Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
AAA roadside assistance
Get back on the road quicker with 24/7 assistance.
What does AAA roadside assistance include?
You can’t exactly plan for every unexpected pitfall while you’re on the road. AAA roadside assistance offers around the clock coverage, whether you’re driving your car or someone else’s.
AAA roadside assistance plans cover drivers, not vehicles. So when you purchase coverage, you’re protected in any vehicle, even if you’re just a passenger.
Most plans include coverage for minor mechanical issues and sudden problems with your car, like:
- Battery replacements or jumps
- Tire changes
- Fuel delivery
- Locksmith services
- Winch or pull if your vehicle is stuck
AAA roadside assistance plans are available through regional motor clubs across the country, so coverage and exclusions can vary depending on your location. For example, with Auto Club South, the Premier membership will tow your vehicle up to 200 miles for free. With the Classic membership, you only get free towing for up to five miles.
What other benefits do I get for being a AAA member?
- Trip continuation coverage (reimbursement for out of pocket expenses if your trip is delayed)
- Discounts on travel, airfare, hotels, vacations, car rentals and more
- Maps and travel planning
- Free ID Theft Monitoring
- Exclusive discounts on shopping, dining, entertainment
How much does AAA roadside assistance cost?
The cost of AAA roadside assistance varies depending on your location and which plan you choose, but plans are often available for as little as $1 per week. For example, the Northeast AA Motor Club offers plans for $52, $92 and $129 per year for different membership tiers.
How do I sign up for towing coverage from AAA?
To get roadside assistance coverage from AAA, you’ll need to register as a member through your local AAA motor club.
- Visit the official AAA website.
- Enter your ZIP code to be directed to your local AAA motor club website.
- Locate the Membership area.
- Click Join.
- Select the plan that best suits your needs and click Join now.
- Enter your information, then review and pay.
Can I use AAA if I’m not a member?
No, you need to be a AAA club member to use AAA towing.
However, even if you’re stuck on the side of the road now, you could sign up online and call for a tow right then. But be aware that AAA charges an immediate fee if you request service when you sign up for a new membership or renew an old policy. For example, in Oregon, the instant service fee is $45 for a Classic membership if you call for a tow right after you’ve signed up.
Compare alternatives to AAA roadside assistance
Case study: Dawn’s experience
I had AAA roadside assistance for years and I loved it. The biggest advantage was that it covered me, not my car. So I was able to use it when my friend’s car broke down while we were together and when my sister locked her keys in her boyfriend’s truck at a campground hours away.
I canceled my AAA membership when I switched to an insurer that offered roadside assistance as a policy add-on for cheaper. That insurer won’t cover me in someone else’s car, but my friends and I are older now and have more reliable vehicles, so breakdowns aren’t a regular occurrence. As a teenager and twenty-something who spent a lot of time in cars passed down from parents, AAA got me out of several scrapes that my new policy wouldn’t cover.
How do I request a tow or roadside help from AAA?
There are a few ways you can get in touch with AAA to request roadside assistance.
Call 800-222-4357 to speak with customer service and get a service vehicle dispatched to your location.
- Visit your local AAA motor club website.
- Log in to your account.
- Locate the request assistance button.
- Enter the issue with your vehicle and your location.
Using the app
- Download the AAA mobile app from your AAA website.
- Log in to your account.
- Tap Roadside assistance.
- Add your location or allow the app to locate you.
- Select the problem you’re having.
- Submit your request or tap the call button to speak with an agent.
- Use the service tracker to find out when service will arrive.
What’s not covered?
AAA roadside assistance plans often have a few coverage exclusions depending on your location and membership level:
- Additional towing beyond plan coverage
- Taxis, moving trucks, limos or any vehicle that can’t be towed safely without special equipment
- Vehicles that aren’t safely accessible, including cars stuck in snow or sand
- Unattended vehicles, unless you’ve let AAA know you won’t be in the vehicle
- Towing a vehicle from a repair facility, unless repairs can’t be completed within 72 hours
- Towing to a closed repair facility or vacant area
- Towing related to buying or selling a car
- A second tow for the same vehicle
- Tire service for dual-rear-wheel trucks or vans
- Cost of tolls, repairs, parts and labor
- Taxi service from the site of a breakdown
AAA is one of the oldest and most recognized auto clubs in the country. Drivers can get 24/7 roadside assistance that can help solve almost any minor issue and provide towing for more serious problems.
Frequently asked questions about AAA towing
Ask an Expert