AARP home insurance review
Max out your AARP benefits with discounted home protection from The Hartford.
- Get a quote if you’re an AARP member.
- Pick something else if you want more extensive coverage options.
- Homeowners older than 50 can get quotes.
All 50 states
- AARP member benefits and discounts
- Protects a variety of homes
- Personalized customer service
- Members only, age 50+
- Mixed customer reviews
- No standout coverage
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
What home insurance coverage does The Hartford offer?
The Hartford provides standard protection for homes, including:
- Personal liability
- Medical payments
- Other structures
- Loss of use
- Service lines, like electrical, plumbing and HVAC
- Equipment breakdown
- Personal property
- Valuable items for blanket coverage of jewelry or collectibles
What home insurance discounts can I get with The Hartford?
Find savings for securing your home or by being a loyal AARP member and policyholder. Discounts offered:
- New home
- Security and safety devices, including deadbolts, smoke detectors, theft alarms and fire sprinklers
- Car and home bundling, up to 20% off home and 5% off car insurance
- Retired AARP member credit
- Renewal credit after four years of loyalty
Pros and cons of AARP home insurance from The Hartford
- AARP member benefits and discounts. Combine benefits from financial services, travel and dining discounts for maximum savings.
- Protects a variety of homes. Get coverage for many homes, including secondary or vacation homes, rental properties and homes undergoing renovations.
- Personal touch. Connect with a local agent for personalized customer service.
- Members only. The Hartford only serves AARP members.
- Standard coverage listed. You can find similar home coverage from competitors. And the info on the site is not transparent or easy to find, making it difficult to compare your options.
- Mixed reviews. Reviews on Trustpilot praise The Hartford’s coverage and service. But other reviews on the Better Business Bureau reveal issues with billing and denied claims — a common complaint for home insurers.
How to apply for AARP home insurance
Get an online quote in a few steps, although some homeowners might have to call a representative. To apply:
- Enter your ZIP code from the home insurance page. Click Start quote.
- Fill in basic information about you and your home and tap Continue.
- Answer additional questions about your home and hit Continue.
- Enter details about previous insurance and claims history, choose coverage and finalize your payment.
- In some cases, you may have to call a representative at 800-409-0638 before getting a quote.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance?
Prepare these details before starting your application:
- Date of birth
- Marital status and spouse information
- Phone number
- Home address
- Home safety features
- Estimated replacement cost
- Preferred coverage, deductibles and limits
- Payment information
Alternatives to The Hartford
The Hartford provides standard home coverage through an exclusive partnership with AARP. That means you could enjoy member discounts, unless customer experiences lead you to compare more home insurance companies first.