR-22 filing support, so if you need this certificate of insurance in your state, Acceptance can handle it.
- Accepts high-risk drivers. If you have too many accidents or violations and are having trouble finding insurance, you should be able to buy a policy with Acceptance.
- Standard add-ons. Though Acceptance doesn’t offer high coverage limits or helpful perks, it offers the basic coverage you need, especially if you’re a high-risk driver.
- Low policy limits. Acceptance doesn’t offer high liability limits when compared to its competitors.
- Limited number of states. Acceptance only offers coverage in 17 states, so you’ll have to look elsewhere if you don’t live in a state that Acceptance covers.
- Large number of complaints. Acceptance doesn’t enjoy the best reputation on sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot, with a majority of complaints surrounding its customer services.
Frequently asked questions about Acceptance car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.