AAA home insurance review
Protect your nest with coverage for every corner, but coverage depends on local options.
- Get a quote if you’ll benefit from wide options and extra membership benefits.
- Pick something else if your local club has so-so customer service.
- Southern California homeowners may get the best experience.
AL, AZ, CO, DE, HI, ID, KY, MD, MA, MT, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TX, VA, WA, West VA
- High customer ratings
- Guaranteed replacement cost in California
- Member benefits
- Possible claim-free cashback
- Not all states served
- Coverage and discounts vary by location
- Customer experience may vary
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||No|
|Other discounts||Mature Homeowner|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
AAA’s highly praised home policies, wide protection and unique coverage options might deserve a peek as your home insurer. You could get member benefits and even discounts for being claim-free.
However, coverage and discounts vary by state and so will your customer experience.
How does AAA home insurance work?
AAA operates on the local scene, which means that home coverage and offerings might be different based on your local club. For the Auto Club South and Auto Club of Southern California Insurance Group, your policy has two package options, basic or premium coverage.
Find discounts and optional coverage available from your local club, like green upgrades or landscaping coverage. Note that you have to be a AAA member to apply for home insurance, and not every club offers home insurance directly. If AAA can’t offer you a policy directly, they will connect you with a partner insurer, much like a broker.
What home insurance coverage does AAA offer?
AAA offers guaranteed replacement for your home, water heater or air conditioner breakdowns, eco-friendly upgrades and even special home business protection.
Depending on your location, choose coverage that includes:
- Liability. Basic coverage for medical bills and court fees if a visitor gets injured on your property.
- Dwelling. Guard your living space from accidents and weather damage.
- Guaranteed replacement cost. Repair or replace your home, no matter the cost of damage.
- Extended replacement cost. Bolster policy maximums with an extra 25% for home repairs or replacement.
- Replacement cost for personal property. Replace personal items damaged in a covered event, as long as those items are listed on your policy.
- Valuable personal property. Cover valuable belongings like musical instruments, silverware or sports equipment.
- Expanded personal property. Mix in protection for jewelry, watches or expensive furs.
- Service lines. Cover your below-ground plumbing, water or power lines.
- Home systems protection. Protect breakdowns involving your central heating or air and your water heater, a coverage not offered by most providers.
- Water damage. Defend your home from water damage caused by plumbing or sump pump backups.
- Green upgrades. Make your home more eco-friendly and energy-efficient.
- Landscaping and yard. Protect your beloved plants, trees and lawn to keep your home warm and welcoming even after damage.
- Home daycare. Home business coverage that protects you and your customers from property damage and liability.
- Home hosting. Open up your home to vacationers and travelers on Airbnb or other sites with coverage for guests.
- Identity fraud. Recover costs and restore your name if you discover someone falsely used your identity.
What discounts can I get with AAA?
In addition to offering discounted rates on insurance and other services, you’ll also find hefty home insurance discounts. Nearly every homeowner can qualify for one or more of these discounts:
- Small claims forgiveness. Keep your premium from rising for minor claims under $250.
- Disappearing deductible. Slash your deductible $50 for every term you’re claim-free, up to $500 off.
- Claim free. Save big after keeping continuous coverage without any claims for at least a year.
- Claim-free cashback. Earn 3% cash back or policy renewal credit for every term without a claim, up to $50.
- Storm shutters. Install storm shutters on all exterior windows for a discount.
- Smoke-free. Watch your premium drop if every resident is a nonsmoker.
- Homebuyer. Make AAA your first choice after buying your new home and save.
- Retired homeowner. Knock more money off your premium if you’re retired and over age 50 to 55. The Southern California club offers up to 12% off.
- Hail-resistant roof. Shelter your home and wallet from hail damage and get rewarded as a result.
- Fire-resistant roof. Save up to 13% with fire-resistant roofing materials.
- Verified roof age. Prove your roof’s age with documentation for further savings.
- Safety devices. Save 9% or more for protecting your home with burglar alarms, fire alarms or other protective devices.
- Fortified home. Get certified as a fortified or secured home for safer living by the institute for business and home safety.
- Renovated plumbing. Save up to 21% in California or other states if your home’s pipes have been redone or gotten epoxy treatment.
- Loyalty membership. Get rewarded for every year you live and travel as a AAA member, sometimes up to 10%.
- Paperless. Let AAA send you all your documents and notifications electronically for easy savings.
- Advance purchase. Start your policy well ahead of time and get rewarded for your planning.
- Multipolicy. Bundle auto or life insurance for steeper discounts.
- Switch and save. Make the change to AAA as your insurance provider, and let them thank you with a discount.
Pros and cons of AAA home insurance
- Standout coverage options. Coverage for green upgrades, landscaping, home systems breakdowns and even home hosting means customers have a full range of options you won’t find with every insurer.
- Guaranteed replacement cost in California. This feature guarantees your home’s protection without limits, another feature not offered by every insurer.
- High customer ratings. J.D. Power consistently gives AAA home insurance high marks, and customer reviews also give high praise.
- Member benefits. AAA offers unique discounts and perks on shopping and travel available for members alongside its low-cost insurance.
- Claim-free cashback. Earn money or renewal credit for going without a claim, up to $50 per term.
- Offerings differ by location. Because AAA clubs are managed on a local level, coverage, perks and discounts for home policies are different based on your area. You might have to call to find out what options are available in your state.
- Experience varies. Similar to above, your customer experience can differ from club to club as well.
- Not all states served. Some AAA clubs don’t offer AAA home insurance directly, instead they offer a quote through partner companies.
How to apply for AAA home insurance
You can start your AAA policy through an online quote, by phone or with a local agent. For online quotes:
- Click Get an online quote from the AAA home insurance webpage.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Go. Either sign in to your member account or continue as a guest.
- Fill in basic personal and home details. Click Next.
- Provide more in-depth details about your home and coverage needed.
- Receive your quote, choose coverage and start your policy on the desired date.
To apply by phone or through an agent, you can call the number provided for your local club or search for a local agent online.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with AAA?
AAA may ask for several details about your home and residents when applying for coverage:
- Phone number
- Information for your spouse or other co-owners
- Whether you have other AAA insurance
- Home type
- Year of purchase
- Occupants, including pets
- Recent home upgrades, including heating and roofing
- Claims history
How do I make a claim with AAA?
Making a AAA home insurance claim means you’ll have to get in contact with the right representative either by phone or through a local agent.
- By phone. Visit your club’s claims page online to find the claims phone number that applies in your area.
- Local agent. Use the Find an agent tool to search for a local agent near you.
- Online. Enter details about your property damage through your member account online.