AAA renters insurance review
Pair with auto coverage and other member perks for the best deal.
- Get a quote if you’re bundling renters and auto insurance.
- Pick something else if you don’t plan to use other membership benefits.
- AAA members only.
AL, AZ, CO, DE, HI, ID, KY, MD, MA, MT, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TX, VA, WA, West VA
- Regional service through local agents
- Discounted member rates
- Extra perks like identity theft services included
- Over 100 years in business
- Pay an annual membership fee
- Options and experiences vary by region
- Could provide more specific coverage details
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
AAA’s mainstay is its auto insurance with exceptional roadside assistance, so you’ll get the best rates by bundling renters and auto insurance together. The company also offers a free tier for identity theft protection — coverage you might have to add to other renters policies. However, the rest of its renters coverage sticks to the standard for liability and personal belongings.
If you plan to bundle coverage and dive into all the AAA travel and shopping discounts, it’s worth a renters insurance quote. But if you don’t want to shell out the annual membership fee, compare other renters insurance providers.
What renters insurance coverage does AAA offer?
AAA helps you protect the necessities for apartment or rental home living, including:
- Personal liability, which may include injuries caused by pets
- Additional living expenses
- Personal possessions
- Medical payments to others
- Identity theft
What add-ons can I get with AAA?
Keep yourself and your belongings safe with a few optional types of coverage:
- Lock replacement. Rekey your rental’s exterior door locks if your keys get stolen.
- Scheduled personal property. Repair or replace your valuables — no deductible involved.
- Electronic data restoration. Recover data from a damaged computer or hard drive without sweating the cost.
- Identity theft services. AAA offers several tiers of service for identity protection, but you can access basic services with your membership.
What renters insurance discounts can I get with AAA?
The company offers below-average starting rates for members and a bundling discount to shave your rates even further.
- Renters and auto bundling. Get up to 10% off renters insurance by bundling with your car insurance.
- Exclusive member rate. While rates vary by club, your premium may go as low as $8 a month for basic coverage. That’s one of the cheapest rates you can find.
Pros and cons of AAA renters insurance
- Local service. AAA works out of regional chapters through agents that know the risks and needs in each area.
- Member discount. Get access to the company’s exclusive insurance rates for members only.
- Extra coverage and perks. AAA offers some services like identity theft either included with membership or tiered pricing. Plus, get discounts on travel and shopping, or earn rewards.
- Stable, experienced company. The company backs up insurance products with 100 years of experience and A financial ratings from AM Best.
- Options and experience varies by region. Some coverage differs between each club, and customer experience depends on the local representatives in your local region.
- Involves an annual membership fee. While you get discounted renters rates without paying more elsewhere, AAA membership comes with an annual fee around $76.
- Could call out more specific details online. Most regions don’t provide specific coverage and discount info online, leaving you to ask a representative.
What do customers say?
The few customers who have rated the company’s renters policies with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) tend to give low ratings for poor customer service, billing and policy change issues. However, these ratings come from a few dozen customers in each region. The company holds an A+ rating with the BBB.
The Auto Club Group as a whole lands below average ratings for property claims satisfaction from J.D. Power. The highest regional rating was the Auto Club of Southern California Insurance Group. This group holds outstanding ratings for cost and coverage options, but average ratings for overall satisfaction from the 2019 J.D. Power Renters Insurance study.
How to apply for AAA renters insurance
No matter which option you choose, you may end up talking with a representative. Start the application process by phone, in person or online:
- From the renters webpage, click Get an online quote.
- Enter your ZIP and click Submit.
- Check renters insurance and fill in basic personal information. Click Next.
- Answer basic questions about your rental and other residents. Select bundling discounts that may apply. Click Next.
- Answer questions about your rental’s safety features. Click Next.
- Fill in details about your current home insurer and any recent claims, if applicable. Hit Next.
- Review your policy information, choose a start date and click View quote.
- Choose the right policy package or customize coverage levels. Click Submit.
- You may have to talk with an agent to finalize your policy and payment details.
Phone. Go to the renters insurance webpage to find the phone number for your local club.
Local agent. Use the Find an agent locator to search for an agent’s office near you.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance?
You’ll need some information handy to speed up your application process:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Marital status
- Home address
- Home type and construction materials
- Number of years living at residence
- Other occupants, including spouse, roommates or pets
- Type of heating
- Home safety features
- Distance to fire department and nearest fire hydrant
- Policy start date
- Coverage needed
- Payment details